News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Coelacanths

Started by Loren Coleman, March 24, 2012, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loren Coleman

Just found you again.

Want to follow up on a topic left hanging on a ledge in the coelacanth thread from before. Doubt if anyone finds this or cares now, but here goes anyway:  An adult living species of coelacanth is 5.5 feet long to 6.5 feet long. Figurine scale should be based on that size, I would assume.

Cheers.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Loren Coleman on March 24, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
Just found you again.

Want to follow up on a topic left hanging on a ledge in the coelacanth thread from before. Doubt if anyone finds this or cares now, but here goes anyway:  An adult living species of coelacanth is 5.5 feet long to 6.5 feet long. Figurine scale should be based on that size, I would assume.

Cheers.

I should think so. I just took a pair of calipers to my Wild Safari figure - it is 138.8 mm long. Now, where's my calculator... ;D

Tylosaurus

hah sweeet Here I found the old topic :)
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=collections&thread=4694&page=1

There are quite a few beauties in there too like these ones:

ZoPteryx

Speaking of Coelacanths, the documenatry "Dinofish" will be airing on NatGeo Wild tonight (4/1). ;)

postsaurischian

There's a plush Coelacanth by Colorata :).

deanm

I have to get one of those plushes! It is too cool!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: deanm on April 06, 2012, 08:19:22 PM
I have to get one of those plushes! It is too cool!
Agreed! :o

postsaurischian

This poor Coelacanth :P is by Takara TOMY A.R.T.S.

SBell

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 09, 2012, 07:22:15 PM

And it's the only Mawsonia figure made so far! I was really hoping it was somehow detachable (but without the dino's lower jaw).

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SBell on April 10, 2012, 12:33:28 AM

And it's the only Mawsonia figure made so far! I was really hoping it was somehow detachable (but without the dino's lower jaw).

Why  do they always make the coelacanth the food of choice for marine reptiles and dinos? >:D

SBell

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 13, 2012, 06:47:38 AM
Quote from: SBell on April 10, 2012, 12:33:28 AM

Why  do they always make the coelacanth the food of choice for marine reptiles and dinos? >:D

Well, they're "old"!  On the other hand, in Planet Dinosaur, they used Onchopristis (or a similar species), which is a huge sawfish!  And the Kinto desktop uses a gar. Oddly, both are with Spinosaurus.

kvastfena

I love coelcanth items and I've always wanted a real big piece of some sort so I was really happy when I saw that Aiko had released a 58 cm/22~23 inch Mega Series toy! The material is kinda like a soft squishy plastic (urethane latex?).
Posing it next to the Wild Safari figure for size comparison;

By the way I'm currently keeping my eyes open for an AQUALAND coelcanth but I'm not really familiar with how rare certain toy series are and whatnot, I've seen two on Japanese auctions that went for around 30-45.000 JPY ($400~500) each, was that an unordinary high price or is that the average that I'll have to brace for? Guess it's time to save up...

brontodocus

Aaaaah! :o :)

I've never seen this huge Aiko latex coelacanth before! That's a really nice one. :) And yes, the Kaiyodo Aquatales figures (I assume you mean those) demand high prices even in Japan. :-\

EDIT: D'oh! Did I really write Aquatales instead of Aqualand? :o :-[ Sorry for all confusion. Urgh. :-X

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

kvastfena

Quote from: brontodocus on August 21, 2012, 06:47:10 PM
Aaaaah! :o :)

I've never seen this huge Aiko latex coelacanth before! That's a really nice one. :) And yes, the Kaiyodo Aquatales figures (I assume you mean those) demand high prices even in Japan. :-\

Oops, accidentally wrote aqualine instead of aqualand yeah! Thank you for the response...At least one don't have to worry about getting "ripped off" when a high price it's the norm, ha ha

SBell

Quote from: kvastfena on August 21, 2012, 04:53:08 PM
I love coelcanth items and I've always wanted a real big piece of some sort so I was really happy when I saw that Aiko had released a 58 cm/22~23 inch Mega Series toy! The material is kinda like a soft squishy plastic (urethane latex?).
Posing it next to the Wild Safari figure for size comparison;

By the way I'm currently keeping my eyes open for an AQUALAND coelcanth but I'm not really familiar with how rare certain toy series are and whatnot, I've seen two on Japanese auctions that went for around 30-45.000 JPY ($400~500) each, was that an unordinary high price or is that the average that I'll have to brace for? Guess it's time to save up...

Where can we find the Aiko, and how much? As for the Aqualands, that price still seems high--maybe  for a whole bunch of them.

brontodocus

Quote from: SBell on August 21, 2012, 07:36:11 PM
As for the Aqualands, that price still seems high--maybe  for a whole bunch of them.
It depends - the small Aqualand figures are cheaper, of course. But thinking of the large Aqualand Coelacanth Boki has, I guess they'll normally end up at a few hundreds. :-\

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

kvastfena

Quote from: SBell on August 21, 2012, 07:36:11 PM

Where can we find the Aiko, and how much? As for the Aqualands, that price still seems high--maybe  for a whole bunch of them.

I'm actually not sure if Aiko has a "main" shop or similar...When browsing around other sites here's some links that seem to still have it in stock though, Japanese only; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

The item's originally is around ~3.400 JPY but since none ships internationally from what I've seen I used a deputy service to get it, with commission fees included it was around $60 (not included shipping it from them to me) Of course if you know someone in japan that can get it for you without a middleman it will most likely be much cheaper!

EDIT: Also yes I'm referring to the bigger figurine and not bottlecap sized ones. Example with what I'm assuming is original box; http://toyskingtyuubu.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-137.html

FUTABA

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 06, 2012, 06:36:58 PM
There's a plush Coelacanth by Colorata :).

I'd love to get one of those plushies. A bit pricey for me at the moment though, but one day...

The only Coelacanth figures I have are the Safari one, the one with the Takara Tomy Spino, and a couple with those 4D Master Plesiosauruseseses. (The latter 3 being located in mouths, but of course...)

That giant one looks awesome.
I really really like blue things.

Megalosaurus

Mini coelacant in the upcoming Cryptozoology Toob by Safari ltd

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

FUTABA

That looks nice. I wish I could get it on it's own though, the other figures don't seem interesting to me really, from what I can see at least.
I really really like blue things.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.