News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pixar's Dinosaur Film name Revealed

Started by Takama, April 25, 2012, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Last year, I remember that Dan said he got an order for a Papo T-Rex to be shipped to Pixar Animation Studios for possable study for some upcoming dinosaur film.

The name of the film has been reveled here. http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1223684p1.html

The Good Dinosaur is what its called.   and apparently it plans on answering the question "what if the asteroid didint kill the dinosaurs?"

Its set to come out on May/14/2014.     lets see if Pixar can take on our observation on their take on Dinosaurs :P

CityRaptor

Something tells me that there will be humans in that Movie. Which should not be the case if non-avian Dinosaurs still were around.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Thagirion

Pixar's been good about research in their films luckily.  I know there is definitely a Jurassic Park fan working there because so many films have JP references which I just love.  I hope there are no humans though as City Raptor said and I hope it's better than the Disney movie a few years back that I like to call "Dinosore". I couldn't stand that.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Takama

I didint mind dinosaur to much.

the only thing that really eirked me in that film were those d*** lemurs. (Come on, its called Dinosaur for crying out loud Disney >:(!)

On the plus side with this new movie, I bet that there will be merchandise from it, which means we could get new Dino toys for our collections.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The concept I saw awhile back had a sauropod Dino and a little boy together...so I'm sure premise will include humans and Dinos co-existing..kind of like What Happened to Patrick's Dinosaurs or Dinotopia  I suppose.

It's a fantasy film probably focusing on the love of Dinosaurs ..and it's PIXAR so I'm certain it will be great. ;D

CityRaptor

Well, PIXAR is pretty much Disney, isn't it?
And that confirms the human-thing. So I will be sceptical about that movie.

Quote from: Thagirion on April 26, 2012, 12:28:39 AM
I hope there are no humans though as City Raptor said and I hope it's better than the Disney movie a few years back that I like to call "Dinosore". I couldn't stand that.

Only thing good about that one was the Soundtrack. And maybe the fact they used some obscure species. The rest not so much. Kinda hard to be worse than that.

Quote from: Takama on April 26, 2012, 02:46:06 AM
the only thing that really eirked me in that film were those d*** lemurs. (Come on, its called Dinosaur for crying out loud Disney >:(!)
Freaking time-displaced Lemurs, riding their horse-faced Iguanodon. ( Leave it to Disney to mess things up )
Also, like the Lemurs, that "Iguanodon" had a really annoying character. The others should have feed him to the Carnotaurus!
Neera: So the deal is, you can have Aladar and those mammals, but you leave the rest of the herd alone.
Carnotaurus: Deal!

Quote from: Takama on April 26, 2012, 02:46:06 AM
On the plus side with this new movie, I bet that there will be merchandise from it, which means we could get new Dino toys for our collections.

Really depends on the Dinosaurs and kinds of toys.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 26, 2012, 10:31:05 AM
Well, PIXAR is pretty much Disney, isn't it?
And that confirms the human-thing. So I will be sceptical about that movie.

Nope. I have yet to see a bad Pixar film. Now Disney on  the other hand...

tyrantqueen

QuoteWell, PIXAR is pretty much Disney, isn't it?
No it is not.

QuoteNope. I have yet to see a bad Pixar film. Now Disney on  the other hand...
I agree. Even the worst Pixar films are at least still watchable (unlike say, Pocahontas II or Lion King 2 which were both horrible...)

I don't think the Pixar dinosaur film will be realistic, so don't get your hopes up. I bet it will be heavily stylised anthropomorphic dinosaurs, like Dinosaur Train, as is Pixar's style. Look at UP, Finding Nemo or A Bug's Life for example.

QuoteFreaking time-displaced Lemurs, riding their horse-faced Iguanodon. ( Leave it to Disney to mess things up )
Also, like the Lemurs, that "Iguanodon" had a really annoying character. The others should have feed him to the Carnotaurus!
Neera: So the deal is, you can have Aladar and those mammals, but you leave the rest of the herd alone.
Carnotaurus: Deal!
I don't think there was a single character in that film that I remotely cared about XD

Himmapaan

Pixar have been bought by Disney and are under their distribution, but they're an entirely separate studio. I suppose one might equate it to Carnegie being distributed by Safari, but otherwise bearing no relation in terms of content decision.

I think if you were expecting to see accuracy and realism with regard to the dinosaurs, you would be profoundly missing the point; and no nerdism can absolve you of it, frankly (speaking as a nerd).  ;) I would suggest enjoying the film for its narrative, cinematic and animated merits, which is what Pixar have excelled at time and again. I can hardly sing their praises enough.

I have, as it were, 'lost faith' (for want of a better phrase) in Disney in recent times. But historically speaking, they were pioneers in animation and have held my very great respect in that regard. They were once a byword for quality, if no longer.

DinoFan45

[quote
I don't think there was a single character in that film that I remotely cared about XD

[/quote]

Hey, yeah the lemurs were time displaced and all, and they kinda did look like horses, but I liked the anklyosaur. It was cute. But, I hope that this one will be accurate to modern terms, with feathered coleosaurs and correctly positioned hands. It now bugs me when I find an amazing illustration, except the theropods hands are wrong. Anywho, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
"Life will find a way."

Blade-of-the-Moon

In regards to Disney's DINOSAUR film, yeah it had issues..but the general dinosaur models were very well done..considering the experts working on it they would have to be right ? Even if Disney didn't always listen to them.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 26, 2012, 03:39:16 PM
I have, as it were, 'lost faith' (for want of a better phrase) in Disney in recent times. But historically speaking, they were pioneers in animation and have held my very great respect in that regard. They were once a byword for quality, if no longer.

I could not have said this any better. Donald movies from the 30s or 40s are simply ingenious :)!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2012, 05:28:23 PM
In regards to Disney's DINOSAUR film, yeah it had issues..but the general dinosaur models were very well done..considering the experts working on it they would have to be right ? Even if Disney didn't always listen to them.

The first seven minutes of DINOSAUR are still some of the best animated Dinosaur scenes I've ever seen!

....... anyway, except for CARS I enjoyed every Pixar movie so far. I'm looking forward to this one :D.

ZoPteryx

This one should be interesting.  I hope they at least made the dinosaurs evolve a little, otherwise the story might as well be set in the past.  Unfortunately, I get the feeling the only reason the setting is the present day is because they'll say humans evolved alongside the dinosaurs  :P.  Hopefully I'll be wrong. ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zopteryx on April 27, 2012, 12:32:39 AM
This one should be interesting.  I hope they at least made the dinosaurs evolve a little, otherwise the story might as well be set in the past.  Unfortunately, I get the feeling the only reason the setting is the present day is because they'll say humans evolved alongside the dinosaurs  :P.  Hopefully I'll be wrong. ^-^

I think it would be good if it were like Dinotopia..somewhere that people and prehistoric animals co-exist.  Though judging by the title, maybe people view all Dinosaurs as bad or at least a lot of trouble ?  I remember in an old episode of Sliders Dinosaurs survived alongside man and ended up being regulated to large enclosed national parks.  I doubt they'll have a time travel element  in there..but that could be possible.  Maybe people recreated Dinosaurs ? There are a LOT of ways to get them into the story of course.

Dan

Pixar actually came back to my shop for some other items; let's just say Papo is not the only company that might be influencing some of their concept designs. They clearly had a focus on certain species, but I still have my fingers crossed they'll bring a good paleoartist on board.

Weaver

OHOHO! Dan that is fantastic news! Woooo! Or at least a few paleoartists and a scientific-consultant. ;)

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Dan on April 27, 2012, 10:15:49 PM
Pixar actually came back to my shop for some other items; let's just say Papo is not the only company that might be influencing some of their concept designs. They clearly had a focus on certain species, but I still have my fingers crossed they'll bring a good paleoartist on board.

Ah, interesting.  I suppose you can't tell us what species? O:-)

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 27, 2012, 02:23:49 AM
I think it would be good if it were like Dinotopia..somewhere that people and prehistoric animals co-exist.  Though judging by the title, maybe people view all Dinosaurs as bad or at least a lot of trouble ?

I'd like it if it were like Dinotopia too, but I get the feeling it's going to be more like Disney's version of How to Train Your Dragon.  Disney and Dreamworks seem to copy eachother a lot.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Zopteryx on April 27, 2012, 11:46:07 PM
Disney and Dreamworks seem to copy eachother a lot.
Hmm, I don't know if that's the case. Counter each other though, yes, I do see it.  ;) But don't forget that Pixar are not Disney. ;) ;D

scallenger

I for one hope this is NOT like Dinotopia. Only reason I'm saying that is because it would be a disservice to Dinotopia, and James Gurney for that matter. As much as I loved the TV series and mini-series of that show for what they were, I still wish his stories had a more accurate adaptation. If Pixar wanted to do their own "Dinotopia", why not just do an actual adaptation of Gurney's story instead of a copy?

With that, I am really hoping there is a more original aspect to Pixar's story. ;) Because if it is simply humans co-existing with dinosaurs... yeah... been there, done that. Give us something NEW.
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on April 28, 2012, 09:29:15 AM
I for one hope this is NOT like Dinotopia. Only reason I'm saying that is because it would be a disservice to Dinotopia, and James Gurney for that matter. As much as I loved the TV series and mini-series of that show for what they were, I still wish his stories had a more accurate adaptation. If Pixar wanted to do their own "Dinotopia", why not just do an actual adaptation of Gurney's story instead of a copy?

With that, I am really hoping there is a more original aspect to Pixar's story. ;) Because if it is simply humans co-existing with dinosaurs... yeah... been there, done that. Give us something NEW.

There are a lot of different ways to tackle humans and dinos co-existing..a Dinotopia-type story could be good though with a  more modern slant..recall in What Happened to Patrick's Dinosaurs the dinosaurs did everything for people.  I've personally hoped Miyazaki would do an official Dinotopia film. ;)

Taking the quote from IGN :

Here's the official synopsis for the film, which opens May 30, 2014: "What if the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct? This hilarious, heartfelt and original tale is directed by Bob Peterson (co-director/writer, Up; writer, Finding Nemo) and produced by John Walker (The Incredibles, The Iron Giant)." 

It seems very likely there will be no evolution involved in their appearance..unless maybe they can speak now. Especially with the " giant " dinosaurs not becoming extinct.

With the title, The Good Dinosaur , it sounds like most other Dinosaurs are probably considered " bad " . So there is a How to train your dragon feel to it there.

Some concept art from awhile back for the film :

The reminds me a lot of the book Dinosaur Bob : http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Adventures-Lazardo-Reading-Rainbow/dp/0060210745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335628809&sr=8-1

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: