News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

reptiles & amphibians

Started by copper, June 30, 2012, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

Sigh... those Coloratas make me want to start collecting turtles...

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 27, 2012, 08:25:00 PM
I hope this little guy is welcome here. He is made by Wild Republic and comes as a boxed set, unpainted, along with something like six paints and a brush. I chose to use my own set of acrylics and so forth. I was actually somewhat taken with the detail and level of work on the sculpt.

Ooh, I like! The detail really is good, and your paintjob suits him.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

sauroid

Colorata veiled chameleon

Kaiyodo alligator snapping turtle
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: sauroid on September 10, 2012, 05:07:47 PM

Nice finds :)!
Here's the Colorata Chameleon compared to the Kaiyodo:

sauroid

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 10, 2012, 07:24:25 PM
Quote from: sauroid on September 10, 2012, 05:07:47 PM

Nice finds :)!
Here's the Colorata Chameleon compared to the Kaiyodo:

thanks!  ^-^
im envious of your kaiyodo veiled cham
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

sauroid

Kaiyodo red ear slider hatchlings

Kaiyodo leopard geckos

Kaiyodo anole

more...

stemturtle

Play Visions Lizards

1995 Play Visions Chameleons and Geckos

1. Veiled Chameleon, 2. Parson's Chameleon, 3. Panther Chameleon

4. Panther Gecko, 5. Leopard Gecko, 6. Madagascar Day Gecko

Veghead.com sells the set of 6 Play Visions lizards made of soft PVC as 3 chameleons and 3 geckos.

1998 Play Visions Exotic Lizards

1. Rhinoceros iguana, 2. Frilled neck lizard, 3. Gila monster

4. Thorny devil*, 5. Helmeted iguana
* Photo of thorny devil courtesy of Kikimalou from Schleichtiersammler.

6. Water monitor, 7. Double-crested basilisk, 8. Galapagos marine iguana

This set of 8 is no longer offered on Veghead.com.  The item numbers are sequential.

Yujin released a set of 23 lizards in 2002.  8 models from that set are recasts of the Play Visions exotics, marked with the same item numbers, except that the date was changed from 1998 to 2002, and the PV trademark was obliterated.  Too bad that the numbers on the Yujin paper labels do not correspond to the PV item numbers. Yujin lizards that are offered now on eBay are made of soft PVC rather than the harder plastic used in 1998 and also used initially in 2002.  The exotic lacertilians pictured above are a mix of figures dated 1998 and 2002.

EDIT: Water monitor by Yujin pictured above was a Nile monitor in the original 1998 PV set.  See reply # 49 by Zopteryx.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

ZoPteryx

Did PV do some different paint schemes on the 1998 lizards?  I have a basilisk with a rather different pattern and a Nile Monitor (same as Water Monitor?) with different colors as well. ???

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on September 26, 2012, 05:42:24 AM
Did PV do some different paint schemes on the 1998 lizards?  I have a basilisk with a rather different pattern and a Nile Monitor (same as Water Monitor?) with different colors as well. ???

There are a lot of knockoffs out there, many of which didn't even bother to remove the PV symbol (that's the reason PV stopped making most of their small figures).  But I also know of a few instances of different paint schemes.

So, maybe? Although I've never seen that.

Jetoar

Quote from: SBell on September 26, 2012, 06:45:44 AM
Quote from: Zopteryx on September 26, 2012, 05:42:24 AM

There are a lot of knockoffs out there, many of which didn't even bother to remove the PV symbol (that's the reason PV stopped making most of their small figures).  But I also know of a few instances of different paint schemes.

So, maybe? Although I've never seen that.

Oooh. Is the first time that I see Play Visions reptiles. I like Gila monster and Double-crested basilisk  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ZoPteryx

Here are those variants I mentioned:

I totally forgot about the Gila Monster which is really different.  They all look and feel like the real deal compared to the ones I've got that match the previous photos.  The one anomally I found is that the PV on the Gila's belly is not encircled like the others.  That and the monitor is labeled as a Nile Monitor, not a Water Monitor. ???

stemturtle

First off, Zopteryx, your diorama entry was phenomenal.  I was surprised that Epidexipteryx did not take first prize. Wonderful art.

Thank you for posting the photo of variants.  These threads really benefit from a group effort.  My objective was historical, to record the species in the sequence, because Veghead pulled their photo of the exotics.  Like SBell said, there are many knockoffs.  This was only an introduction.

As I mentioned, the examples in my photos were a mix of the years.  The 2002 lizards by Yujin do not have the PV trademark. Some of my figures are flexible plastic.  If the ones that you have are hard plastic, you are very lucky because they are rarely available.  I noticed that the basilisk's tail in your photo has less curvature than my copy.  I do not know how the monitor lizard changed its species. The new casts in soft PVC of the monitor and the Gila monster both look kind of bloated. The Yujin marine iguana sold now on eBay is black rather than mottled green.  Play Visions also had sets based on location.  I think there was a green iguana in the South American set.  Photos are invited.

ZoPteryx

Thank you very much for the kind words Stemturtle! :)

Those lizards are hard plastic, so I guess I'm very lucky! :))

Thought I'd share some more reptile figures.  I don't know if these are complete sets or anything.

PV Crocodilians (1996): Orinoco Crocodile (#6), Black Caiman (#3), Cuban Crocodile (#4), & Dwarf Caiman (#2)

K&M Lizards: Komodo Dragon, Fijian Iguana, Day Gecko

This group came with a remote control landrover and Steve Irwin action figure ( :'(). 

Tentative IDs: Saltwater Crocodile, Black Mamba, Puff Adder, Death Adder

Except for the PV Madagascar Boa, the following reptiles are labled XX and then the species name. ???  They're sort of like oversized PVs in looks but not in material or color.

Zebra-tailed Lizard, Black-tailed Rattlesnake, Southern Copperhead, Common Gartersnake

Arizona Night-Lizard, Five-lined Skink, Desert-Grassland Whiptail (not labeled XX, so maybe a knockoff?), Southern Alligator Lizard, Desert Iguana

Common Iguana, Leaf-toed Gecko, Greater Short-horned Lizard, Flat-tailed Horned Lizard, Collared Lizard, Blue Spiny Lizard.

stemturtle

Great photos, Zopteryx.  I want the PV crocs.  Probably a set of 8.  I know of 3 more: American Alligator, Johnston's Crocodile, and Saltwater Crocodile.  If I owned them, I would post pics.  The Fijian banded iguana resembles a green iguana made by Play Visions in 1998, but smaller than the exotics. 

What's up with the coincidence of interests in paleo and herpetology?  How do we limit our collecting?

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on September 29, 2012, 03:20:00 PM
Great photos, Zopteryx.  I want the PV crocs.  Probably a set of 8.  I know of 3 more: American Alligator, Johnston's Crocodile, and Saltwater Crocodile.  If I owned them, I would post pics.  The Fijian banded iguana resembles a green iguana made by Play Visions in 1998, but smaller than the exotics. 

What's up with the coincidence of interests in paleo and herpetology?  How do we limit our collecting?

I would assume that the 8th is probably a gharial. I have a Johnston's.  I had a Cuban as well, but it had its snout bit off.

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on September 29, 2012, 04:25:32 PM

I would assume that the 8th is probably a gharial. I have a Johnston's.  I had a Cuban as well, but it had its snout bit off.

SBell, if you decide to post a photo of the Johnston's Crocodile, please mention the item number.  We could compile a checklist eventually.  These figures are pretty rare.

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on September 29, 2012, 04:50:53 PM
Quote from: SBell on September 29, 2012, 04:25:32 PM

SBell, if you decide to post a photo of the Johnston's Crocodile, please mention the item number.  We could compile a checklist eventually.  These figures are pretty rare.

I just checked out what I have--the PV I have is a Tomistoma, number 07. Maybe it was a Johnston's with the broken snout.

[attachment msg=20148][/attachment]

stemturtle

Crikey!  The false gharial!  You have the prize, SBell.  Thanks for the photo and item number.   :)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on September 29, 2012, 09:29:32 PM
Crikey!  The false gharial!  You have the prize, SBell.  Thanks for the photo and item number.   :)

I know--it was just in a pile of dinos and other animals that was given to the T.rex Centre by a friend. That's also where the sad Johnston's croc was.

ZoPteryx

Answer: We don't, we just buy more shelves for the figures! :))

So no info on those "XX" reptiles?  Seems like a rather interesting selection of North American species.

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on October 06, 2012, 06:34:00 AM

Answer: We don't, we just buy more shelves for the figures! :))

So no info on those "XX" reptiles?  Seems like a rather interesting selection of North American species.

There's not much to say on the XX lizards--I've had the whole set for almost 20 years. Got them from a vending machine!  They are neat little lizards, but I wouldn't imagine that there's much more to learn, other than they seem to show up occasionally in other sets and lots.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.