News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

As is no doubt the case with most dinosaur collectors, we generally love any interesting prehistoric sculpts, but figures representing a species that has not been portrayed by any other figures (yet) are just extra intriguing. ;)  I started this thread with the intent of creating a comprehensive record of species that are only represented in the realm of toys via a single known sculpt. I realize this sometimes is difficult to define, considering the various subspecies of dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters that make a clear delineation of a separate species hard (as illustrated by the recent Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan debate), in which case the name the respective toy company put on their figure (if any) takes priority to establish just what species they thought they were releasing (even in cases when they were blatantly misinformed). I'm not excluding repaints or even resculpts.
Every time a species is revealed to be represented by multiple figures (for instance, when new figures are produced or a previously unheard of sculpt pops up), it gets scrapped from the list. Feel free to add your own figures you think are one-of-a-kind, preferably with pics, I'd like to see what else is out there I'm not yet aware of.  Heck, I might be wrong about a lot of them myself... :)

Please note these pictures aren't mine but I have used them in the hopes the people who took them won't mind their pics being put to good use. If someone stumbles onto his/her pics and doesn't want them to be used here, please let me know.
Here we go:

EDIT: the new full list can be found in its own thread:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1369.msg34417#msg34417

Brontozaurus

Cadbury's Yowie line included a lot of species that have so far only been released in it. Ignoring non-dinosaurs, they made:

-Fulgurotherium
-Nanatius
-Austrosaurus
-Kakuru
-Ozraptor
-Rapator
-Timimus
-Atlascopcosaurus
-Prenocephale

They also did a lot of unique non-dinosaur species, but as the majority of them are Cenozoic in age I'll only list the unique Mesozoic species because that's what most people are probably interested in.

-Tasmaniosaurus
-Siderops
-Woolungasaurus
-Platypterigius
-Steropodon
-Kollikodon
-Umoonasaurus
-Mauisaurus
-Rikisaurus
-Imperial ammonite
-Cratochelene
-Deltasaurus
-Dubbolimulus
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

SBell

I guess the first question I'd have is, what defines a 'company' here--can it be any recognizable figure?

In which case, Pentaceratops has been made by FameMaster as a very good puzzle figure. There is also at least a few Dinosaur King figures, plus a COG Matchbox figure.

And I'm pretty sure Achelousaurus also showed up with Dinosaur King.

Chalicotherium has also been made by the Predators series.

This is a neat idea--but I don't have time to add anything now. Especially if I'm including pictures!

Patrx

Kaiyodo's Sinosauropteryx might not be considered unique, since Bowman Arts has sold a resin kit:

Roselaar

'Figure' can be anything we discuss on these boards, plastic models, resin kits, stuffed animals, etc. As for 'company', seems simple enough at first, a specific line or lines made by one particular manufacturer. Of course this can get confusing with the likes of Safari also producing the Carnegie Collection figures. Anyway, companies are not of major importance here, species are.

Thanks for the info on those already existing specimens, SBell and Pixelboy. I'll take them down from my first post. Someone better add some new examples (preferably with pics).

Patrx

CollectA's Koreaceratops

and Deinocheirus.

Shane Foulkes' Torvosaurus.

Safari's Inostrancevia.

Takama

CollectA
Augustina
Proceratosaurus
Jobaria
Becklspinax
Alioramus
Nigersaurus
Just to name a few

amargasaurus cazaui

I think what I will do is make my own suggestions and then if any hold up to the criteria I can return and add pictures. Looking at my own collection I suggest.

Cetiosaurus from invicta
Troodon from Invicta
Megalosaurus from Invicta
Nigersaurus from Collect A?
Jobaria from Collect A
dilong from collect A
Guanlong from Collect A
Late additions
scipionyx from favorite desktop models.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

radman

This is a neat idea for a thread and worth exploring - I do agree that any model, even resin kits, should be included.  That being said, the Krentz Antediluvia series has both a Chalicotherium and an Achelosaurus.  Not long ago I proposed Isisaurus, by Rarebreed on Shapeways; sbell noted that a Dinoking figure also exists.  Krentz also has some unique AFAIK Shapeways figures - Bistahieversor and Ekrixinatosaurus come to mind.  Cliff Green has a Prognathodon.  CollectA is also good at making first models of a species, including Neovenator, Proceratosaurus, Australovenator, Ampelosaurus, Attenborosaurus, the list goes on...
I can post pix of most of these, eventually

radman

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 04:54:14 PM
I think what I will do is make my own suggestions and then if any hold up to the criteria I can return and add pictures. Looking at my own collection I suggest.

Cetiosaurus from invicta
Troodon from Invicta
Jobaria from Collect A
dilong from collect A
Guanlong from Collect A

Just off the top of my head - Nigersaurus was also made by Safari (BTW, better than the CollectA IMHO) I think there was also a Korean expo figure, Megalo was made by both Toyway and CollectA, Krentz made the first Jobaria, Primaeval Designs makes both a Saurornitholestes  (that might be unique?) and Guanlong (also available as a 2009 expo figure).  Still, no other Troodons?  I see a niche that needs to be filled!
:))

Roselaar

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 04:54:14 PM

Cetiosaurus from invicta
Troodon from Invicta
Jobaria from Collect A
dilong from collect A
Guanlong from Collect A
Late additions
scipionyx from favorite desktop models.

Radman is right about some of these already having been explored by other companies too. The Dilong and Guanlong, you meant to say Safari, right? I don't remember Collecta making these (yet). Guanlong is not unique though. Less sure about Dilong (though it isn't unique to Safari, having also been appropriated for their Feathered Dinos Toob).

So updating the list:

-Deltadromeus
-Vagaceratops
-Mixosaurus
-Estemmenosuchus
-Fulgurotherium
-Nanatius
-Austrosaurus
-Kakuru
-Ozraptor
-Rapator
-Timimus
-Atlascopcosaurus
-Prenocephale
-Tasmaniosaurus
-Siderops
-Woolungasaurus
-Platypterigius
-Steropodon
-Kollikodon
-Umoonasaurus
-Mauisaurus
-Rikisaurus
-Imperial ammonite
-Cratochelene
-Deltasaurus
-Dubbolimulus
-Koreaceratops
-Deinocheirus
-Torvosaurus
-Inostrancevia
-Becklespinax
-Alioramus
-Proceratosaurus
-Troodon
-Scipionyx
-Bistahieversor
-Ekrixinatosaurus
-Prognathodon
-Neovenator (Collecta x2)
-Australovenator
-Ampelosaurus
-Attenborosaurus
-Agustinia (Collecta x2)

Pictures may indeed be a little too much effort, though I would still love to see the models I'm not familiar with.  ^-^

SBell

Deinocheirus is also done by the Predators series (I have one).

Also, Jobaria showed up with a Japanese diorama set.

Agustinia is available on Shapeways by Krentz.

And I can't prove it now, but I'm sure Alioramus has show up elsewhere. Check that, I think it was an odd softplay dino from Disney or something http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-size-dinosaur-Alioramus-/320898326154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab707de8a. There may also have been a Predators figure but I haven't followed closely enough.

How about the Dino Wars Keratocephalus, Aucasaurus and Monolophosaurus.

And the only Pawpawsaurus I am aware of is done several times by Dinosaur King.

And from the Dawn of the Dinos series, Frenguellisaurus (I know, it's probably just Herrerasaurus, but still), Exaeretodon, Ischigualastia, Fasolasuchus (skeleton), Lessemsaurus (skeleton) and Promastodonsaurus.

I am sure to have others, but I can't do it all right now.

Gwangi

Some from my own collection include the...

Kenner Coelophysis pair
Invicta and CollectA Sceldiosaurus
Safari DoC Yangchuanosaurus
CollectA Alamosaurus
Carnegie Microraptor
Safari Leptoceratops
Safari Gorgosaurus
Safari Postosuchus

That is all I can think of for now.

EDIT: I realize some of these probably exist as kits and such but at they very least they aren't produced often.

Patrx

Quote from: Gwangi on August 28, 2012, 09:53:26 PM

Kenner Coelophysis pair
CollectA Alamosaurus
Carnegie Microraptor
Safari Leptoceratops
Safari Gorgosaurus
Safari Postosuchus

EDIT: I realize some of these probably exist as kits and such but at they very least they aren't produced often.

Also, Kaiyodo makes at least one Microraptor and a Coelophysis.

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on August 28, 2012, 09:53:26 PM

Kenner Coelophysis pair
CollectA Alamosaurus
Carnegie Microraptor
Safari Leptoceratops
Safari Gorgosaurus
Safari Postosuchus

Since you listed two Scelidosaurus figures I won't point pout anything further there...

There are several Postosuchus figures (WwD, Predators, a few others); Yanhgchuanosaurus is also made by Colorata; Alamosaurus is made by David Krentz on Shapeways; the Microraptor and Coelophysis are already mentioned.

amargasaurus cazaui

Was the Cetiosaurus by Invicta disqualified then? Or did I miss it on the final list?
Beiaposaurus by Carnegie?
Caudipteryx by Carnegie?
I am guessing there is another Plateosarus somewhere, but they sure do not seem common, so perhaps Carnegies Plateosaurus.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 11:07:46 PM
Was the Cetiosaurus by Invicta disqualified then? Or did I miss it on the final list?
Caudipteryx by Carnegie?
I am guessing there is another Plateosarus somewhere, but they sure do not seem common, so perhaps Carnegies Plateosaurus.

There are quite a few Chinasaur plateosaurs out there and also one by CollectA, Marx, Kaiyodo and probably more as well. I'm actually kind of surprised at how many there are.

I figured those I listed probably were made by Kaiyodo or Shapeways or someone but those companies make just about everything don't they. I should have remembered the Toyway Postosuchus though.

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 11:07:46 PM
Caudipteryx by Carnegie?

Cetiosaurus is also made by CollectA.

ZoPteryx

How about the Safari Kaprosuchus or the Playvision Peltobatrachus?

amargasaurus cazaui

Following the implications of this thread, as a suggestion it might be an idea to also add the list of figures not yet released. If such were instated, you would then have effectively created a quite useful guide of figures with more than one manufacturer, figures with a single version in known fandom, and finally those only dreamed of.

If such is created, I nominate yinlong, and chaoyangsaurus, and a SINGLE version of Koreaceratops, as well as zuniceratops, and bagaceratops

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.