News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

'Himmapaanensis'

Started by Himmapaan, March 17, 2012, 04:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Niroot, I agree with the others, I can not see any problem in the migration scene. :-\ But then again, you as a professional artist are of course more critical than we are. And that's probably only natural. Sometimes striving for excellence may seem like a hindrance but in the end nobody who is easily satisfied with her/his own work will likely develop further.
Quote from: postsaurischian on March 31, 2012, 02:16:20 PM
I am ..... and I kinda like it being the only hairy mammal between all those terrible lizards ^-^ ;D .
- mammoth saying: "hey brontodocus, I can see ya ;D !"
;D Aaaah! How come I haven't read your post earlier! Really a mammoth? Now I know why I couldn't spot a Guanlong! ??? :)
Quote from: radman on April 05, 2012, 11:29:29 AM
Hear, hear!  Hopefully there's a Kinaree (me!) in there somewhere, but regardless, this is a really cool concept that I would def buy a print/t-shirt of.  Also, I should mention, "Die Bremerstadtmusikanten" was one of my favorite stories as a child, and I will be getting your version soon to read to my children.  Any chance you have a few spare copies lying around and could autograph on for me?
Isn't it funny, a week ago I've ordered "The Musicians of Bremen" from amazon.uk! :) Hmmm, and I already thought about how to arrange getting Niroot's autograph into it...

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on April 05, 2012, 12:01:07 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on March 31, 2012, 02:16:20 PM
I am ..... and I kinda like it being the only hairy mammal between all those terrible lizards ^-^ ;D .
- mammoth saying: "hey brontodocus, I can see ya ;D !"
;D Aaaah! How come I haven't read your post earlier! Really a mammoth? Now I know why I couldn't spot a Guanlong! ??? :)

I cannot find the 'What Dinosaur are you?' thread in the Archive (maybe someone can ???).
Of course I'd prefer to be a Guanlong, but the question was not 'What Dinosaur do you want to be?' in the old thread.
So I described myself as a mammoth (you know because of ears & hair and such).
If I remember correctly you said you were a Therizinosaurus because of your laziness when it comes to cutting your fingernails ;D.

Correct me if my story is wrong, Niroot - if you're really going to rework it entirely I could maybe go as Guanlong :), although - as mentioned before - I also like that stand-alone-mammal-thing.

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 05, 2012, 01:31:15 PM
If I remember correctly you said you were a Therizinosaurus because of your laziness when it comes to cutting your fingernails ;D .
No I've never said that... let me check... oh, wait... Noooooooo! :( ;D
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=3414&page=1#86264
and that's also the thread you were searching for! ;D
Actually my fingernails are super clean and short, really! :P

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Dyscrasia

I've just seen this epic piece of art and my jaw hit the floor.

But being an amateur 'artist' myself, I do kind of understand when the artists themselves aren't fully satisfied with their work while others consider it awesome.

Even when I am somewhat satisfied initially with some of my work, the more I look at it, the more flaws I find...

Tylosaurus

Hey Niroot nice Mosasaur you got there swimming on the right central flank, how about adding a Tylosaurus proriger also, that will make that Mosasaur feel less alone
Just wondering  O:-)

Himmapaan

Thank you so much for your kind words and enthusiasm, everyone. This can only spur me on when I come to work on the revision. Actually, it's just as well I'm abandoning this now, as I can make some appropriate changes. :)

Obviously, I couldn't draw every member, so I had to make some decisions about whom to include. The group consists of mostly the regulars and veterans, but that wasn't the sole criteria. I should also emphasize that this is not meant as a slight against anyone who happens not to be depicted. Everyone else is off screen, so to speak.  ;D

But I can tell you that everyone who has commented so far is there (with the exception of Radman; but you neglected to mention anywhere what you are! However, you will certainly be included in the new version). Josep, yes, you are indeed that Velociraptor, and Dyscrasia, you are the Troodon just to his right. Chuck, you are there, hopefully acting as representative for any other T. rex members we have. Tylo, you are that Tylosaurus. Has this not occurred to you in all this time?  :P (The marine reptiles are swimming through the air, by the way, in a not dissimilar manner to the Pines of Rome sequence from Fantasia 2000) And Helge, you can certainly be Guanlong instead henceforth. :)

It wasn't so much the difficulty with inking or with intricacy, both aspects are usually part of my work. I don't really know what went wrong, but it's just not working for me anymore.  :-\ It may be my having chosen the wrong paper, or even something as banal as the use of black ink. I much prefer sepia and don't know what made me use black this time. Not that it should have made a difference as far as application goes, but there we are...

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 05, 2012, 08:14:32 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words and enthusiasm, everyone. This can only spur me on when I come to work on the revision. Actually, it's just as well I'm abandoning this now, as I can make some appropriate changes. :)

Obviously, I couldn't draw every member, so I had to make some decisions about whom to include. The group consists of mostly the regulars and veterans, but that wasn't the sole criteria. I should also emphasize that this is not meant as a slight against anyone who happens not to be depicted. Everyone else is off screen, so to speak.  ;D

But I can tell you that everyone who has commented so far is there (with the exception of Radman; but you neglected to mention anywhere what you are! However, you will certainly be included in the new version). Josep, yes, you are indeed that Velociraptor, and Dyscrasia, you are the Troodon just to his right. Chuck, you are there, hopefully acting as representative for any other T. rex members we have. Tylo, you are that Tylosaurus. Has this not occurred to you in all this time?  :P (The marine reptiles are swimming through the air, by the way, in a not dissimilar manner to the Pines of Rome sequence from Fantasia 2000) And Helge, you can certainly be Guanlong instead henceforth. :)

It wasn't so much the difficulty with inking or with intricacy, both aspects are usually part of my work. I don't really know what went wrong, but it's just not working for me anymore.  :-\ It may be my having chosen the wrong paper, or even something as banal as the use of black ink. I much prefer sepia and don't know what made me use black this time. Not that it should have made a difference as far as application goes, but there we are...

Oh noes!
Sorry for being such a blind clown Really feel free to flick your tail at me for my blindness haha xD

mmfrankford

I see a styracosaurus!  ;D This would make an absolutely amazing wrap around graphic for a tee!

Gryphoceratops

Which Triceratops am I? 

Beautiful by the way.  I actually would like to know what each of those are and who they represent!

Tylosaurus

You could also see it as a species list of all the members, that way showing all the types of Dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles the members have chosen :P
This way Triceratops can be many people at once same for Tyronannosaurus Rex or Apatosaurus/Brontsaurus

Maybe this was the goal of the art :) It is after all a beautiful piece of art ;)

tyrantqueen

Really really lovely. Have you ever considered doing professional paleoart? (y'know, for books and stuff)

I would buy it.

QuoteYou could also see it as a species list of all the members, that way showing all the types of Dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles the members have chosen :P
This way Triceratops can be many people at once same for Tyronannosaurus Rex or Apatosaurus/Brontsaurus
I didn't really think it was supposed to represent any members specifically. I think Himmapaan just used the most popular species of dinosaurs and used them to represent the whole population of the forum. That's the way I see it  :)

Tylosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2012, 09:43:19 PM
Really really lovely. Have you ever considered doing professional paleoart? (y'know, for books and stuff)

I would buy it.

QuoteYou could also see it as a species list of all the members, that way showing all the types of Dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles the members have chosen :P
I didn't really think it was supposed to represent any members specifically. I think Himmapaan just used the most popular species of dinosaurs and used them to represent the whole population of the forum. That's the way I see it  :)

hehe oh okay :P But yes I would definitely buy this too, if this would be added in to a Dinosaur book; hmm maybe contacting William Stout is an idea or you could make your own book of art Himmapaan ? ^-^

tyrantqueen

Sort of like those encyclopedia type books....Dougal Dixon's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs for example...but imagine if the artwork was drawn by Himmapaan...it would be awesome ^-^

Tylosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2012, 10:06:12 PM
Sort of like those encyclopedia type books....Dougal Dixon's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs for example...but imagine if the artwork was drawn by Himmapaan...it would be awesome ^-^
That would only be a dream hehe and so cool too, from someone we all know from the DTF, I mean how cool is that!

paleoferroequine

Well, certainly don't get discouraged now since you have put all that time and effort into such a beautiful piece of art. I take it you are going to start anew? Three cheers from the peanut gallery!!
I also would like to see a book done by you. I would certainly buy it! ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 05, 2012, 08:14:32 PM
Obviously, I couldn't draw every member, so I had to make some decisions about whom to include. The group consists of mostly the regulars and veterans, but that wasn't the sole criteria.

Yay! I'm a regular/veteran! Seems like only yesterday I was writing my first post.  :)

I would love to see a dinosaur book illustrated by Himmapaan. A children's book in particular seems fitting but any book would do.

Himmapaan

Chris, you are the Triceratops on the left. :) I could do a quick guide showing which is whom, if you can't wait for the new version (and let's face it, it might be Christmas before I finish that  ::))?

It is hoped that I might get to illustrate dinosaurs formally one day. I only got back into drawing dinosaurs in earnest since I joined the forum (summer 2010), so hitherto, none of my publishers knew anything about my interest in palaeo-art. Fingers crossed I'll have the chance to show them some of these before long!

postsaurischian

martin garratt

What absolutely wonderful drawings; you have an amazing talent.
I would seriously love to commission you to draw me a Baryonyx some day.

Martin

Himmapaan

Thank you so much, Martin!

I wanted to finish this in time for Easter. I did not. The piece is 8.5 x 11.5cm.

Also, whilst attending Sepp's wonderful livestream the other day, one of the things which came up in conversation was that I tend to ink in with brushes, rather than pens. I posted this picture some while back, over on V.1, but as a refresher for anyone interested, these are the brushes I use most often.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: