You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Whole bunch of hadrosaurs found in Spain

Started by Gryphoceratops, September 27, 2012, 01:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

ZoPteryx

Very interesting, wonder if they're Tethyshadros or something else.  Also be cool to find out if this was just a mass burial sight or if these animals really were in association.

Balaur

This is awesome news. We should have dinosaurs reported on the news with more time to explain why its cool and important, instead of "we found 200 dinosaurs. Next news item..."

s.foulkes

So true, i actually had a person say, " whats the big deal about old bones anyway, why spend time and money digging up bones of animals that will have no impact or make a difference in our currant world! " No respect, its a relivant and huge part of our history on this planet, just like the history our schools teach our children except much more interesting and dominate subject matter. If people could see a pack of Tyrannosaur take down a triceratops in person , everything they thought was amazing would be forgotten in an instant! imagine the noise , the sight , the feel of the ground thunder, the blood shooting 12 feet in the air from huge arteries and bone crunching ,bellowing , massive power and force right in front of you. THen they see you...well you get the point.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: s.foulkes on October 02, 2012, 02:32:08 PM
So true, i actually had a person say, " whats the big deal about old bones anyway, why spend time and money digging up bones of animals that will have no impact or make a difference in our currant world! " No respect, its a relivant and huge part of our history on this planet, just like the history our schools teach our children except much more interesting and dominate subject matter. If people could see a pack of Tyrannosaur take down a triceratops in person , everything they thought was amazing would be forgotten in an instant! imagine the noise , the sight , the feel of the ground thunder, the blood shooting 12 feet in the air from huge arteries and bone crunching ,bellowing , massive power and force right in front of you. THen they see you...well you get the point.

I agree and hate it when people try to pull that "what is paleontology doing for society" card.  Its like all of the sudden nobody is allowed to do anything that is just fun and interesting?  I could just as easily turn around and ask why people watch sports.  Because its fun and interesting to them.  No difference.  Even so paleontology could be an easy gateway to get kids interested in science and the world around them. 

amargasaurus cazaui

Well said Gryph, and aside from the concept of learning what made them extinct and perhaps ensuring our own continuity as a possible by-product
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

It makes me upset too. We shoud really try to keep dinosaurs away from a kid only thing too. It is way more complecated and scientific than people know. Several kids at school tell me, "who cares about dinosaurs, there stupid."

Then I bring up that Troodon and Balaur are smarter than them and they go "huh? Whats those?"

I even say that birds are dinosaurs and they still are "nope. Cold blooded reptiles." I think you all can imagine the anger that built up in me at that time. I explained it to them and they still think of dinosaurs in the 1930s style!

Plus, dinosaurs have a lot to due with evolution. Evolution produces many wonders. To me, evolution is very intresting and amazing.

I do agree though. The day Yutyrannus was described, I didn't even know it was described, and I was on the internets that day.  :P

And actually have paleontologists to report on it. The dailymail is a great example of horrible palaeontology news reporting, and science reporting in general.

There coverage on Darwinopterus was the most ridiciolus I have ever heard. It was
"new flying dinosaur solves mystery of how humans evolved so quickly afterr the Ice Age."

What the hell!  :o

They also said Pangea was still around 135 million years ago.  >:(

I feel strongly on this issue too, so sorry for a lengthy post. I am very fond of dinosaurs, and in future generations, we can being people back to reality and show how exciting dinosaurs really are. The fact that giant tyrannosaurs had feathers, and dinosaurs are around today, to cannibalism in Majungasaurus. It was probably the best time in Earths 4.6 billion year history to be around in. No other animal was so succesful and kept that success for more than 231.4 million years. They really where more adaptable than humans, ans by far the most dominante group of archosaurs on the planet. If only the asteroid haden't killed off most of the non-avian dinosaurs.

There you go, rant is over.  >:(

Seijun

Paleontology is so much more than just studying dinosaurs! It is the study of all prehistoric organisms, the history of all life as we know it. Modern human history takes up, what... only about 0.000001% of earths history from the time life first evolved? If studying that other 99.999999% is stupid or not important, then I should think studying any history is pretty dumb. Why should we know who the first US president was? Or what countries fought in WWII? Or who invented the lightbulb? How does that information help us? lol I don't understand how anyone can think paleontology/earth history doesn't matter, or that "dinosaurs are just for kids".
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Seijun

*double-post
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on October 05, 2012, 06:59:26 AM
If only the asteroid haden't killed off most of the non-avian dinosaurs.

Not so certain that even that is a generally accepted and universal theory anymore, there is alot of evidence to suggest otherwise.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I feel strongly on this issue too, so sorry for a lengthy post. I am very fond of dinosaurs, and in future generations, we can being people back to reality and show how exciting dinosaurs really are. The fact that giant tyrannosaurs had feathers, and dinosaurs are around today, to cannibalism in Majungasaurus. It was probably the best time in Earths 4.6 billion year history to be around in. No other animal was so succesful and kept that success for more than 231.4 million years. They really where more adaptable than humans, ans by far the most dominante group of archosaurs on the planet. If only the asteroid haden't killed off most of the non-avian dinosaurs.

If that asteroid hadn't hit we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't know about you but I like being here. Dinosaurs are really cool and all, I'm just as impressed by them and as infatuated with them as you. I wouldn't however undermine the other species this planet has produced. It is easy to say that dinosaurs as a group are more adaptable than humans as a single species but we humans are apart of another group of animals (mammals) with an equally interesting back story and an ability to adapt (we are here after all). As much as I love dinosaurs we mammals have our merits. The fact that we're talking about this is one of them.

QuotePaleontology is so much more than just studying dinosaurs! It is the study of all prehistoric organisms, the history of all life as we know it. Modern human history takes up, what... only about 0.000001% of earths history from the time life first evolved? If studying that other 99.999999% is stupid or not important, then I should think studying any history is pretty dumb. Why should we know who the first US president was? Or what countries fought in WWII? Or who invented the lightbulb? How does that information help us? lol I don't understand how anyone can think paleontology/earth history doesn't matter, or that "dinosaurs are just for kids".

The study of life on earth, natural history and the sciences are all very important I agree, they're all also very poorly taught in most schools. Those are sciences though and I would never think of eliminating history as a subject simply based on the lack of sufficient science education. The study of our time here and of deep time are both equally important but I don't think they or their value are comparable. I'm sorry but that last part there, I can't read it in a way that doesn't make me cringe.

Yutyrannus

It makes me upset too. We shoud really try to keep dinosaurs away from a kid only thing too. It is way more complecated and scientific than people know. Several kids at school tell me, "who cares about dinosaurs, there stupid."

Then I bring up that Troodon and Balaur are smarter than them and they go "huh? Whats those?"

I even say that birds are dinosaurs and they still are "nope. Cold blooded reptiles." I think you all can imagine the anger that built up in me at that time. I explained it to them and they still think of dinosaurs in the 1930s style!

Plus, dinosaurs have a lot to due with evolution. Evolution produces many wonders. To me, evolution is very intresting and amazing.

I do agree though. The day Yutyrannus was described, I didn't even know it was described, and I was on the internets that day.  :P

And actually have paleontologists to report on it. The dailymail is a great example of horrible palaeontology news reporting, and science reporting in general.

There coverage on Darwinopterus was the most ridiciolus I have ever heard. It was
"new flying dinosaur solves mystery of how humans evolved so quickly afterr the Ice Age."

What the hell!  :o

They also said Pangea was still around 135 million years ago.  >:(

That happens to you too?! That always happens too me as well as "dinosaurs are retarded" and "dinosaurs are so stupid". I hate when people say that, I can barely hold back from fully explaining and proving to them EVERY little thing about dinosaurs that is currently thought of as fact (not just telling them: yelling). I get that "what's so cool about dinosaurs" and "why waste your time on dinosaurs" (the latter makes me want to say "then why waste your time on sports").

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

QuoteI feel strongly on this issue too, so sorry for a lengthy post. I am very fond of dinosaurs, and in future generations, we can being people back to reality and show how exciting dinosaurs really are. The fact that giant tyrannosaurs had feathers, and dinosaurs are around today, to cannibalism in Majungasaurus. It was probably the best time in Earths 4.6 billion year history to be around in. No other animal was so succesful and kept that success for more than 231.4 million years. They really where more adaptable than humans, ans by far the most dominante group of archosaurs on the planet. If only the asteroid haden't killed off most of the non-avian dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs are more adaptable than humans?
I don't see dinosaurs with aposable thumbs. I don't see dinosaurs travelling into outer space, landing on the moon, writing symphonies, painting the mona lisa, curing diseases, discovering electricity, inventing the internet, writing books, exploring the ocean, manufacturating aeroplanes, building an atomic bomb, building bridges and skyscrapers, and on and on....they had 200 million years to do so, and they never did.

If the dinosaurs were really so adaptable, then why did they die out? Humans are the most adaptable animal to exist, because we have the intelligence to manipulate our surroundings to our needs.
Dinosaurs are just animals, plain and simple. Sure, they're ancient, well evolved, fascinating animals. But nothing more really.

QuoteI even say that birds are dinosaurs and they still are "nope. Cold blooded reptiles." I think you all can imagine the anger that built up in me at that time. I explained it to them and they still think of dinosaurs in the 1930s style!
Wow, that must have been a dumb kid. My dad was born in the 1950s and even he knows that birds are descended from dinosaurs ::)

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 06, 2012, 01:29:20 PM
QuoteI feel strongly on this issue too, so sorry for a lengthy post. I am very fond of dinosaurs, and in future generations, we can being people back to reality and show how exciting dinosaurs really are. The fact that giant tyrannosaurs had feathers, and dinosaurs are around today, to cannibalism in Majungasaurus. It was probably the best time in Earths 4.6 billion year history to be around in. No other animal was so succesful and kept that success for more than 231.4 million years. They really where more adaptable than humans, ans by far the most dominante group of archosaurs on the planet. If only the asteroid haden't killed off most of the non-avian dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs are more adaptable than humans?
I don't see dinosaurs with aposable thumbs. I don't see dinosaurs travelling into outer space, landing on the moon, writing symphonies, painting the mona lisa, curing diseases, discovering electricity, inventing the internet, writing books, exploring the ocean, manufacturating aeroplanes, building an atomic bomb, building bridges and skyscrapers, and on and on....they had 200 million years to do so, and they never did.

If the dinosaurs were really so adaptable, then why did they die out? Humans are the most adaptable animal to exist, because we have the intelligence to manipulate our surroundings to our needs.
Dinosaurs are just animals, plain and simple. Sure, they're ancient, well evolved, fascinating animals. But nothing more really.

QuoteI even say that birds are dinosaurs and they still are "nope. Cold blooded reptiles." I think you all can imagine the anger that built up in me at that time. I explained it to them and they still think of dinosaurs in the 1930s style!
Wow, that must have been a dumb kid. My dad was born in the 1950s and even he knows that birds are descended from dinosaurs ::)

Be careful this could easily turn into a "what is the most successful animal ever" debate which usually nobody ever outright wins and is really just a bunch of folks flexing their intellectual muscles at each other. 

Yutyrannus

Actually humans aren't really that adaptable. A human would not survive very long out of it's element, humans are actually so unadaptable that we have to make our own environment, instead of use those that are already around. Dinosaurs FAR more adaptable than humans. End of conversation.

tyrantqueen

QuoteActually humans aren't really that adaptable. A human would not survive very long out of it's element, humans are actually so unadaptable that we have to make our own environment, instead of use those that are already around. Dinosaurs FAR more adaptable than humans. End of conversation.
Er...no. And what species of dinosaur are you talking about? There were hundreds. One species of ape, humans, achieved more than dinosaurs did in less time. All dinosaurs did was eat, poop, mate and sleep.
And humans have proven they can live in almost any climate on the planet. Deserts, tundras, rainforests etc humans have managed to find a way to colonise them without having to wait for millions of years of evolution to kick in.
Take a Tyrannosaurus rex, and drop it in a frozen tundra. Let's see how "adaptable" it is at -40c :)

QuoteA human would not survive very long out of it's element, humans are actually so unadaptable that we have to make our own environment, instead of use those that are already around.
Humans are capable of taking natural materials and building with them to create houses, weapons to kill their food, tools and more. In any almost environment, humans can make tools to survive. A dinosaur can't. If it can't eat, it dies.
Humans have manufactured the means to survive in space. Haven't seen any dinosaurs do that yet.

Dinosaurs adapt to the environment around them, and eventually die out when it changes. Humans are so adaptable that we can take an existing environment and shape even more to suit our needs.

Yutyrannus

Did you even read what I said fully? I said END OF CONVERSATION.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 06, 2012, 07:30:17 PM
Did you even read what I said fully? I said END OF CONVERSATION.
No, it is not the end of the conversation. You made a statement, and I respectfully disagree with it. If you don't want to have a discussion, then you shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Instead of posting a refutation to my argument, you just scream that it's the end of the conversation :/

*shrug*

Since this is the "end of the conversation", I will take it that you can't think of anything to say to my points, and that I was correct in arguing that humans are more adaptable than dinosaurs. Have a nice day :)

Ta ta ^-^

Anyway, sorry to mods for going off topic.

amargasaurus cazaui

A good argument could be made for insects being the most adaptable, considering they were here long before the dinosaur, and our own ancestors, and they continue to diversify and adapt.I read somewhere if you placed every human being on the scale and then every ant, the ants would outweigh the humans....thats a somewhat staggering idea.Roaches and many other types of bugs have changed very little since they began. There are so many kinds and types it is hard to comprehend. Just a thought.....
    And my two cents, about human adaptation and superiority...we have had less than a million years to prove anything. Yes, our technical accomplishments would seem quite amazing, provided we survive them. I am not so sure I would give us much credit for creating things like atom bombs to destroy one another, pollution, crime, poverty, and many other things the human race brings to the table that are not so desireable. Our atmostphere is already littered with debris from our various space endeavors and we have even littered the moons surface with our leavings. By our own greed, carelessness and shallow nature we are destroying many of the other species that call this planet home. Not sure I would get up on a soapbox and announce how great we are......because at the rate we are doing it, there might not be anything else left to hear it.
That is the flip side of being so, supposedly superior.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: