News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Royal Ontario Museum Figures

Started by stoneage, October 13, 2012, 10:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneage

In 1977 the Royal Ontario Museum released a series of Mesozoic figures in gray and tan plastic.  Later Waipoon figures that were brightly colored and smaller were released.

Stegosaurus

Pteranodon

Parasaurolophus

Lambeosaurus

Albertosaurus ( the first ever made)

Diplodocus (the first ever made)

Chasmosaurus (the first ever made)

Stenopterygius (the first ever made)

stoneage

Later on the Royal Ontario Museum made a line of Burgess Shale figures.

Pikaia

Wiwaxia

Opabinia

Laggania

Olenoides (Trilobite)

brontodocus

Very nice, stoneage! :) I still have to get the set, eventually. Oh, and thanks also for showing the ventral side of the Laggania and Olenoides, I don't remember if I've ever seen them from below, at least not on high quality photos. :D

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

stoneage

Quote from: brontodocus on October 14, 2012, 12:51:35 AM
Very nice, stoneage! :) I still have to get the set, eventually. Oh, and thanks also for showing the ventral side of the Laggania and Olenoides, I don't remember if I've ever seen them from below, at least not on high quality photos. :D

I'm surprised you don't already have them.  Well I don't think they should be too hard to find.  Their nice figures, colorful with nice detail.  Their also a good size with the larger figures being 12.5 cm.

brontodocus

Somehow I just didn't, yet, alas. :-\ But as far as I know they should still be available from the Royal Ontario Museum? Thinking of it, I should perhaps get them before it's too late. I've had the experience more than once before that when I postpone buying something I like it's been retired by the time I finally decide to get it.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Ikessauro

I love these primitive creatures done by ROM. Last year I actually tried getting these Burgess Shale critters through the ROM online store. But they wanted to charge me a 90 bucks shipping fee to Brazil. That's crazy, not even the biggest lots on Ebay have such expensive shipping cost, so I contacted them to see if it was right and everything, tought that it was an error on the website calculator, but nope, that was right! So, I gave up right away, couldn't throw such money away in shipping costs. I hope I find them on Ebay someday, with a reasonable cost and shipping fees. By the way, the photos are really great, I love when people provide HQ pics of models, because despite the awesome Dinosaur Collector Website done by Randy the page lacks good images. Thanks to DTB and DTF we collectors get to see what we will actually be hunting.

deanm

I live just outside of Toronto (where ROM is located) and have a membership pass at the ROM also. Next time I go down, I don't mind buying a few sets and sending them out to people for the cost of the set plus actual shipping cost (not inflated ROM rate). For those of you interested, PM me.

DC

The recasts came in paint your own, painted and solid plastic.  No ichthyosaur and figures seem slightly smaller.
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/rom.htm
You can never have too many dinosaurs

brontodocus

Quote from: deanm on October 14, 2012, 08:11:31 PM
I live just outside of Toronto (where ROM is located) and have a membership pass at the ROM also. Next time I go down, I don't mind buying a few sets and sending them out to people for the cost of the set plus actual shipping cost (not inflated ROM rate). For those of you interested, PM me.
Hi deanm, this is exactly what I'm going to do, many thanks for the offer! :)

Jetoar

Ever I have thought that Burgues Shale figures are one of the best collections figures that I have seen.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Sauropodlet

Love the original set--bought Joe DeMarco's a few years ago--wonderful figures.

japfeif

Quote from: brontodocus on October 14, 2012, 01:22:13 AM
Somehow I just didn't, yet, alas. :-\ But as far as I know they should still be available from the Royal Ontario Museum? Thinking of it, I should perhaps get them before it's too late. I've had the experience more than once before that when I postpone buying something I like it's been retired by the time I finally decide to get it.

Just ordered my Burgess Shale Primeval Predators set....yep still available thru the ROM online store! $39.99 Canadian (about $31 US money) plus $5 or so shipping, not a bad deal!

docronnie

Very informative and interesting ....  I see that they are made in Hong Kong.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Bowhead Whale

Stenopterygius and Pteranodon are still missing in my collection...

SBell

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on December 06, 2017, 08:49:21 PM
Stenopterygius and Pteranodon are still missing in my collection...

Those are the two rarest and hardest to find...

Fun fact, I had the Steneopterygius many years ago...rescued it from life as a glitter-covered Xmas ornament. And then just gave it away to a collector...oh well. :-\

Joey

Just noticed that the photos are gone (courtesy of Photo Bucket)
Does anyone want me to post the photos on this thread and then someone could replace the old photos?

BlueKrono

Quote from: Joey on December 07, 2017, 05:55:37 AM
Does anyone want me to post the photos on this thread and then someone could replace the old photos?

I would certainly like to see them.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Joey

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 07, 2017, 06:39:30 AM

Gotch ya!
Edit:I should actually probably ask the admin or moderator for permission

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Joey on December 07, 2017, 06:41:58 AM

Gotch ya!

The original thread is very old and many of those DTF members are not so active nowadays.
So it could be difficult to fix the pictures that were gone by (damn) Photobucket.. :-\

Joey

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 07, 2017, 07:00:03 AM
Quote from: Joey on December 07, 2017, 06:41:58 AM

Gotch ya!

The original thread is very old and many of those DTF members are not so active nowadays.
So it could be difficult to fix the pictures that were gone by (damn) Photobucket.. :-\
Maybe I should possibly make a new thread on these figures?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.