News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Predator X is now P-funk

Started by radman, October 18, 2012, 01:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radman

wings

This is the paper for the creature, the first link is the low res version and the second one is the high res version of the paper.

low:
http://www.geologi.no/data/f/0/21/02/6_2401_0/NJG_2_3_2012_13_Knutsen_etal_Scr.pdf

high:
http://www.geologi.no/data/f/0/21/02/5_2401_0/NJG_2_3_2012_13_Knutsen_etal_Pr.pdf

Takama

ZoPteryx

So it's not a new genus, interesting.

Jetoar

Finally! Hi has his name  ^-^. I like Pliosaurus Funkey.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

If it was a dinosaur, they would have named it with a brand new family and everything (splitting FTW!). So now it will just get lost in discussions of 'Pliosaurus'.

They didn't even attach 'rex' the name or anything--how are we supposed to assume it is somehow the T.rex of the sea without that association? ;D

On the other hand, it appears P-funk isn't really any larger than any other sea monster, being reported at 13m long. Once again, a super-size predator is found to not be anywhere near as large as assumed in initial press releases (and followed up in the media of course--I'm looking at you, Planet Dinosaur).

CityRaptor

Better look at Walking with Dinosaurs' Liopleurodon then.
So Pliosaurus funkei it is now. Pity it is no new genus, but then again, Pliosaurus was always pretty badass.

Damn, I made the mistake to read the comments. One by a Megalodon Fanboy boasting about how Megalodon would kick it's butt by being 80 feet long! ( talk about exaggerated ) and the usual creationists.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 19, 2012, 04:25:06 PM

I was only referring to the film involving Predator X (of course, there is an entire NatGeo one devoted to it too) that go with major over-estimations.

CityRaptor

Oh that movie. I think we got a German Dub of it, "Das Monster von Spitzbergen", yes, but I think that was made rather shortly after the discovery.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stoneage

So Pliosaurus funkei it is now. Pity it is no new genus, but then again, Pliosaurus was always pretty badass.

Damn, I made the mistake to read the comments. One by a Megalodon Fanboy boasting about how Megalodon would kick it's butt by being 80 feet long! ( talk about exaggerated ) and the usual creationists.

Sounds like Ted from the old forum.  He was always talking about how big Predator X was and how big Megalodon was.  He was totally obsessed with the idea.

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on October 19, 2012, 11:23:16 PM

Sounds like Ted from the old forum.  He was always talking about how big Predator X was and how big Megalodon was.  He was totally obsessed with the idea.

I remember that guy--was he the same one claiming to know somebody with 'proof' of giant megalodons and how it would change everything we know...and then nothing. Go figure.

Balaur

SBell

Balaur

Himmapaan

Balaur

Yutyrannus

Look what awesome picture I found!

You can see it here.

http://karkajou1993,deviantart.com/#/d5ij7zf

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Jetoar

Cool draws. I like the Prehistoric Aquarium  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

suspsy

Kind of a shame that Pliosaurus funkei was "only" 33-42 feet long. There's still the Dorset pliosaur though.

http://www.dorsetcountymuseum.org/the-dorset-pliosaur
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2012, 12:34:32 AM
Kind of a shame that Pliosaurus funkei was "only" 33-42 feet long. There's still the Dorset pliosaur though.

http://www.dorsetcountymuseum.org/the-dorset-pliosaur

It seems that no matter what the initial reports say, most of the 'new, gigantic, bigger than ever' sea monsters seem to top out at about the same (admittedly large) length. Unless this one has its size published as something different, it will likely end up in a similar size range as most others.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: