News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

I know this is for your son, but do you think a scene with Appalachiasaurus and hypsebemia or hadrosaurus would be cool? (Or maybe something smaller like claosaurus or lorophotodon)
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: brandem on February 03, 2019, 08:19:46 AM
Yes as I recall they had originally pegged it with powerful 3 clawed arm but then suddenly did a 180, I supposed based on some cladistic analysis. Which would be interesting as it would put appalachiosaurus and whatever predicated dryptisaurus in the same general area where they would have had run-ins.

But in general I wanted to cover several time periods/animals in the state
Chronologically:
Cameroceras
Edestus
Appalachiosaurus
Megalonyx

All predicated by the fact that when I was growing up no one could really tell me what animals lived close to home. As interesting as the dinosaurs in Texas or Montana it is very rewarding to be able to talk about your on home in the grand scale of time.

I remember really wanting to make Tennessee species for the park.  There just isn't much except in the western end.   I did try a  few times to talk about the Southern species to people visiting the park, I said Appalachiosaurus and remember getting laughs, they thought I made it up. 

brandem

Quote from: Brocc21 on February 03, 2019, 03:01:09 PM
I know this is for your son, but do you think a scene with Appalachiasaurus and hypsebemia or hadrosaurus would be cool? (Or maybe something smaller like claosaurus or lorophotodon)

A group of Hypsebema play a part in the story actually, as does encountering nodosaurs and a dienosuchus

Brocc21

brandem

I thought I'd add a couple images from my side project, I'll have more sculpts to show soonish

Tyto_Theropod

Beautiful watercolours, Brandem. Based on those I'd say your book deserves publication so it can be appreciated by a wider audience! One thing you could improve on is your backgrounds as they seem a little static, but they do their job well (which is more than can be said for most of mine!)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

brandem

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on February 18, 2019, 05:38:13 PM
Beautiful watercolours, Brandem. Based on those I'd say your book deserves publication so it can be appreciated by a wider audience! One thing you could improve on is your backgrounds as they seem a little static, but they do their job well (which is more than can be said for most of mine!)
Hey thanks, I totally agree on the backgrounds, it's my first time really using watercolor so I'm super focus on not screwing things up in the late stages of an image, I think the background will get better when I can start worrying less about that.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate Brandem you on knowing how to paint as you do it is an art and faculties that very few privileged possess and the same in the sculptural aspect.

Brocc21

brandem

Quote from: Brocc21 on February 20, 2019, 05:10:08 PM
What type of watercolors do you use?

I use prismacolor watercolor pencils, they're pretty nice, watercolor pencils are pretty flexible in general for things you can do with them.

And thanks shonisaurus, I think what I make is alright for the amount of time I'm able to put into it.

brandem

Chalking this up to my inability to leave anything alone,

I've completed several paintings for the book I want to print but as I've profressed I could tell my style and technique changed, probably because I had not really worked with water color pencils before, so now I'm going back to revamp the paintings I started with

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.