News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Life Size Stegouros

Started by Kayakasaurus, February 16, 2015, 08:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

This is the second epoxy model I've posted on this forum and I'm almost finished! I started this iguanodon because I was given this inaccurate K&M toy that was driving me crazy! I decided to just "modify it". It turns out the toy was beyond any hope of modification so I basically used it as an armature.

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

Here is the iguanodon next to my Centrosaurus. The Centro is 1:30 scale and the iguanodon came out close to that. I would greatly appreciate feedback on accuracy! I will still do finishing touches and fill ruff spots. I would like to try casting these as toys.  :D

tyrantqueen

Really nice sculpts so far. The only crit I can offer is that you may want to thicken your Iguanodon's ankles and wrists a little. They don't look strong enough to support a multi-tonne animal ;)

Kayakasaurus

I've also been working on some accessories :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

An interesting way to sculpt! I like em'!

reinier zwanink

That would make a nice scene when its done
Keep us posted

Doug Watson

Very nice work I am enjoying looking at your different sculpts, I use epoxy clay to sculpt as well. By the colour I am guessing you are using Apoxie is that correct? I have tried that brand but I found Magic Sculpt gave me better results for detail work.

On the Iquanodon as well as beefing up the ankles as has been suggested if you can get a hold of this paper. Wright, J. L. (1999). "Ichnological evidence for the use of the forelimb in iguanodontians". In Unwin, David M. Cretaceous Fossil Vertebrates. Special Papers in Palaeontology 60. Palaeontological Association, pp. 209–219. ISBN 0-901702-67-6.
Wright concluded by examining trackways ascribed to Iguanodontids "that when walking quadrupedally , iguanodontids, at least occasionally, placed their hands on the ground outside the line of tracks made by their feet, with the dorsal surface of the manus facing outwards parallel to the trackway midline."

All you need to do is turn the lower arm outwards to achieve that pose, if you wish.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 17, 2015, 03:27:10 PM
Very nice work I am enjoying looking at your different sculpts, I use epoxy clay to sculpt as well. By the colour I am guessing you are using Apoxie is that correct? I have tried that brand but I found Magic Sculpt gave me better results for detail work.

On the Iquanodon as well as beefing up the ankles as has been suggested if you can get a hold of this paper. Wright, J. L. (1999). "Ichnological evidence for the use of the forelimb in iguanodontians". In Unwin, David M. Cretaceous Fossil Vertebrates. Special Papers in Palaeontology 60. Palaeontological Association, pp. 209–219. ISBN 0-901702-67-6.
Wright concluded by examining trackways ascribed to Iguanodontids "that when walking quadrupedally , iguanodontids, at least occasionally, placed their hands on the ground outside the line of tracks made by their feet, with the dorsal surface of the manus facing outwards parallel to the trackway midline."

All you need to do is turn the lower arm outwards to achieve that pose, if you wish.

Thank you! yes I am useing "apoxie" earth by free form and I was considering replacing it with sculpey firm or something because the apoxie is so elastic... not to mention tacky. It looks like I'll have to try magic sculpt now!  :D And thank you for the trackway info  ;)
By the way when your sculpting skin texture on epoxy what is your method of making scales?? I have been rolling a clay ball with holes in it over the parts of my model where I have put epoxy and it's worked ok so far but I think I can do better (and the ball is starting to fill with epoxy residue).  :D

Kayakasaurus

Wow! I just saw all the dinosaurs you did for safari! Those are wonderful! I looked at photos of your Gryposaurus as I sculpted my Iguanodon (hopefully that isn't to obvious) I would love some tips on how you do your scales! On your larger models and on the toys, they are all so great. Actually the safari line are the only dinosaurs I can find here where I live. I was just admiring them yesterday at michaels as I got some paint... For dinosaurs of course.  :D

Dinomike

What a beautiful sculpt! I use Super sculpey for making my dinos - but I think I'm gonna give a try to what Doug suggested. Can't wait to see the whole family finished!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

paleoferroequine

Nice sculpts. :D  Reminds me of one I did about 15 years ago. Aside from the Iguanadon's hand rotation already mentioned, you might give them external ear openings. I don't know if they would be like a bird, fairly open or like a crocodilian which has a flap partially covering the opening.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on February 17, 2015, 05:37:10 PM
Wow! I just saw all the dinosaurs you did for safari! Those are wonderful! I looked at photos of your Gryposaurus as I sculpted my Iguanodon (hopefully that isn't to obvious) I would love some tips on how you do your scales! On your larger models and on the toys, they are all so great. Actually the safari line are the only dinosaurs I can find here where I live. I was just admiring them yesterday at michaels as I got some paint... For dinosaurs of course.  :D

The best way I have found is to make individual miniature cookie cutter style metal stamps on the end of a handle and do each scale one at a time. For the Gryposaurus I made one with multiple scales because they were so darn small but for most like the Nasutoceratops I probably had about four different ones that I was switching back and forth with. It is very time consuming but I find it is more effective than a texture stamp.
I was trying to remember what I didn't like about Apoxie and you just reminded me it was too elastic and especially too tacky. I do a lot of mammals and birds for Safari Ltd as well and the Magic Sculpt is a lot better for hair lines and feathers. I use water with my tooling as well to help my tools slide and form the material.
As for following my Gryposaurus I am glad it could help. When I was learning how to draw I would just grab household items and do sketches of them to practice so if looking at one of my pieces helps you I am honoured.

Kayakasaurus

Very nice work. By the colour I am guessing you are using Apoxie is that correct? I have tried that brand but I found Magic Sculpt

Ok I made a mistake. Just to clarify. I am not using "Apoxie" I AM using "free form earth epoxy sculpting dough by SMOOTH-ON". Although I suspect from what we've said that they are very similar. I am looking forward to trying "magic sculpt" as you said. I think I'll probably have to order from Amazon. Thank you so much for the tips. Here are some photos, you can see the tackyness  :P

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on February 17, 2015, 07:48:27 PM
   Nice sculpts. :D  Reminds me of one I did about 15 years ago. Aside from the Iguanadon's hand rotation already mentioned, you might give them external ear openings. I don't know if they would be like a bird, fairly open or like a crocodilian which has a flap partially covering the opening.

Good idea for ears! I forgot about ears after deciding to skip em on the Centro. You wouldn't happen to have a 15 year old photo of yours would you :))? I would have been 2 years old :))  I don't think I've seen any of your work. That would be real neat.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on February 18, 2015, 05:48:34 AM

Good idea for ears! I forgot about ears after deciding to skip em on the Centro. You wouldn't happen to have a 15 year old photo of yours would you :))? I would have been 2 years old :))  I don't think I've seen any of your work. That would be real neat.

This one is the quickest I could find. If I did it today there might be a few things I would have done differently.

Here's another one from 15 years ago. These are done using Sculpey polymer oven bake clay.

Gastonia

reinier zwanink

Where did you guys learn this anyway

Doug Watson

Quote from: reinier zwanink on February 18, 2015, 09:21:42 AM
Where did you guys learn this anyway

For me I started out doing my own sculptures like you but I was using natural sculptors clay, then I took a Museum Technology course, worked in a museum model shop for 17 years and worked as a freelance sculptor for 23 years, I was exposed to a wide range of materials and techniques working in the model shop but these days with the internet their are lots of people sharing technique online.

Paleogene Pals

Great job on your sculpts! I use Magic Sculpt too. For making the body form or sculpting fur, I like to use a 50/50 mixture of Super Sculpey and Sculpey III. To make skin details, I coat the Sculpey with Magic Sculpt. But, I like reading about other sculptor's techniques to get ideas and inspiration.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on February 18, 2015, 07:29:18 AM
Quote from: Kayakasaurus on February 18, 2015, 05:48:34 AM

This one is the quickest I could find. If I did it today there might be a few things I would have done differently.
Here's another one from 15 years ago. These are done using Sculpey polymer oven bake clay.

Wow, I'm impressed! Those are really neat!! I'm looking forward to doing more skin details like yours, I think I'm going to have to try a different material though. This free form earth stuff is very elastic. I love the hands on your Iguanodon! They really show the weight being spread through the digits. How did you do the scales on the top of the Gastonia??

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on February 18, 2015, 01:12:49 PM
Great job on your sculpts! I use Magic Sculpt too. For making the body form or sculpting fur, I like to use a 50/50 mixture of Super Sculpey and Sculpey III. To make skin details, I coat the Sculpey with Magic Sculpt. But, I like reading about other sculptor's techniques to get ideas and inspiration.

Well after reading everybody's posts it sounds like I'm going to have to try some magic sculpt. I did two dinosaurs last year in sculpey 3 but it was to soft for my liking. That is a good idea mixing super sculpey in. I have also considered sculpey firm. Currently though with my last 4 dinosaurs I've bent a wire spine, and then two wires bent in half for two pairs of legs. I stick it all in foam, position the legs, and then hot glue them in place. Then I build up the bulk and form with epoxy. Unfortunately since it's so sticky I have to let that cure and come back the next day and do another layer. So I've just been sculpting a little a day. For scales I roll em on with a ball of hardened sculpey with little holes of varying sizes in it. For smaller items that need more detail I use natural air dry clay. Like the egg nest

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.