Author Topic: Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life  (Read 11948 times)

BrontoScorpio

• View Profile
Re: Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
That is indeed a very comprehensive description - Thanks.

Alas - it is way over my league ... :(

I was curious regarding the painting process only -

what are those "Citadel acrylics (Tallarn Sand and XV-88)" and what kind of brush you use to apply it ?

Lanthanotus

• Reviewer
  • Silurian survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »
Your welcome,... those paints are sold by GamesWorkshop for their Warhammer and other games. They have a great palette of readily mixed colors to paint every army and hero in their approriate colors and Tallarn Sand and XV-88 are two of them. I use some very old artist brushes, in case of the Cilantaisaurus a round tip kolinsky sable-hair size 2 (but brushes made from synthetic hair work quite as good).

BrontoScorpio

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2018, 08:15:29 AM »
Thanks.
I see those paints are marked as 'LAYER' / 'AIR' / 'BASE'
What does it mean and what should I go for ?

Lanthanotus

• Reviewer
  • Silurian survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »
Warhammer figures are painted by the players with a lot of dedication and are true pieces of art. Base is the foundation color, it is thick and covers the underlaying material 100% if applied right. Layer is a bit thinner and used for applying layers on top of that foundation and to blend things in. Air is for airbrushing and then there's several other sorts aswell (technical, edge, dry...).

I for my part buy the paint for the color and not for the purpose Gamesworkshop designated them for. Basically any of these colors can be used for any of the purposes they are ment for, Gamesworkshop just offers them readily mixed for convenience. So any these colors can be used as base, wash or dry paint, you just need to prepare an amount of paint accordingly, thinning out (with water) what is ment as wash, or let an amount dry out/thick in when you mean to use it as dry paint.

I usually use one color of paint as a foundation for the whole dinosaur figure and then add washes and layers on top of that. However, there are other techniques and even if it's not about dinosaurs, it shows quite well, how great results can be achieved:

Lanthanotus

• Reviewer
  • Silurian survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »
PS: Actually, I do not own any AIR paints... I am not aware if Gamesworkshop AIR paints are waterbased or rely on another organic or inorganic thinner.

tyrantqueen

• Ultimate survivor
  • Kek
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: What do you think?
  • v.1 status and posts: 137 Full Member
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »
PS: Actually, I do not own any AIR paints... I am not aware if Gamesworkshop AIR paints are waterbased or rely on another organic or inorganic thinner.

AIR are pre thinned and have finer pigments. You can still use them on plastics. Actually, I've used airbrush paints that contain alcohol (these http://ibuywargames.co.uk/Com-Art-Creature-Paint-Kit-Airbrush-Friendly-Acrylics-For-Your-Monsters) before and I didn't have any problems, they just smelt really strong and gave me a headache.