News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrypticPrism

WS pteranodon is the best IMO. Although the favorite one is great.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 04, 2017, 05:05:45 PM
Really the WS one is not a Pteranodon, it's a Geosternbergia. Information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosternbergia

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 04, 2017, 08:30:05 AM
Have you seen this unfair review?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2GXN5N9OXKLAX/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01LFTKWCU#wasThisHelpful

Actually, the author raises a fair point about the teeth. The ones in the lower jaw do seem small. That said, the rest of the review isn't very reasonable. Especially the misinterpretation about "plates." But as Blade said, everyone's entitled to an opinion.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Dobber

What is the so called evidenced plates on the face?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

It's covered in that thread about the new species of Daspletosaurus. The writer of that Amazon review seems to be under the mistaken impression that T. rex's entire body was covered in sensitive plates just like its snout.

CityRaptor

The writer also seems to be under the impression that the face of the Safari T.rex is completely feathered and that PNSO's Wilson is more accurate. And of course there is the problem that the article was not released until a fews days ago, while the T.rex was released months ago.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

deanm

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 04, 2017, 06:03:39 PM
Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 04, 2017, 05:05:45 PM
Really the WS one is not a Pteranodon, it's a Geosternbergia. Information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosternbergia

At present Geosternbergia is not fully accepted within Pterosaur taxonomist circles. That is not to say that it is not a valid taxon - just that many are waiting for greater evidence to support the split.

CrypticPrism

Exactly why I said pteranodon.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

terrorchicken

anyone else think the new diplodocus figure on the header banner looks like Gertie the dinosaur?

Irritation

Imagine if their 2019 line has made Pentaceratops and CollectA also made it in the same year. LOL!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Irritation on May 29, 2017, 03:55:32 PM
Imagine if their 2019 line has made Pentaceratops and CollectA also made it in the same year. LOL!

They would make very good company to my pentaceratops Schleich and Favorite and even they would be improved figures, but that yes I would like that those figures were made without scale and of Deluxe size like styracosaurus Collecta of this year.  ^-^

suspsy

You say that as though it would be a bad thing.

Irritation

Quote from: suspsy on May 29, 2017, 04:31:45 PM

You say that as though it would be a bad thing.
Well safari and CollectA have made the same ceratopsian each odd year since 2013.
Sorry if I did.

Daspletotyrannus

For the people who have the Diplodocus are all four feet on the ground?  Or is one foot shorter then the others?  I ask because my Carnegie Camarasaurus and Brachiosaurus have that problem. I also think my Carnegie Diplodocus might have it too. It weird to have a animal with all four feet on the ground and they still wobble.

Neosodon

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 11, 2017, 05:55:05 PM
For the people who have the Diplodocus are all four feet on the ground?  Or is one foot shorter then the others?  I ask because my Carnegie Camarasaurus and Brachiosaurus have that problem. I also think my Carnegie Diplodocus might have it too. It weird to have a animal with all four feet on the ground and they still wobble.
Mine doesn't have that problem.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

Mine has it's four feet firmly planted on the floor.

tanystropheus

No wobble. My Diplo is actually very stable.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 11, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

No wobble. My Diplo is actually very stable.

In my case both Carnegie's diplodocus, camarasaurus and brachiosaurus have all their feet on the ground. I have no complaints from them and that they are almost older than me.

Lanthanotus

Two days ago I took my Feathered Tyrant to the Kindergarten for a lesson about the advances of dinosaur research (I also had the Invicta one with me, the JP junior, a Chinasaur and the new Schleich). Besides a look to the books I brought the kids sure wanted to play with the figures a bit, but knowing that the Safari is kinda sensible when it comes to actual play, I took care that they treated it nicely and a bit later took it to a top shelf to protect it...

... however, just from that short interruption of its usually very quite and unexiting shelflive it took away some nasty "scars", namely paint scrabs. Why, why Safari did you produce your most popular and heaviest dinosaur figure of 2017 out of white (!!!) plastic, while this thing basically has no way at all (teeth and a bit of the belly/underside apart, but even those are painted)? I mean, it is obvious that kids love to play hard with a tyrant lizard, after all it has to bash and diminish hundreds of other poor dinosaur lives. White? Really? Every little scrap immidiatly becomes visible, every edge of those dozens of feathers, every claw, everything shines bright white underneath....

... overall painted, yes I see quality control has it easier this way to see, if the figure is properly painted.... but when it comes to actually handing and playing with it, some darker tone is most figure's friend (if they are not polar bears or Zebras or such). Even a light grey would have been a good choice, a dark grey or olive an even better....

... well, need to touch up that thing with some paint, probably not for the last time :/

Faelrin

Yeah I'm not quite sure why the paint chips off so easily. I'm super paranoid of touching any of my Safari Ltd figures, especially the Feathered Tyrannosaurus, because I don't want to damage them (I mean, beyond their state of arrival from shipping, which in some cases may have a few tiny paint chips, like with my Iguanodon, on the one side of its beak no less). I'm super careful that my nails don't touch them, when I do want to feel the sculpted detail on them, since I'm afraid they might scratch some of the paint off. Since I'm so paranoid about this, it also means I can't let my nieces play with them.

I have to wonder what it is exactly that makes the paint chip off so easily. Like is it the paint used? Is the paint sealed at all? My JW toys for example have been dropped, played with, touched, etc, and most don't show any paint wear, except maybe on some of the claws from contacting the ground so many times. Same for the few Battat Terra figures I have. I can even scrape at those with my nails, and nothing. I don't dare try that on my Safari Ltd figures. I think even removing the stretchy clear material the tag was on, off my Feathered Tyrannosaurus' neck, chipped it here and there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.