News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 22, 2016, 11:14:38 PM
QuoteAlso, is that a hobbit I see on the right side of the image? If so, I think we can expect to hear about another lawsuit pretty soon ::).

They'll probably call it a halfling or something similar.

or Homo floresiensis .

Nanuqsaurus

That feathered rex looks gorgeous! I was planning to buy the Collecta feathered rex, and maybe repaint it, but now I think I'll buy this one when it comes out!

Sim

Quote from: Joe289 on August 23, 2016, 06:32:16 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 23, 2016, 04:18:09 PM
I think the mosasaur will be either a Mosasaurus or a Tylosaurus ,though another species would be interesting.As for the azdarchid,I'm pretty positive it is a Quetzalcoatlus .And the theropod is definetely a Tyrannosaurus .
There might be more releases from them next year.What are your guesses.I'm going to throw the following names: Triceratops and Deinocheirus .Or maybe a Stegosaurus
Though I must say,an up to date dromeosaur would be great.

I agree! the Wild Safari line has I think only a Velociraptor and a Utahraptor and i think one (or both ?) were discontinued. And they were featherless, so it would be nice to have some feathered dromeosaurs in the future

Yeah, the only dromaeosaurids in the Wild Safari line are featherless.  The Utahraptor appears to have been retired about 8 years ago, with the Velociraptor replacing it and still being produced.  Unfortunately, the Velociraptor has pronated hands, and is featherless despite being released 1. after it was known that Velociraptor had quill knobs, 2. two years after the Carnegie Microraptor, and 3. over 7 years after some dromaeosaurids were known to have feathers (Sinornithosaurus and Microraptor).  Since Safari says they make "educational toys" and "toys that teach", and that Velociraptor figure has been around for so long without being replaced by a plausible-looking dromaeosaurid toy, I don't admire Safari as much as I used to or would otherwise. :(

John

I'm not so sure there are going to be any more new dinosaurs or prehistoric animals than what we've already seen.I remember Doug Watson indicated that he sculpted fewer models for 2017 than he did for this year somewhere on this forum a while back.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

MLMjp

I come here a bit late. But can you blame me? This kind of stuff should not come out that soon!

On to the figures

That T.rex! That T.rex!

It looks AWESOME, easily surpasses the collecta one. Way, WAY better colors, it does  not have a base and it does not have that horrible mohawk.
HOWEVER
It is a Safari figure, which means that it will likely be a small figure. Some of you have pointed out that the figure looks BIG in the photo and that could mean that Safari may start making bigger figures, so this figure could actually be bigger than the regular ones and comparable to other rexes like papo running or collecta.
But I think that the posibilities of that are not very high, some of you have said that it just might be the photoshop. In that case it would mean that I still have to wait for a feathered T.rex in my collection. It would be a shame because the figure looks fantastic. But if it is not more or less the size of (for example) the papo running rex(wich, sadly, its the most likely situation) then there's still not a feathered rex for me.

It looks fantastic, BUT I NEED IT IN A GOOD SIZE.

About the other two, they look good but for now I'm not really interested on them. We will see when they reveal them officialy

Rain

I think it's just a bigger figure. The detailing looks a lot better and sharper than usual, which would make sense if it's a larger figure.

suspsy

I don't understand all these people insisting that the T. rex MUST be a larger figure simply because it looks so great in that photo. Doug's been turning out such detailed figures for years at the same relatively small scale. Are you forgetting the Yutyrannus? The Archaeopteryx? The Nasutoceratops? The Pachyrhinosaurus?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on August 23, 2016, 10:43:06 PM
I don't understand all these people insisting that the T. rex MUST be a larger figure simply because it looks so great in that photo. Doug's been turning out such detailed figures for years at the same relatively small scale. Are you forgetting the Yutyrannus? The Archaeopteryx? The Nasutoceratops? The Pachyrhinosaurus?

I do not insist that it must be large
It's more like I hope that somehow it turns out to be big even if it is not very likely, because I really like it, but if it is not in a good scale then I will still have to wait for another feathered rex to come out :-\
I am pretty sure some people think the same as me

John

I think it's going to be roughly about the same size as the 1989 and 2014 Carnegie ones.But whether it turns out to be big or small,it still looks great to me. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Rain

Compare those figures to the rex,  while they're all still lovely models that are adequately detailed, the detailing on this rex is far sharper. (I don't know about the Pachyrhinosaurus though, as I don't own it)
I'd assume it's slighty larger than the previous rexes they've released.

Hopefully the actual figures retain the amount of detailing that this prototype(?) has.

suspsy

Quote from: Rain on August 24, 2016, 12:22:49 AM

Compare those figures to the rex,  while they're all still lovely models that are adequately detailed, the detailing on this rex is far sharper. (I don't know about the Pachyrhinosaurus though, as I don't own it)

Whereas I would argue that they're on par, especially the Yutyrannus.

QuoteI'd assume it's slighty larger than the previous rexes they've released.

Hopefully the actual figures retain the amount of detailing that this prototype(?) has.

We shall see. Prototypes generally tend to be much prettier than the final retail version, that's one thing I know for sure. This single composite photo certainly is exciting, but it's probably best to wait for more releases. I'll say again too: I'd be thrilled to be proved wrong and this T. rex is actually in the same size category as CollectA and Papo, but I doubt it.

Doug Watson has yet to comment on this thread . . .
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Patrx

I agree, take a close look at the Nasutoceratops, Sauropelta, and Carcharadontosaurus, too. The paint applications don't show it well, but the details on those figures are really, really nice. Another thing that obscures this a bit is the blunting that's done to the claws and teeth. CollectA doesn't seem to do that as much.

Flaffy

Quote from: Patrx on August 24, 2016, 03:27:51 AM
I agree, take a close look at the Nasutoceratops, Sauropelta, and Carcharadontosaurus, too. The paint applications don't show it well, but the details on those figures are really, really nice. Another thing that obscures this a bit is the blunting that's done to the claws and teeth. CollectA doesn't seem to do that as much.
The Carnegie Carnotaurus's teeth were really blunted in my opinion. But the worst offender is still Schleich...

Halichoeres

Quote from: John on August 23, 2016, 11:32:35 PM
I think it's going to be roughly about the same size as the 1989 and 2014 Carnegie ones.But whether it turns out to be big or small,it still looks great to me. :)

I hope you're right about this! But I hope you're wrong that these are the only three (I'm stoked about all three, but I'm also greedy. And it's only August. And Safari said the photo showed "some" of the 2017 releases).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Most excited for that cephalopod (hard to tell if it's a squid or cuttlefish), here's hoping it's a giant soft model for the IC line! But the Tyrannosaur, booby, and Azhdarchid are must haves too. Kookaburra, alligator and Mosasaur are also nice but I already have models of these species so they're all maybes.

The Atroxious

I don't think I'd go out of my way for any of these figures, but if I saw them in a store and had some extra cash on hand, I'd probably consider the kookaburra and the booby. The squid is nice, too, even if it isn't a dinosaur toy.

Also, I agree with the people who think that this Tyrannosaurus looks better than CollectA's, especially the deluxe version. I'm not a tyrannosaur afficionado, but I think it's a well-sculpted figure all the same.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 22, 2016, 10:46:28 PM
Quote from: Patrx on August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Really looking forward to that azhdarchid, although it would be nice if it was in a walking pose instead. The Tyrannosaurus and mosasaur look pretty good too, but the lack of lips on the former is pretty bothersome.

Walking pose is always nice, as far as saving space, but we've had a series of walking pterosaurs in the last few years. I need a good Azhdarchid. I have the Tyco and Scleichs and passed on the CollectA (great models but a tad bit cartoony).  I'm a huge fan of the WS pterosaurs and have all their recent models. Safari Ltd. should redo their Pteranodon next.

The Mosasaurus is reminiscent of the Carnegie Tylosaurus.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on August 24, 2016, 02:46:10 AM
We shall see. Prototypes generally tend to be much prettier than the final retail version, that's one thing I know for sure. This single composite photo certainly is exciting, but it's probably best to wait for more releases. I'll say again too: I'd be thrilled to be proved wrong and this T. rex is actually in the same size category as CollectA and Papo, but I doubt it.

Doug Watson has yet to comment on this thread . . .

Unfortunately until Safari Ltd identifies and releases details on the pieces I am not at liberty to divulge anything.

Quote from: John on August 23, 2016, 10:20:03 PM
I'm not so sure there are going to be any more new dinosaurs or prehistoric animals than what we've already seen.I remember Doug Watson indicated that he sculpted fewer models for 2017 than he did for this year somewhere on this forum a while back.

I honestly don't remember saying anything like that since I am also not supposed to talk about how many pieces I am doing for each year. I can say of the three prehistoric pieces in this image I only did two of them.
I do find all the rampant speculation entertaining. :D

Derek.McManus

:) People do love to chat gossip and speculate no matter the medium!

Rain

Quote from: Patrx on August 24, 2016, 03:27:51 AM

That's a very good point. Paint application does make quite the difference. Maybe the rex is just well painted and not larger afterall.

Regardless of size, I'm still getting it!  ;D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.