News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints

Started by Jose S.M., September 10, 2016, 04:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on February 12, 2019, 01:47:05 PM
Here's Aquilops! it's a small sculpt, I don't know why it took me so long to finish it, probably a bit of a uninspired streak, but it's here now, I don't really love it and it can't stand on it's own but it deserves some love at least from it's creator  ;D :P
[

This poor guy sufferd from lots of accidents, it lost a finger, a feet and one of it's cheek horns before finishing it, at the time of the photos is still missing the finger actually.

Aww, it's adorable! How big is not? Looks small, which makes it even more challenging to sculpt. I like it a lot, good muscle definitions on the body and legs. Keep it up, so much improvement with each new sculpt.

Jose S.M.

Thanks Boki! I don't remember exactly it's length (I measured it when I baked it about two weeks ago) but it's smaller than Safari's Psittacosaurus.

Jose S.M.

I wasn't very pleased with this one but still I'm showing it. It was an experiment/attempt to save  something out of a destroyed figure to see if some clay I have sticks to figures. The first result of the sticking test tells me that the clay stays put if left undisturbed, but minimal pressure will make the part (horns in my test) fall. After that I decided to apply clay all over the figure because it was too damaged and adding clay on large parts created differences of texture that I didn't like so this is the result, Spinops:

The right front leg looks stiff and it's weirdly posed and has other problems but I wanted to see it painted and move on to the next experiment hehe.

Halichoeres

I once tried adding clay to a figure and it turned out much worse than this!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on April 01, 2019, 02:59:36 PM
I wasn't very pleased with this one but still I'm showing it. It was an experiment/attempt to save  something out of a destroyed figure to see if some clay I have sticks to figures. The first result of the sticking test tells me that the clay stays put if left undisturbed, but minimal pressure will make the part (horns in my test) fall. After that I decided to apply clay all over the figure because it was too damaged and adding clay on large parts created differences of texture that I didn't like so this is the result, Spinops:

The right front leg looks stiff and it's weirdly posed and has other problems but I wanted to see it painted and move on to the next experiment hehe.

Aww, I like this one a lot, it got lots of personality on the head. So what exactly was this originally? Was it one of yours? Is this durable enough?
I say you should make a new one since this is so awesome, I really like the head sculpt, it captures the animal it represents.

Jose S.M.

Thanks Boki! This was the older Safari Styracosaurus, I had it on my bookshelf since I was running out of space so I took the few duplicates I have there. Someone probably thought it wasn't part of the main collection and gave it to my nephew and took it outside so it got chewed by something, most likely a dog. That way it looks kind of leaning to the front because the original had a foot raised and now has all fours on the ground.

It's made of the same clay that some of my other sculpts like the Leptoceratops and Othnieliosaurus so I guess it's durable like those.

Jose S.M.

I made some "customizations" (just some spikes adjustments actually) to two of my ceratopsians: first I changed the Favorite Styracosaurus spikes to make it look like a Rubeosaurus. I think I could have made the top spikes tips to be closer.

Then, as much as I loved the beautiful Safari 2019 Styracosaurus, I couldn't ignore the warping of the spikes because when looking at on my shelf it didn't stand out as I think it would have with properly oriented spikes. I was really afraid of ruining the sculpt but after the realtive success of the Rubeo conversion I got brave and did it, new spikes for Styraco:

I this changes look nice, I'm quite pleased with the Rubeosaurus but the Styracosaurus made me so nervous. They aren't perfectly smooth in shape but I think in reality this kind of structures are not always perfect either.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. Jose you have done some small works of art in relation to Favorite styracosaurus you are doing a great job.

Jose S.M.

Long time not doing any sculpting work! Here's my latest attemp at it: Riojasaurus. I was conflicted with the pose since I've seen skeletals and artwork that maintain the neck very horizontal and other artwork with a more raised one so this is kind of in the middle.

ceratopsian

I think you should be very satisfied with the Riojasaurus.  To be honest, I wouldn't have known at first sight that it wasn't a commercially produced model and if it were, I'd have bought it!  I think you have also come up with an excellent colour scheme - and I love the flash of blue on the throat pouch.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 29, 2019, 04:16:46 PM
I think you should be very satisfied with the Riojasaurus.  To be honest, I wouldn't have known at first sight that it wasn't a commercially produced model and if it were, I'd have bought it!  I think you have also come up with an excellent colour scheme - and I love the flash of blue on the throat pouch.

Totally agree we are in need the collectors of a Riojasaurus is an unpublished dinosaur among the dinosaur replicas I know.

Nice painting of José Riojajasaurus.

Bokisaurus

Great to see you still working on sculpting and wow, you have come a long way!
This one really shows all the skills you have learned, great job!
Your paint job have also come along way, it looks so much more natural and well applied and blended, really nice.
Hope you continue sculpting, love to see what you come up with next ^-^

Lanthanotus

Very nice And a great choice for a new sculpt.

Jose S.M.

PhilSauria

Great job! I was scrolling through the new posts (all happening overnight for us here in Australia) and at first glance I was looking at the thread title to see which company had released this!

I have had a couple of attempts at sculpting but quickly became discouraged at my efforts so I know how hard it can be, but seeing work like yours has me both wondering if I should bother and maybe I should stick at it.

So, I'm conflicted, but in the mean time I also look forward to seeing what your next production will be.

Jose S.M.

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria  I think you could give it another try! This advice might sound all unoriginal and stuff but I used to think I had 0 artistic talents, not that I think I'm super talented now but I started off with a couple of awkward clay blops and now I'm making decent things  (I think  :P), maybe you'll find your way and start making things you like better and better each time.

PhilSauria

Thanks for the encouragement.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet - I know that I have artistic talent, I work as a designer / illustrator / cartoonist, but making something in 3D is a whole different ball game to 2D, and it's so hard to have something in your mind's eye and bring that vision into reality, especially when you see the work of some of the (much younger!) members on this Forum who are very good sculptors. So the sketches I'd make in regard to what I'd like to sculpt ended up looking better than the sculpture they were the 'roughs' for!

And I know what you mean by just doing something to get better at it, so I guess that's where you just have to be persistent and be prepared to come up with stuff that doesn't work to (hopefully) get to the point where you create something that you are prepared to show anyone.

By the way, how big is you model? I think I started out trying to make things that were too large as well - talk about a waste of clay!

Jose S.M.

It's about 22 cm long. I made some in that range. The biggest one is the Edmontosaurus but that one has been reworked two times so it's got a bit bigger than it was originally. I think it's almost as long as the latest Safari Tyrannosaurus.

It's interesting that you say you have difficulty working in 3D sculpts but 2 D is your game, we all have areas that work better for us at first. I'm the opposite, I can't do illustration at all. And that's why I think I thought I didn't have an artistic vein, because in art classes in high school all we did was drawings and paintings so I got the idea that I sucked in general.

Killekor

You did a really exceptional work sculpting that Riojasaurus!
If it was a commercially available item it would have been an instant buy also for me!
I really like both the details of the sculpt and the color scheme, which suits to the figure perfectly!
Congratulations for your work!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Jose S.M.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.