News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints

Started by Jose S.M., September 10, 2016, 04:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

That looks really nice! Well done.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Jose S.M.

So I decided to try to improve the first species I did, a Brachylophosaurus, the first has weird proportions because is made of non hardenig clay and air dry clay on top of that so the form of the figure ended up distorted a lot. This time I used the same clay that I used for the ceratopsian, and well, here it is  :)

Sorry for the bad quality of the photos, specially the last one in which I used the light of the phone, it sucks hehehe. It's about as long as the W.S Gryposaurus, and bit smaller in height. In the photos I realized that the beak's color doesn't differentiate against the face color so I might change that. The limbs are a pain to work on with this air drying clay I used, I made a mess everytime I tried to texture them,  but still I have a good time making this one and I'm pretty sure it is an improvement over it's predecessor (that can be seen at the start of this thread).

Jose S.M.

Links of the pictures of this thread have been changed from photobucket (we hate you pb) to postimage. Here's a shot of my 3 sculpts (the first one fell and broke its tail and several parts of the row off back scutes so it's waiting for a fix. Same goes to the ceratopsian's ( supposed Centrosaurus with too big frill) horn

ZoPteryx

Excellent lineup of sculpts!  :)  What do you plan on sculpting next?

Jose S.M.

Thanks ZoPteryx! Next I'm thinking in a sauropod,but I haven't decided which.

spinosaurus1

love the look of the sculptures. they have a nice stylized look to them

Kayakasaurus

I like all three of them! Looking forward to seeing more  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Jose S.M.

So I managed to get Sculpey and made my first sculpture with it, it was fairly easier to work with comparing with the air drying clay I used on the Centrosaurus and Brachylophosaurus but I made some mistakes when constructing it and baking it. It's supposed to be a Tenontosaurus but I don't know if it looks like that, I got all excited and didn't gave it a conscious look before baking it, so it might not have enough thickness in the tail. Also when looking at fossils I saw some skulls with a bump on the nose and others without it, I gave a small bump but I squash it when texturing and didn't notice  :-\. Anyway here's the resulting Tenontosaurus:

This is the "good angle", one of the mistakes I made was not supporting the tail good and for some reason it when up, so it has a raided tail that look funny. Also and this I'm sure it was because someone got curious to see how hard it was during baking (it has had 3 small dents that indicates someone poked it wuth a fork, that's what my detective senses tell me  :))), it's left forelimb moved outwards and doesn't touch the ground.

Now the not so good angle

If I place it this way the tail looks better, but I'm not sure if it can rear up like that irl and the arms look kind of limp like this.

So that's it, the ornithpod that was supposed to be Tenontosaurus! I hope it does look like one barring the tail being kind of thin and the nose. I know it's cheating but if it looks like other dinosaur let me know  :)) :)) :))

Halichoeres

I always assumed that Tenontosaurus was facultatively bipedal anyway! I think the Sculpey works for you, this is your best yet! I think you've made more sculpts than most of the people who are trying to make figure lines on the dtf!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Thanks! I think I have made various sculpts in short time because first some of the people who say they are going to make a line and have shown prototypes take lots of time to make them perfect since they attempt to make a business, I do it for myself and can forgive a little bent limb or raised tail hehe, and there's the people who say there's are going to do it and never show anything after. I also I enjoy a lot doing them,  actually when I started I did it as a distraction when I was having a hard time. Anyway thanks for the nice comment, I'm glad you think is my best yet.

ZoPteryx

That looks really good!  Yes, definitely resembles Tenontosaurus, especially T. dossi with its boxier skull.  :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jose S.M.

I decided to fix my first sculpt, it was damaged a bit damaged, lost the tip of the tail and one toe, plus lots of paint scuffs because it fell to the floor while I was re-arrenging my room, but I left it like that. Some weeks ago there was an earthquake here, it was like "medium intensity", we are very used to 5-6 degrees earthquakes here, this one was a 6,2, anyway the figure fell again, from the top of my new display, and lost it's feet, an entire forelimb and another chunk of tail and back so I decided to use what I have left of air drying clay to fix it, since I made a second version of Brachylophosaurus I also  made it a new species so now he's and Edmontosaurus, it's the species that's not commonly represented with the little crest because I'm not sure of the exact shape, size and position of the crest, though I don't really know if both should have it. Anyways, here it is:

here is how it was before:

It was pretty clunky  ;D ;D :P

It has some goofs I admit. The head should be narrower, I tried to add some volume in the back of the original head and beak to give it a better shape but always ended up looking very goofy so I used sand paper to shape it, it's not  exactly as narrow as I wanted but it's something. I ran out of clay so I didn't gave it a row of scutes along the back, maybe I'll do it later.

Jose S.M.

I changed the name of the thread to include repaints, I finally took the risk to change the colors of a figure, the chosen one was Safari Yutyrannus, one of my favorite theropods sculpts and the color wasn't bad but it was just one color all around, so I thought it woud be easy for my first adventure since the color wouldn't be so difficult to paint over. Here it is:

ZoPteryx

ceratopsian

I like the repaint.  It gives the creature more visual variety than the factory version.

zatrex99

Nice repaint on the Yutyrannus, Jose. I really like that.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 22, 2017, 02:37:04 PM
I like the repaint.  It gives the creature more visual variety than the factory version.
Quote from: zatrex99 on December 30, 2017, 04:18:46 AM
Nice repaint on the Yutyrannus, Jose. I really like that.
Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 22, 2017, 05:47:12 AM
Very nice repaint!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

Here's another one, W.S Nasutoceratops:

I think it doesn't look too bad right?

spinosaurus1

that looks amazing dude. thats my favorite repaint i seen from you yet.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.