News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Retrosaurus' Collection

Started by Retrosaurus, August 23, 2023, 01:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retrosaurus

I've finally gotten around to photographing more of my collection:

My small collection of early Carnegie figures, though I have several of the later ones I don't actively seek them out as I'm really only interested in trying to complete the earlier run of figures.

Here are some weird Invicta colour variants. The mocha Stegosaurus, blue Cetiosaurus, and grey Triceratops are all the result of the original colour fading. The blue/green plesiosaurus is the uncommon "1788" variant from the original mould and is made of a noticeably heavier and harder plastic. The lime Glyptodon I assume is from Cornwell components. The black Mammoth, green Iguanodon, and chocolate brown Scelidosaurus might also be Cornwell, but are made of a very rubbery plastic similar to the painted variants.

Complete with its original paints  ::)

Another set of Linde figures, I particularly like the marbling on the Brontosaurus

Lastly, a nearly full set of the original German Wagner Margarine dinosaurs (I'm just missing the Pteranodon and Tylosaurus). These are the predecessors to the Nabisco dinosaurs which I collect the NZ-made versions of. The moulds are noticeably different, some drastically different from the Nabisco counterparts. I'll eventually do a comparison post

Faelrin

Despite all my years here, I've never even seen some of these before. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to some of the more retro oriented threads here, or these are really rare. The bottom Wegner set almost has an ivory like look to it. What an absolutely delightful diversity of animals too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Libraraptor

Those Wagner figures are So delightful! I have some of them, too, but still want them all.

Retrosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on February 10, 2024, 04:08:11 AMDespite all my years here, I've never even seen some of these before. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to some of the more retro oriented threads here, or these are really rare. The bottom Wegner set almost has an ivory like look to it. What an absolutely delightful diversity of animals too.
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Ones like the Wagner figures don't get talked about much as they're quite niche, and you're right about them being a diverse selection. I've noticed a lot of the earlier manufacturers often had some more unusual picks to include in their sets.

Halichoeres

The variety of Wagners really was admirable. I think their Geosaurus is still the only one that's been made.

I used to have a Linde Sphenacodon. The marbling effect on those can be really fetching!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fossilized-Rubber

I really had to puff out my cheeks with how impressed I was with this latest update. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a favourite "top three" from all of your collection?
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

Retrosaurus

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on February 12, 2024, 03:55:30 PMI really had to puff out my cheeks with how impressed I was with this latest update. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a favourite "top three" from all of your collection?
Thank you very much! It's hard to choose just three to be honest, but I think my absolute favourite would be my Schleich Replicasaurus Elasmosaurus from when I was a kid as it was my most precious childhood possession. The other two would probably be the NeoForm Stegosaurus and black Invicta Mammoth. In terms of non-figure-related things, my original copy of "Prehistoric Monsters of Primeval Days" which features the models of Vernon Edwards would certainly be up there  :))

triceratops83

This is the sort of collection I really dig, you can't beat the retro stuff. We're spoiled for choice now and I don't think dinosaur toys can get much better than they are now, but you just have to appreciate the old school.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Retrosaurus

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 I think the reason I'm drawn to the retro stuff is there's a bit more artistic licence with sculpts, some of them like the NeoForms are heavily stylised and you can tell they're all from the same artist. Though I greatly appreciate and am in awe of the amazing level of detail and accuracy that's widely available to us, with most companies competing to be the most accurate it starts to feel a bit same-ish sometimes.

triceratops83

Back then too, they had to rely more on artistic license because we didn't know enough from the fossils available. Now, with what we know, you could actually be criticized for using the wrong colours in some cases. So yeah, there was a lot more room to go nuts with design in the olden days - made for more character in dinosaur toys.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Crackington

Great to see how your collection is progressing avatar_Retrosaurus @Retrosaurus - so many gems.

I love that green Invicta Iguanodon variant and those wonderful Wagners.
Good work!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.