News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Eikoh new for 2017

Started by Halichoeres, July 04, 2017, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Eikoh's Miniature Planet line finally goes prehistoric:

They are:

Ankylosaurus
Archaeopteryx
Brachiosaurus
Edmontosaurus
Elasmosaurus
Gallimimus
Iguanodon
Mosasaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Pteranodon
Spinosaurus
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Tyrannosaurus
Velociraptor

Nice to see another Japanese company on the scene, but it's cold comfort given that so far we've seen no new releases from Kaiyodo this year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Always interesting to see a new player enter the field. A decent start, though no truly stellar figures or species here.

suspsy

Meh. Nothing to write home about in this assortment. Especially not another featherless raptor.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Sim

This would be a very nice little set if the Velociraptor was actually a Velociraptor.  Instead, it's yet another ugly Jurassic Park/World copy.  If I want a dinosaur figure, I want a figure of a dinosaur, not some fantasy monster.  And it's too bad the Gallimimus is featherless as well, but it's not surprising given the Jurassic World influence in this set

Faelrin

I think the Mosasaurus looks okay. The others do look a lot on the retro side however.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ZoPteryx

Never heard of these before.  I'd be curious to see more photos of the Mosasaurus, Iguanodon, and maybe the Elasmosaurus, but the rest are pretty poor.

BlueKrono

Y'all know me, still the same OG, need those marines.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

OpalornisHuali

So bad, shameful. I forgive vintage figures for their inaccuracies, but for 2017 this is just terrible. Definitely Jurassic Park-esque. Especially that velociraptor... And the Spinosaurus.

suchomimus

Boy, was I about to post in the ID thread. I'll cut to the details.

Japan, Osaka
An arcade shop near Nifrel Aquarium
Arcade Machine
¥100/try, ¥300/4 tries
Probably could swap a winning figure with the staff but ridiculous odds of getting anything nonetheless.

Seeing these guys in person, I must say they are charming if you're in for miniatures. I wouldn't compare Eikoh to Kaiyodo, Colorata or Furuta though. Instead, the subtle paint app and combination of details here remind me more of Kabaya's style.

It's quite hard to see it here (phone camera zoom and it's a tall machine) but these little critters do pack some level of detail. Like the skin folds on Rex's torso, or Brachi's (or is it Giraffatitan's now?) neck. Even Rex's mouth is painted inside!

I was aiming to get the Mosasaurus, seeing how it comes with a tail fluke and has a pleasing overall color scheme. And that bulky Brachi too, though it resembles Papo's larger counterpart. I would agree that their theropods are disappointing, but I think the rest stand a decent chance as a sister to Kabaya's figures.

And that's my two cents. Happy hunting for the dinos below ;D

Loon

Pretty bob-standard stuff here. A bunch of Jurassic Park/World-inspired designs, and none that are particularly good looking. One positive (I guess) is that the ornithomimid, probably Galliminus, seems to me to be the first time a model company has made a figure ripping off the Jurassic franchises design. Of course, it had to be the weird, undeveloped goo-ball, Jurassic World design.

docronnie

Just got the ff from my hunt:
Brachio, Triceratops, Iguanodon and Stego.

In my opinion, they are really charming and well painted.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

SidB

Just "stumbled" across this post by accident. avatar_docronnie @docronnie, these do look quite okay, I agree.

docronnie

I have not completed them yet .... really hard to get them these days ...

It has been a looooong time since I posted here at DTF.

Somehow you tagged me back in S @SidB^-^
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

SidB

In any case, welcome back, good to know that you're still in the mix!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.