News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

reptiles & amphibians

Started by copper, June 30, 2012, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Thanks Sbell.  That's kind of what I figured, noting how many knockoffs there seems to be.  You wouldn't happen to know what other ones are in the set would you? :)

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on October 07, 2012, 06:57:18 AM
Thanks Sbell.  That's kind of what I figured, noting how many knockoffs there seems to be.  You wouldn't happen to know what other ones are in the set would you? :)

Of course. They are all numbered as well, from 1-12:
LIZARD, FLAT-TAILED HORNED
LIZARD, DESERT SHORT-HORNED
IGUANA, DESERT
LIZARD, BLUE SPINY
LIZARD, COLLARED
LIZARD, ZEBRA-TAILED
IGUANA, GREEN
GECKO, LEAF-TOED
LIZARD, ARIZONA NIGHT
LIZARD, DESERT GRASSLAND WHIPTAIL
SKINK, FIVE-LINED
LIZARD, SOUTHERN ALLIGATOR

ZoPteryx

Thanks Sbell, I guess that means I have them all!  I suppose I could have just counted that I had 12 out of 12, but that would have been too easy. ;)

tyrantqueen

The AAA "monitor lizard". I think it is from the series that AAA made in the 90's, which were cast from dead specimens.

This guy has "monitor lizard" printed on its um...crotch. What kind of monitor though? Any ideas?

Jetoar

I think the same. I have some figures of AAA reptiles and they like as dead specimens :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 18, 2012, 08:33:33 AM
This guy has "monitor lizard" printed on its um...crotch. What kind of monitor though? Any ideas?
I have that one, too, bought it a year ago from jumpinglemurs. Fortunately this one doesn't look as dead as many others (in many other cases the dried specimens AAA used look quite emaciated and have sunken eyes :-\ ). Since there are so many cryptic/hard to identify species within Varanus I cannot say which species it was cast from but the colouration, especially the reddish throat, suggests a juvenile Peach Throat Monitor, Varanus jobiensis. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

tyrantqueen

Thanks brontodocus.

I did a google search for Varanus jobiensis and I got this

Interesting, the colouration of the AAA lizard is completely off. Oh well, I was looking for a good excuse to repaint this guy anyway ;) A decent repaint will really make this figure sing.

brontodocus

Varanus jobiensis, like many monitors, shows some colour variants. The one you've found is one of the dotted variants, there are others that match the figure's paint job better. Here's another juvenile that looks more similar to the AAA figure:

Surely the paint job is sloppy and could have been done a lot better. But the greenish body (which should be more olive) with dark transversal bars, the blueish tail (although how they did it doesn't resemble the pattern of any monitor lizard really well), the pink throat characteristic for V. jobiensis, it's all there in the figure. Of course it could benefit a lot from a good repaint.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

tyrantqueen

Brontodocus, I posted the lizard on another forum and I got a reply back saying that it was actually a Green Tree Monitor (Varanus prasinus), rather than a Varanus jobiensis, as you suggested. This member also mentioned that he had worked in a herptile store before and had experience with them. I guess there is no way to be 100% sure.

Anyway, I have another new AAA lizard.

Here it is with a new friend  :)

Does anyone have any guesses what species this guy could be? I asked around on other websites, but no-one knew. He will get a repaint for sure, his current colour scheme is pretty atrocious.

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 30, 2012, 09:25:50 AM
Brontodocus, I posted the lizard on another forum and I got a reply back saying that it was actually a Green Tree Monitor (Varanus prasinus), rather than a Varanus jobiensis, as you suggested. This member also mentioned that he had worked in a herptile store before and had experience with them. I guess there is no way to be 100% sure.

Anyway, I have another new AAA lizard.

Here it is with a new friend  :)

Good acquistion. I think that he is like as Nile monitor  ^-^.

Does anyone have any guesses what species this guy could be? I asked around on other websites, but no-one knew. He will get a repaint for sure, his current colour scheme is pretty atrocious.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 30, 2012, 09:25:50 AM
Tyrantqueen, Varanus prasinus doesn't have a laterally compressed tail (that's why the Safari Ltd. IC "Emerald Green Monitor" is obviously not cast from V. prasinus, too). Normally I don't find it appropriate to weight someone's results by the profession she or he has but you have to decide for yourself if a herp store clerk is more reliable for you than a university's research associate who has been teaching students in animal species identification since 1996. ;)

tyrantqueen

QuoteTyrantqueen, Varanus prasinus doesn't have a laterally compressed tail (that's why the Safari Ltd. IC "Emerald Green Monitor" is obviously not cast from V. prasinus, too). Normally I don't find it appropriate to weight someone's results by the profession she or he has but you have to decide for yourself if a herp store clerk is more reliable for you than a university's research associate who has been teaching students in animal species identification since 1996.
Thank you for your input. I'm not very knowledgeable in this subject myself, but since you mentioned the laterally compressed tail, it seems to me like you know what you're talking about 8)

QuoteGood acquistion. I think that he is like as Nile monitor
Thank you :)

tyrantqueen

ZoPteryx

Cool!  I never knew they made a Lined Leaf-tailed Gecko! :o

brontodocus

Yep, that's Uroplatus lineatus. I have a spare one, by the way. :)

tyrantqueen

Thanks guys :)

tyrantqueen

Here they all are, climbing over each other :D

sauroid

cool lizards TQ
my house gecko :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stemturtle

Play Visions Crocodilians (1996)

Saltwater Crocodile, Johnston's Crocodile, American Alligator

Zopteryx posted a photo of 4 crocodilians.
SBell showed the Tomistoma.
The other 3 species are pictured above.

Lady luck smiled on me in a most extraordinary fashion.  I won a box of 20 National Geographic Reptiles by PV on eBay that included the 8 crocodilians.  Here is a checklist of that set:
1. Saltwater Crocodile      5. Johnston's (= Freshwater) Crocodile
2. Dwarf Caiman         6. Orinoco Crocodile
3. Black Caiman         7. Gharial
4. Cuban Crocodile         8. American Alligator

My figure 7 is marked Gharial rather than Tomistoma.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on November 26, 2012, 07:44:44 PM
Play Visions Crocodilians (1996)

Saltwater Crocodile, Johnston's Crocodile, American Alligator

Zopteryx posted a photo of 4 crocodilians.
SBell showed the Tomistoma.
The other 3 species are pictured above.

Lady luck smiled on me in a most extraordinary fashion.  I won a box of 20 National Geographic Reptiles by PV on eBay that included the 8 crocodilians.  Here is a checklist of that set:
1. Saltwater Crocodile      5. Johnston's (= Freshwater) Crocodile
2. Dwarf Caiman         6. Orinoco Crocodile
3. Black Caiman         7. Gharial
4. Cuban Crocodile         8. American Alligator

My figure 7 is marked Gharial rather than Tomistoma.

Check your 7 again--mine is marked False Gharial.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.