News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 2017 dinosaur models [poll]

Started by DinoToyForum, December 03, 2017, 06:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your top 10 2017 models?

Bullyland Archaeopteryx (2017 version)
1 (0.7%)
Bullyland Triceratops (2017 version)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Dimorphodon (supreme)
52 (38.2%)
CollectA Basilosaurus
10 (7.4%)
CollectA Kronosaurus
21 (15.4%)
CollectA Uintatherium
24 (17.6%)
CollectA Styracosaurus (deluxe)
35 (25.7%)
CollectA Deinocheirus (deluxe)
16 (11.8%)
CollectA Einiosaurus
21 (15.4%)
CollectA Excalibosaurus
4 (2.9%)
CollectA Gigantspinosaurus
13 (9.6%)
CollectA Regaliceratops
13 (9.6%)
CollectA Pliosaurus (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Dunkleosteus (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Leedsichthys (marine tube mini)
8 (5.9%)
CollectA Archelon (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Temnodontosaurus (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Xiphactinus (marine tube mini)
11 (8.1%)
CollectA Cameroceras (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Baculites (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Parapuzosia (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA trilobite (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Australiceras (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Diplomoceras (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
Eofauna Steppe mammoth
43 (31.6%)
Dinostar Tapejara
11 (8.1%)
Dinostar Psittacosaurus
4 (2.9%)
Dinostar Smilodon
0 (0%)
Favorite Spinosaurus (2017 version)
21 (15.4%)
Favorite Archaeopteryx
13 (9.6%)
Itoy 'Dilophosaurus' sinensis
5 (3.7%)
Mojo Fun Allosaurus
7 (5.1%)
Mojo Fun Tyrannosaurus (hunting 2017 version)
3 (2.2%)
Mojo Fun Tyrannosaurus (small 2017 version)
0 (0%)
Papo Polacanthus
6 (4.4%)
Papo Cryolophosaurus
40 (29.4%)
Papo Dimorphodon
12 (8.8%)
Papo Acrocanthosaurus
35 (25.7%)
Papo Ceratosaurus
69 (50.7%)
Papo Velociraptor (2017 repaint)
2 (1.5%)
Papo Oviraptor (2017 repaint)
2 (1.5%)
Papo cave bear
6 (4.4%)
Papo Smilodon (2017 version)
3 (2.2%)
PNSO little Gigantoraptor
1 (0.7%)
PNSO little Huayangosaurus
4 (2.9%)
PNSO little Mamenchisaurus
1 (0.7%)
PNSO little Microraptor
3 (2.2%)
PNSO little Sinosauropteryx
1 (0.7%)
PNSO little Tsintaosaurus
2 (1.5%)
PNSO little Yangchuanosaurus
3 (2.2%)
PNSO Age of the Dinosaurs Mamenchisaurus
25 (18.4%)
PNSO Triceratops "Doyle"
24 (17.6%)
PNSO Tyrannosaurus "Wilson"
25 (18.4%)
Rebor Carnotaurus "Crimson King"
12 (8.8%)
Rebor Velociraptor "Pete"
3 (2.2%)
Rebor Velociraptor "Spring Heeled Jack"
3 (2.2%)
Rebor Velociraptor "Alex"
3 (2.2%)
Rebor Deinonychus pack
8 (5.9%)
Rebor Stegosaurus hatchling "Clover"
5 (3.7%)
Safari Ltd Parasaurolophus (2017 version)
11 (8.1%)
Safari Ltd Microraptor (2017 version)
15 (11%)
Safari Ltd Coelophysis
42 (30.9%)
Safari Ltd Quetzalcoatlus (2017 version)
9 (6.6%)
Safari Ltd Kronosaurus (2017 version)
21 (15.4%)
Safari Ltd Tylosaurus (2017 version)
11 (8.1%)
Safari Ltd Psittacosaurus (2017 version)
33 (24.3%)
Safari Ltd Velociraptor (feathered, 2017 version)
58 (42.6%)
Safari Ltd Giganotosaurus (2017 version)
49 (36%)
Safari Ltd Tyrannosaurus rex (feathered, 2017 version)
76 (55.9%)
Safari Ltd Einiosaurus
26 (19.1%)
Safari Ltd Deinocheirus
38 (27.9%)
Safari Ltd Diplodocus (2017 version)
37 (27.2%)
Schleich Acrocanthosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Schleich Kentrosaurus
6 (4.4%)
Schleich Utahraptor
2 (1.5%)
Schleich Stegosaurus
8 (5.9%)
Schleich Allosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Schleich Brachiosaurus
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 136

ZoPteryx

Voted!  ;D  It was a challenge to pick just 10, but I eventually whittled it down.  I've always thought this was a strong year for Safari, and it looks like most people agree!  :)

BlueKrono

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 12, 2017, 04:49:28 PM
Two figures seem to by striding ahead of the pack, vying for first place. But there are only 24 votes so far, that could all change.

Aaaaaand the Papo pulls ahead.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 12, 2017, 08:56:18 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 12, 2017, 04:49:28 PM
Two figures seem to by striding ahead of the pack, vying for first place. But there are only 24 votes so far, that could all change.

Aaaaaand the Papo pulls ahead.

Aaaand...now it's in 2nd again...!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

I'm surprised with the Papo Ceratosaurus many preferences and current second place, I would have thought it well behind other few much popular figures, such as some Safaris and a couple Collectas. But I think that in the end it'll be surpassed.

Faelrin

Safari Ltd is dominating the poll so far. Although with Papo and CollectA in between some. I wonder how this will play out in the end. I'm not surprised the Safari Ltd Feathered Tyrannosaurus is in the lead though, so far. In any case, what a good year it was for figures, especially from Safari Ltd, Papo, and CollectA. I can't forget Eofauna with their Steppe Mammoth either. While I can't say the same for Rebor, I do rather like their Carnotaurus, and Deinonychus clan. I still want to get them down the road, unless more accurate (and hopefully cheaper) figures of those genus come out beforehand.

And as if it wasn't tough for me to pick for this year's poll, 2018 is going to have one heck of an interesting poll, no doubt with the inclusion of Vitae's figures, the Beast of the Mesozoic figures, and all the exciting Safari Ltd, CollectA, and Papo releases. Even Schleich and Mojo have upped their game. Then there will also be the JW:FK line by Mattel as well.

I would have voted for the CollectA Prehistoric Marine Tube, but since it was separated, I figured it would be better to vote for something else then a mix, or any one particular critter from it. I also regret not voting for the Eofauna Steppe Mammoth, but I kind of jumped the gun with voting, and missed it with all the choices present.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

That darn toob took up most of my votes!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DC

As a release the whole CollectA tube was a favorite. I really liked the Safari Coelophysis, since it changed the template for how the dinosaur should be seen. I voted for new ideas, while admitting there are many high quality implementations of dinosaurs.   
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DC

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 03, 2017, 08:47:35 PM
The Rebor Deinonychus trio shipped in January 2017, so if Rebor gets included I think they squeak in. At any rate they weren't included in the 2016 poll, so they probably deserve a shot.

Would anyone vote for the following?

• Favorite mini dioramas

I like Favorite Dioramas and the Burgess shale figures but they really are not available outside of Japan so most people do not know about them.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DinoToyForum

One of the contenders is definitely pulling ahead of the rest of the pack. 

Reptilia

I don't understand how the WS Tyrannosaurus is so much ahead of the Velociraptor. In light of recent rediscussions about T-Rex integument you'd think that all people here concerned with accuracy would prefer the Velociraptor.

suspsy

T. rex integument remains an open discussion, not a settled case. And regardless of whether or not it really is scientifically accurate, it's still a visually impressive and masterfully sculpted toy.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

danmalcolm

Personally I think a scaly tyrannosaurus is more likely, and I got PNSO's masterpiece (imo) this year instead of Safari's masterpiece. The animals integument is still up for debate, and nobody can deny that the feathered Rex looks extremely cool. I can see why so many voted for it (myself included).

...that said, Wilson's eyes with the stock paint job were strange and unsettling. one of the first things I did with the model was repaint the eyes.

SBell

Quote from: Reptilia on December 15, 2017, 11:44:41 PM
I don't understand how the WS Tyrannosaurus is so much ahead of the Velociraptor. In light of recent rediscussions about T-Rex integument you'd think that all people here concerned with accuracy would prefer the Velociraptor.

If accuracy were the benchmark, Papo would generally not do as well as it does...they are artwork, but not exactly science-based.

ceratopsian

I remain reluctant to vote the Safari T. rex the top model when the first one I bought had to be returned because it wouldn't stand at all and its replacement requires gently propping up with its nose against the wall.  It's a beautiful sculpt but stability counts for something, for me at least.  I know others view things differently!

bmathison1972

everyone votes for different reasons. Some vote for scientific accuracy, some aesthetics, some for interesting species selection (that would be me), and some just vote for their favorite regardless of what it looks like.

Personally I expected the CollectA supreme Dimorphodon to run away with it.

bmathison1972

Simon

*Chuckle* - Of course it winds up being a popularity contest, and a "good" overall figure that has been seen "in-hand" by the most people usually wins (looks like this year will be no different, judging by the standings above - but I digress).

What this means is that the "best" figure (ie most accurate/artistic) almost NEVER actually wins, because that figure is usually on the more expensive end and has thus only been acquired by a small number of people. 

Popularity/sexiness of a species is a BIG factor too.

I confess to having my own prejudices in this regard.  I'll tell you a funny story about that - when Doug's Safari Iguanodon won a year or so ago, I was really left scratching my head.  I felt like posting: "I know its a well-done, accurate sculpt - but people - its JUST an IGUANODON!!  What were you thinking??!!??"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Simon

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 16, 2017, 04:33:40 PM
I remain reluctant to vote the Safari T. rex the top model when the first one I bought had to be returned because it wouldn't stand at all and its replacement requires gently propping up with its nose against the wall.  It's a beautiful sculpt but stability counts for something, for me at least.  I know others view things differently!

OK.  I've been biting my tongue, but you "opened the door", so I'll second your sentiment.  While I haven't actually held it "in hand", from the myriad photos I've seen it seems to me that - in the mass-produced version at least - there is something off with the TEETH of this figure.  Either they are too uniform, or they have been over-painted into the jaw ... or SOMETHING.  The pose is also a bit too "squat" for me (I realize this is due to the need to balance it so it can stand on its own, a compromise, but one that also affects aesthetics.

Finally - OK.  I'll SAY IT.  Its ... wait for it ... IMPOSSIBLY feathered.

There.  I said it.  ;)

There is "0" (ZERO) , ZED, % chance that an actual Tyrannosaurus Rex had this level of feathering (unless there's an undiscovered sub-species that lived in the Arctic Circle).  Wearing the saurian equivalent of a full FUR COAT in the Tropics is not something that evolution selects for.  Ever.  Animals in that size range lose their hair (see elephants, rhinos), UNLESS they live in a cold climate (Woolly Mammoth & Woolly Rhino). 

But its a pretty figure, its gonna win, and I really have no problems with that.  It was Safari stepping out of its "comfort zone", and for that they should be commended.  Hopefully that encoruages them to continue to "take chances".  The more the merrier.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

stargatedalek

Quote from: Simon on December 16, 2017, 05:40:38 PM
*Chuckle* - Of course it winds up being a popularity contest, and a "good" overall figure that has been seen "in-hand" by the most people usually wins (looks like this year will be no different, judging by the standings above - but I digress).

What this means is that the "best" figure (ie most accurate/artistic) almost NEVER actually wins, because that figure is usually on the more expensive end and has thus only been acquired by a small number of people. 

Popularity/sexiness of a species is a BIG factor too.

I confess to having my own prejudices in this regard.  I'll tell you a funny story about that - when Doug's Safari Iguanodon won a year or so ago, I was really left scratching my head.  I felt like posting: "I know its a well-done, accurate sculpt - but people - its JUST an IGUANODON!!  What were you thinking??!!??"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Look I'm sorry but I have to say most people here (and most scientists) disagree with you on what's considered accurate. The PNSO Tyrannosaurus is largely regarded as being highly shrink-wrapped, over-textured (details that shouldn't be visible in life, highly repetitive scale details, etc.), and many disagree about the choice of integument.

And while I agree with your second point, if you were truly lamenting the wins by overrated species why were you earlier so strongly encouraging the PNSO Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus?

Quote from: Simon on December 16, 2017, 05:50:13 PM

Finally - OK.  I'll SAY IT.  Its ... wait for it ... IMPOSSIBLY feathered.

There.  I said it.  ;)

There is "0" (ZERO) , ZED, % chance that an actual Tyrannosaurus Rex had this level of feathering (unless there's an undiscovered sub-species that lived in the Arctic Circle).  Wearing the saurian equivalent of a full FUR COAT in the Tropics is not something that evolution selects for.  Ever.  Animals in that size range lose their hair (see elephants, rhinos), UNLESS they live in a cold climate (Woolly Mammoth & Woolly Rhino). 

But its a pretty figure, its gonna win, and I really have no problems with that.  It was Safari stepping out of its "comfort zone", and for that they should be commended.  Hopefully that encoruages them to continue to "take chances".  The more the merrier.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
While I agree that the feathering is more extensive than likely, I wouldn't call it impossible by any means. On a figure in this scale "thick" feathers are going to look identical to "loose" feathers that don't hug the animals contours and hang loosely covering its flanks without directly resting on them.

Tyrannosaurus didn't live in a tropical environment, Hell Creek had seasonal temperature changes that most likely would have dropped below freezing in winter months.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.