News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Goro Furuta's awesome Plesiosaur sculpture

Started by sauroid, December 29, 2017, 11:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

At 50 million Yen (about $5500 CDN!) it's far too pricey for me, but if this sculpt was cast and sold at a reasonable price it would be a must-have. Something about it gives a distinct impression of an infant, it seems so alive being held like that.

I must ask what in particular are the accuracy issues with it? I think the flippers don't connect to the body correctly, but is that it?

WarrenJB

Can't speak about the flippers (don't know plesiosaur anatomy that well), but...

"Contrary to early work... the plesiosaur neck did not have the flexibility required to coil up and strike prey in the manner of some snakes and pleurodiran turtles"

I've also never seen those ridges around and over the body, that look like a leatherback shell or something trying to push it's way out, on any other restoration. Overall I'd echo what Sauroid said earlier - Goro's managed to get a spectacular level of detail, sense of movement and realism by drawing heavily on turtle references; but it's led him to overegg the pudding.

Flaffy

Pretty, I would buy it as a mythical creature, but definitely not as a Plesiosaur.

Doug Watson

Brolyss4

I've asked him if he will sell kits or painted statues but he does not answer to my messages, I dont know if he doesn't speak English or if he doesn't care about selling his figure.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.