News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Ictonyx artwork

Started by Ictonyx, June 04, 2018, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ictonyx

Another ornithomimosaur - the ornithomimid Struthiomimus.

Jose S.M.

That's lovely, I like it very much.

Patrx

Great reconstruction! Very lifelike.

Halichoeres

Really nice work on this one!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ictonyx

Bokisaurus

Great artwork, I like how simple yet so alive they all look, very nice. Keep it up, looking forward to more.

Ictonyx

Charavoitau

The art style is so soft and cute, I love it!

Ictonyx

Ictonyx

Kronosaurus queenslandicus

Digibasherx

Your artwork's lovely, and I'm really digging the way you shade.  It's subtle, but Your understanding of skeletal and musculature really comes through.

Ictonyx

Thanks Digibasherx, that's a really nice comment. Much appreciated!

Halichoeres

I think you're holding back a little bit. Don't be afraid to go dark! You can give a lot more depth to, for example, the flippers as they stick out. It's a very nice composition but I have seen you do even better ones :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Ictonyx

Thanks Halichoeres. For years I only drew flat lateral views, so the challenge with all my drawings at the moment is to understand shapes, and practice different angles and shading. Here is a darker version to compare to the original. Always a learning process!

Halichoeres

Yes! Looks like it occupies some three dimensional space now. Well done.

Ictonyx

Coelophysis bauri.

Learning to portray extinct animals from different angles is proving as tricky as I expected. Much to learn about perspective, but practice is enjoyable!

Halichoeres

I think it turned out nicely! It's really hard to find reference material in anything other than lateral view (sometimes dorsal view for skulls). I came late to the realization that taking photos from weird angles of museum mounts can be really useful. Now I need to revisit all the museums where I took photos in regular old lateral view.

Ictonyx

Thanks, and you're right about museum mounts. I'm not too much of an osteology buff, so the two things I like most about seeing mounts are a) they give a visceral appreciation of an animal's size that can't really be gained from just knowing measurements, and b) they allow you to look at (and photograph) a skeleton from a bunch of different angles.

Of course, the caveat with using mounts for reference is that many of them, especially many of the older ones, have obvious issues - pectoral girdles in strange places, no allowance for cartilage between vertebrae, wrists and ankles in unlikely or impossible positions, and - one of my personal favourites - mounts that contain casts of bones from individuals that were markedly different in size - the axial skeleton of a small Iguanodon attached to the limbs of a massive one, for instance. There is a mounted Camarasaurus in the London NHM that has a big cervical vert directly caudal to a much smaller one, giving the cervical series a sudden 'step' like a telescope. This is the sort of thing you notice more and more of, the more you look at mounts.

Justin_

Quote from: Ictonyx on August 02, 2018, 01:49:47 PM

.........Much to learn about perspective, but practice is enjoyable!

What would help with the coelophysis is to have less texture detail as you get further along the tail. Also maybe a slightly thicker outline to closer areas and thinner for further away. I guess you could try this out digitally with your scan.

Ictonyx

Haast's eagle, Hieraaetus moorei.

A drawing done to work out the proportions of the head, and try out one possible plumage scheme.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.