News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Boki's Adventure in Sculpting:The Conclusion! (2/26/22)

Started by Bokisaurus, June 27, 2018, 07:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

CollectA should contract you to choose their color schemes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Thanks guys ^-^

Well, we are back for more mammals. This time, we have an Elasmotherium :D
I have always wondered why none of the major brands have released one yet, this is such and impressive and more interesting animal than the woolly rhino in my opinion.
Anyway, so right after the Sivatheriums and Bramatherium, this was the next species on my list since I really wanted one, so what better way than to make one yourself.

Being one of the earlier works, looking back now, I can see so much flaws and areas I would love to fix, issues that was not obvious back then. AS I gain more and more experience, it's hard to look back at some of my earlier works and want to go back and redo them all :D LOL! IF I do go back and redo some species, this would definitely be one on the list.
The most obvious issue to me is that the belly is so shrunken, I guess it could be a starving animal!

There are two different looks that is often seen in art when this animal is depicted, one that is woolly and one that is partial.
I opted to base mine on a Bison, so partial long hair covering.
It was interesting trying to sculpt those fur!
Well, hope you like him, and who knows, maybe one day a new version of him will pop up!
[]
And as always, we have Mr. Owen here trying to befriend the beast ;D
Thanks for checking and as I finish painting more figures, I will be [posting them up. I have some that I am really excited about :D
[]

Bokisaurus

Well, might as well post my very first sauropod. I am not happy how this one turned out. I guess after having success with the mammal and ceratopsians, I figured sauropods would be an easy one!
I was soooooooo wrong! Despite simple designs, they are hard to sculpt, mostly the head, which is ironic considering that the ceratopsians are more ornate and complicated.
I guess it's the simplicity that makes it difficult, trying to make it read as a head as opposed to just a round thing on the end of a long neck! ;D

Anyway, it was a good attempt and after I finished this one, I took a break from trying to sculpt sauropods and concentrated on ceratopsians and more mammals. I went back recently and just finished an Amarga that I am happy with.
So here it is, it's a Lohuecotitan.
[]
There are a lot of problems with proportion on this guy. For starters the spines on the back are way to large and numerous that there should. Ah well, we learn. It looks more like an Amphelosaurus ;D
[]

It will be a while before I can update this thread since I am going out of town for 10 days.
Anyway, thanks for checking, till the next time!
Cheers!

Jose S.M.

Nice job, I like it a lot and the colors blend nicely, really interesting animal too. I haven't sculpted any sauropods yet, I wanted to make one since last year but always change my mind. I wanted to make a Camarasaurus because no company had one that I liked but now Safari gave us one.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 06, 2018, 07:21:54 PM
Nice job, I like it a lot and the colors blend nicely, really interesting animal too. I haven't sculpted any sauropods yet, I wanted to make one since last year but always change my mind. I wanted to make a Camarasaurus because no company had one that I liked but now Safari gave us one.

Thnanks Jose ;)
You should go for it, sculpt a sauropod! I would be very interested to see what you come up with, plus hear what your experience is sculpting one.
Yeah, Camara was one of the species on my shortlist of sauropods to make, but it fell off the list since I had such a hard time sculpting the head. Maybe I will revisit it someday.

Halichoeres

That's a solid effort, but I'm sure you'll improve quickly working on your favorite group...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Bokisaurus

Well, it's been while since I added anything, it's been a busy summer ;D
Anyhow, I was going to post this one much later after I post some of the earlier ones I already finished, but then I wanted a break from the earlier ones since some of t hem are now going through some paint revisions ;D

So, when I started my sculpting adventure, pterosaurs were down on my list since I felt like they are too complicated and small to sculpt. However, I did want to at least try my hands on one.
I am tired of the flying pose that 99 % of pterosaurs available are sculpted.
When I made a short list of pterosaur species, Quetzalcoatlus and it's kin were on the top of the list. In the end, after much deliberation, I decided that Questzalcoatlus would be ht one I would tackle.
In this species, I can sculpt it in a non-flying poses  pose I really like to see in pterosaurs in general.
[]
Well, I have to say that it was a challenge, mostly due to the wings, how it was folded. The thin arms and delicate structure overall was also a huge challenge. Wires were employed to give the small and skinny parts some stability.
When I was finished, I was not happy at how the wings looked, so I went back and shaved off some clay off the arms and re-sculpted it. Same goes wit the wing membrane.
It took 3 revisions to get to the point that I was happy enough to call it finish and prep it for painting.
[]
I originally wanted a black and white color scheme, but when I painted it, it looked so off to me. So I revised the paint scheme and bases some of the head colors on a stork and caspian terns.
Although it was a huge challenge, I enjoyed sculpting this guy and learned a lot. :))
[]

Well, I have so much catching up to do! Still a lot of mammals, sauropods, and marine reptiles just waiting for their turn on the spot light ;D
Hope you like him and thanks for looking!
Cheers!
[]

Digibasherx

Boki,  your Quetz looks great.  You've improved a lot since you first dabbled in sculpting.

Jose S.M.

IrritatorRaji

If someone told me this was professionally manufactured I wouldn't think to second guess them. This Quetz is so beautiful, I just can't get over how striking that face is!

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 06, 2018, 07:03:59 PM
I am tired of the flying pose that 99 % of pterosaurs available are sculpted.

I agree with this also. The flying poses are nice but really make them difficult to display (also, pterosaurs weren't in the air 24/7). Seeing more pterosaurs posed in standing positions is always welcome! :)

ceratopsian

Beautiful colour scheme. I much prefer standing pterosaurs too.

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone for the nice comments ^-^
I think I will unleash the ceratopsian herd next! ^-^

Bokisaurus

Okay, so I have been motivating myself to keep posting my finished work and get caught up on this project ;D
So here we go, as I mentioned earlier, I am going to start posting photos of the ceratopsian herd I have finished. To date, I have finished 11 ceratopsians :)) With all of them now finished and painted, I can resume p[osting them in the order in which they were completed.

Einiosaurus- This species was the second one I sculpted, right after my very first one that was a disaster :)) I have to say, I have struggled with this one big time. I am not that happy with it, so many flaws that I can see a nd it turned out so far from how I have envisioned it in my head.
Maybe this species will be on the "Redemption" list :D
[
This one came so close to being discarded, but in the end I decided to finish it.

Nasutoceratops - Right after the Diablo and Kosmo, this was the next one I did, making him # 5 in the lineup. I was happy with how the Kosmo and Diablo turned out, that when I finished this one I was disappointed . It wasn't as bad as the Einiosaurus, but definitely one of the weakest int he entire lineup.
[

Colors were inspired by giraffe ^-^ ;D
[
[
Here they are together. I tend to do them in pairs :)) which is interesting since you can see the influences on the color and design ;D
[]
This two marks the boundary between the two part of the series. After these two, I took a break from ceratopsians and did other species. When I resume, there is a mark difference in the style and sculpting quality between these first five and the last ones.
Okay, till the next installment, thanks for looking!

Charavoitau

Wow, the models are looking nice, and the progress is absolutely stunning! I do suggest though to try and make a print tool  (something like a small ball on a wire handle with indents in it) for the scales out of sculpey, as your models need a bit of texture on the sides and belly. It will improve them even more. Overall, the progress and the variety of animals you undertake is quite spectacular.

Gwyndor

Great creations! Your ceratopsians are somwhat thin and slender, that's m only critic.
I am especially impressed by your fishes! They are exceptionally well done
Where you can find me aswell: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gwyndor_/?hl=de
deviantART: https://www.deviantart.com/gwyndor

Jose S.M.

I like them both and those colors! I love the Einiosaurus pattern, I envy your ability to give your sculpts striking colors and patterns, when I try to do that I end uo not liking it and change to the more simplistic schemes I've used.

Bokisaurus

Hi everyone! Time for a new update .
Today,  I will share something a little different than the usual. So, I have finished a bunch of marine reptiles, marine mammals, and some fishes ( Yes!). I got some pre-cut bases for them. As I was finishing up painting the bases and putting the figures on them, I felt that the whole presentation was a little boring.
[]
My original thought was to add some rocks on the base to add something to it. As I went about, I decided that why not just sculpt a mini scene instead? So, I threw the rocks and went to work!
As most of the species are oceanic creatures, I wanted to make a reef. Now, the reef is not really based on the prehistoric kind, it's mostly generic looking reef scene.
After sculpting a few, I felt it still needed something, so I decided to try my hands in sculpting some reef fishes to go along with the base. It was really very difficult to try and sculpt fish at such a small scale. At first I did a cutout, but those look so flat and did not compliment the fishes that they will eventually go with.
So I went back and sculpted the fishes individually. Like the reef, the majority of the fish are not species that are prehistoric, with the exception of a couple of them. Again, I just wanted something that would add some movement to the bottom of the base.
As you can see, I used nails to hold the fishes  :)) I mostly based the fishes and colors on butterflyfish and some perch-like fish.
[
[]

The painting part was fun! Again, it was difficult painting small, so I really struggled with keeping the lines and paint ap tidy. But I think it looks good.
[
[]
Here is a sample of what they would look like on the base
[]

Now, this next one was made specifically for a species that you all will be meeting soon ^-^
[]
It's a lungfish, the only non-marine fish
This next one is also made specifically for a species that I hope to post very soon after this post
[]

I originally intended to glue the reef to the bases, but as I was playing around trying to match them, I started liking the idea of having them not attached and free to be moved around. So, they are not mounted on the base, this way I can move them around, add more, subtract more, and be flexible to whatever combination I like ;D

Well, hope you enjoyed the swim :)) The next time you will see these bases and fishes again they will be supporting actors to much much bigger marine animals!
Thanks for looking, till next time, Cheers! ;D

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Jose S.M.

Those fishes are awesome and the bases are very very nice! Great job.

Halichoeres

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.