News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1:2 Scale Jurassic Park T-rex Head Wall Bust Finished!

Started by yankeetrex, March 18, 2019, 01:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeetrex

Just like the blue bust I recently printed, I plan on Printing this in a large scale as well. I've had this project on the back burner for some time, but felt it was time to give it some love.   Currently working on adding each scale 1 by 1. My wrist hurts,haha.  I'll continue to update the thread with in progress shots, Keyshot renders, and finally with the printed piece.  Once this is done, I think my time with the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus is over for good!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome!  I sympathize bud, I don't really use texture stamps so I have to sculpt every scale and wrinkle too. 

yankeetrex

The Sculpt is finished and the print is about 45 percent done, here are some pics of the final model....

Here is the Print, first Pics are of just the snout so you can see the printed detail...

Quick Pic with me for scale....

I should have the lower jaw done by the end of the weekend, then the neck and of to seam filling, sanding and painting!  Thinking about cutting out my sculpted eyes and inserting glass or acrylic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Blade-of-the-Moon

yankeetrex

I'm on my 5th spool, so for me my cost is 20 dollars per spool plus whatever my energy usage is.  If I were to charge for a print, most printers charge 5 dollars per printed hour, each part is between 13-18 hours. I have 19 parts so far, and if I multiplied the 19 parts by my lowest amount of Hours per part(13) thats 247 hours, 247 X $5 is $1235. I have 7 more parts to go as well,haha.  Not a cheap endeavor is someone wanted one.  So if I ever decided to try to sell them the only way I would do that is by molding and casting, huge upfront cost for me and still would be very expensive for the consumer.  Still weighing my options.

stargatedalek

Another option would be selling the 3D models themselves. There is definitely a market for it, especially if they're pre-cut for printing with minimal or no supports.

yankeetrex

Hey Everyone, 

Been a bit since I updated, but here is the progress to this point.....

Did some work at my parents house on Fathers day..

Blade-of-the-Moon

yankeetrex

Paint Update!

Still have about 6-10 more hours I would think on this girl....

khallam

yankeetrex

Update.....Almost Done! just the teeth left.

Fenestra

So much time, so much work, but....Beautiful outcome!
It is looking GRAND!

(Don't forget to put some gloss on eyes and teeth/mouth when you are finally finished!)  ;)

BOOM! :o 8)

yankeetrex

So I went and decided to try to make better resin eyes....

They came out dull due to the silicon mold that I used.  I've been told if I pour another layer of resin over the piece that the dullness will go away and I will see the eye much clearer, anyone work with resin that could tell me if thats true? Or if they have a better solution?

yankeetrex

I can finally say the paint work is done.  The resin eyes after getting them clear again really bring the whole thing together.  I love that the eyes follow you when you walk around it,haha.

Kotori_Sonoda

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

yankeetrex

Hey Everyone!

My Girl is done, and because of this project, I was contacted to have it printed full size for an event at LAMNH this weekend! I will share pics of that as soon as it is done. But here are the finals of my personal project!

fason

yankeetrex

Quote from: fason on September 20, 2019, 01:50:39 AM
Thats amazing ! what material is it made of ?

PLA 3d print Plastic for the body, the eye is resin

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.