News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops horridus

Started by dinonikes, November 18, 2012, 09:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

I'm also okay with being consistent - plus, you may be likely to sell more in the "old-school" featherless style anyway; they're still quite popular.

dinonikes

One could always have feathers added to a featherless sculpt through commission work, special order, it would be easy enough to add that protofeathery fuzz in epoxy over existing scale sculpt.

Patrx

Quote from: dinonikes on November 22, 2012, 12:45:55 AM
One could always have feathers added to a featherless sculpt through commission work, special order, it would be easy enough to add that protofeathery fuzz in epoxy over existing scale sculpt.

That is an interesting notion. I expect someone like Martin Garratt could make such a thing happen.

dinonikes

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 22, 2012, 01:16:22 AM

That is an interesting notion. I expect someone like Martin Garratt could make such a thing happen.

I could also do it as a special order piece for any interested. I have played around with the idea of feathers-have added clay onto pieces once they have been molded to try out some stuff- seems like there would be a market for such things. I think Sean Cooper (not positive offhand who the sculptor was) did some feathered rexes- I saw photos posted on a modeling/sculpting forum of sculpts in a couple of poses- they looked interesting and were done real nicely. I might just take a piece that is scaled, and already molded and then add some feathering.

Patrx

Quote from: dinonikes on November 22, 2012, 02:57:46 AM
Quote from: Pixelboy on November 22, 2012, 01:16:22 AM

I could also do it as a special order piece for any interested. I have played around with the idea of feathers-have added clay onto pieces once they have been molded to try out some stuff- seems like there would be a market for such things. I think Sean Cooper (not positive offhand who the sculptor was) did some feathered rexes- I saw photos posted on a modeling/sculpting forum of sculpts in a couple of poses- they looked interesting and were done real nicely. I might just take a piece that is scaled, and already molded and then add some feathering.

Oh? That could be cool! Then would you be able to offer casts either feathered or scaled, all from the same basic sculpt? That'd be something that would really set your line apart. I just did a review of a feathered resin T. rex that ought to hit the blog soon. I think it's a good example of really natural-looking feathers.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Was thinking the same thing ! I figured Malcolm could tweak one easily enough..would be interesting to see for sure.

dinonikes

Here are some photos of the rough clay sculpts of this set-

Patrx

Cool! They work together quite well. Bit like a yin/yang thing.

SBell

If that's the model based on the original design...sigh. :'( It would have been so cool to see (especially with a whole bunch of them lined up together...).

Takama

Cool, A Bad@$$ Option to the current Rex figure 8)

Once again, im tempted

Jetoar

Cool friend. I cant wait to see these scilptires finished  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

AWESOME ! I will be getting a set of these I assure you ! ;D

Your poses have just gotten so daring and dramatic..I LOVE it !

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.