News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Stegosaurus ungulatus- Released

Started by dinonikes, November 18, 2012, 09:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

No photos to post yet, just an armature built so far. Just wanted to start a thread for this figure so I can just upload photos when I can.

Blade-of-the-Moon

We'll need a new attacking Allosaurus to go with it I'm thinking.. ;D

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 19, 2012, 12:21:33 AM

No, He can use that Active Ceratoesaur sculpt to go with this.

Allosaurus VS Stego=Cliche

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on November 19, 2012, 12:23:33 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 19, 2012, 12:21:33 AM

No, He can use that Active Ceratoesaur sculpt to go with this.

Allosaurus VS Stego=Cliche

I have to say.. SO !?   T-Rex VS Triceratops is cliche but it's still a hugely popular image.   Malcolm does have another Ceratosaur planned as well...so maybe it could be two Ceratos VS a Stego VS an attacking Allosaurus. Talk about an awesome diorama scene.   :)

Patrx

Interesting choice of Stegosaurus species :) How about a browsing pose, with some ferns or shrubs on the base?

dinonikes

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 19, 2012, 04:19:26 PM
Interesting choice of Stegosaurus species :) How about a browsing pose, with some ferns or shrubs on the base?

I figured it would be a little different to do this stegosaur instead of the standard. I had thought of making it on its hind limbs, but just went ahead with a more standard pose first.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't think standing stegosaurs are too played out yet.  One that was rearing and attacking though.. :D Just tossing out ideas here.

dinonikes

Rough clay sculpt-

Patrx

It looks lovely so far, very elegant :) I found the following article, when you get around to detailing the hands: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2010/11/stegosaurs-walked-like-sauropods/
Also, there's this little post about stegosaur neck armor: http://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/gular-armour/

Quite possibly stuff you'd already known, but I thought it couldn't hurt :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow. I have to agree with Pixelboy. I'm tempted to buy this just on these pics and imagining what it will eventually look like !

Takama

tempted again.   Its everything i was expecting.    Almost like the Sakari one but bigger.

I cant wait to see it finnisehd

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

ajax

Quote from: Takama on November 27, 2012, 05:01:25 AM
tempted again.   Its everything i was expecting.    Almost like the Sakari one but bigger.

I cant wait to see it finnisehd

I think its very Safarish too.

Takama

Oh, and when it comes to the painting stage.    Pleas dont make it Green with Red plates an official color for it

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think it feels a bit more elegant than the Safari one. Maybe even sexy ? ;D

Why bring up the green and red color scheme ? Malcolm might just do it now.. it is getting toward Christmas ! lol

Roktman

Simon

Fantastic Steg, Malcolm - they just keep getting better and better!!

wings

Quote from: Patrx on November 19, 2012, 04:19:26 PM
I wonder if it is a valid species?

"...Maidment et al. (2008) reviewed the known Stegosaurus material and concluded that all of the differences between specimens could be accounted for by intraspecific variation. All specimens previously described as Stegosaurus were therefore either referred to Stegosaurus armatus or considered to be indeterminate..." (Maidment 2010)

If it is a S. armatus, I wonder if the number of plates on the back are still correct?

dinonikes

Quote from: wings on January 08, 2013, 09:33:36 AM
Quote from: Patrx on November 19, 2012, 04:19:26 PM
I wonder if it is a valid species?

"...Maidment et al. (2008) reviewed the known Stegosaurus material and concluded that all of the differences between specimens could be accounted for by intraspecific variation. All specimens previously described as Stegosaurus were therefore either referred to Stegosaurus armatus or considered to be indeterminate..." (Maidment 2010)

If it is a S. armatus, I wonder if the number of plates on the back are still correct?

I am not sure myself. I based it on Gregory Paul's reconstruction in his Princeton Field Guide. Well whatever, this one is finished sculpting, and I think it turned out real nice, will post photos of the finished clay sculpt when I can do so.

wings

I see, you've mainly swapped the position of the back legs (although now it becomes an unusual step phase, maybe it's posing instead of walking...) and curved the body a bit. Oh well, you've finished sculpting the animal already.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.