News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dino Riders Return!

Started by dinoridersworld.com, October 01, 2020, 07:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinoridersworld.com

Hello all.  It's been a while since I posted but this needs to be pushed.  Mattel is bringing back Dino Riders at least in some fashion.  Not exactly like the original but I'll take anything I can get and I'm all in on these.  Art work is amazing.  Thoughts?

https://toyhypeusa.com/2020/10/01/dino-riders-rulon-warriors-battle-pack-eeexclusive-pre-orders/

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/MTGYY42R?id=TO-206070858&number=MTV0440&source=pjn&subid=43737&clickId=3296621969

Jack James

It's not quite the dream but at least it's something. I think I'm more excited for the box. Can't help but notice tho that there are rulons on dinosaurs without brain boxes and valorians on dinosaurs with brain boxes so not sure they even bothered to look at the source material. My guess would be this release has something to do with copyright laws? Hopefully it gains some traction tho, I'll be ordering 2 boxes.

BlueKrono

I think there's already a thread about this...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Soooo, what are these figures, exactly? Why are they unpainted? Is this gonna be some sorta tabletop version of Dino Riders?

Jack James

My theory is that matels copyright may have been nearing expiry in a country or 2 if they didn't do something with it. So they chucked this out too avoid anyone else being able to do anything with it? I noticed it went pretty quiet from the guys who thought they might be able to do some statues.

Jack James

I watched a review of the new Dino Riders. I thought they looked pretty good for the price. I'm quite excited that my 4 year old will have some Dino Riders he can play with and not just look at. It seems the box has somewhere that tells a bit of the premise and clearly states that the rulons cruelly enslave the dinosaurs with brain boxes which makes the valorian on a brain boxed dino all the more stranger. On the whole I am still very excited that something is actually happening with "Dino Riders".

dinoridersworld.com

The box set has been released and I did a full review.  I hope you find it informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrxqwcpq5U

Blade-of-the-Moon

Tylosaurus

Quote from: dinoridersworld.com on January 16, 2021, 01:22:43 AM
The box set has been released and I did a full review.  I hope you find it informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrxqwcpq5U
Well it's still kind of strange tho, if this series is on a comeback I'd hope they pick up the old pace but with more accurate dino's of what we all know how they would of looked like today
As my overall view of this new set it's more of an insult from what we had back then, the lack of multiple colors  separate armor and   many more things to mention, I just hope this  a demo of where this series might be going and that the final details, the separate models will be as be old ones, better in scale with the riders would also be nice, the figures on the T.rex see way too large in comparison of the T.rex it's self.

Like you mentioning on using the JP & JW Dino's that can certainly work or even better to create their own dino line  but similar to scale from the vintage DR line of toys.

Personally I won't buy this set, I really don't like it enough to add to my original DR Set, it's not the direction I had hoped this franchise would return with.
Also being a Rulon Warrior set why isn't the box light purple, also something weird.

The Valorian/Dino-Riders dino's are green they could of been made Blue  since the Rulons are purple, not that this is a shameful difference it's somewhat strange of choice
All in all  it's cool to see this line come to life, but I don't know what to see good in it t be very honest it's all minimal and lacking in many ways.

Good to see you around Ted, it's been a while.

DC

I got mine the scale is like the Dinosaurier schlacht with 1/72 scale valorian and rulons. Not clear if the sauropod is a diplodocus or apatosaurus. The saurolophus looks like a parasaurlophus.

I want Boki to paint some and post.

Good figures needs some game rules.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Chubi

Quote from: Jack James on October 02, 2020, 02:08:14 AM
It's not quite the dream but at least it's something. I think I'm more excited for the box. Can't help but notice tho that there are rulons on dinosaurs without brain boxes and valorians on dinosaurs with brain boxes so not sure they even bothered to look at the source material. My guess would be this release has something to do with copyright laws? Hopefully it gains some traction tho, I'll be ordering 2 boxes.

I'm pretty sure the "saurolophus" and the "deinonychus" got switched at some point so that the Rulon wouldn't have all the "cool" dinosaurs. if so, it's too bad. They could've release another set with both "triceratops" and "deinonychus", but this time without brain boxes ; and everyone would've been fine with it.

Chubi

Got my own set last week. So glad i'm finally able to get some small Dino Riders figure.

However, i'm a bit disappointed by the lack of consistency for the model's artstyle : While the "Pterodactyl" and "Deinonychus" are a bit too cartoony, the sauropod has a very modern look to it, unlike what's depicted on the box's artwork. . .

Anyway, i really hope they'll make another set by next year ; with a swann-neck, tail-dragging brontosaur ; and one pachyrhinosaur with an oversized-horned too !

brandem

I just notice and got my own set of these, they really came out of left field.

There's actually some nice little details but also some weird errors, I'm temped to pick up a second set to give them all paint jobs.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.