News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Patrx's CGI dinosaur composites

Started by Patrx, November 28, 2012, 09:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Greetings, all! I thought I'd share some work I've done over the years involving the combining of CGI dinosaurs (etc) with photography.

Achillobator giganticus patroling a forest in Cretaceous Mongolia. 2010

A pair of Stegoceras vallidum in a very generic-looking forest. 2011

Irritator challengeri makes its first successful catch of the day. There are a lot of things here I think could do with improving  :P 2011

Persistent drought drives a Coelophysis to consider its chances against a Postosuchus. The prize is nothing more than a tiny lizard. Just finished this one. I call it "Tough Times in Triassic Texas". 2012

ZoPteryx

Those are spectacular Pixelboy! :o  They're all really great, but my favorites would have to be the Irritator and Stegoceras ones.

Gwangi

Beautiful work, I also like the Stegoceras one as well as the Triassic Texas piece.

Patrx

Thanks for the kind words!  :D Perhaps I should put together more of these. The water in the Irritator comp bugs me, I never could get it to look quite right. I guess that's why they used on-set water splashes for Walking With Dinosaurs, hah.

I don't know if it turned out very visible in "Triassic", but I did give the Coelophysis a short covering of fuzz  8)

Jetoar

Amazing work friend. I like all yor CGI dinosaurs over all the last  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

rfdelgado

These are nice. Might wanna think how you can manipulate the values in photoshop a little so the dinos sit in the scene clearer, but really cool stuff.

Patrx

Quote from: rfdelgado on November 28, 2012, 10:08:51 PM
These are nice. Might wanna think how you can manipulate the values in photoshop a little so the dinos sit in the scene clearer, but really cool stuff.

Thanks, glad you think so! I've been refining my color matching techniques of late - taking a little more time working on the levels in Photoshop should help  :D

John

Good work on these! :)
That Coelophysis does not stand a chance in that scene.... ;)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not bad at all bud. Your Irritator scene looks a lot like an actual photo even the blurry-ness looks right.

Gryphoceratops

Awesome work!  My favorite is also the Triassic one.  Did you use a bearded dragon for the lizard?

tyrantqueen

You paid for the 3D models right, and took your own photos? I like the models a lot, but since you didn't make them (I presume) I can't give you credit you for them.
Still, these are really nice looking scenes. The velociraptor one is my fave, I think.

I've seen that Irritator model before, but it was labelled as a Suchomimus :-\

amargasaurus cazaui

Err so....is there a way to pretend that a few of us, or even just myself are perhaps extra dense and do not understand how these images were made? I think they are amazing. Can you discuss a little about how they are done, what is being mixed with what to create them? If its a some form of method secret or something no worries, but would be interested in hearing how you create the lifelike dinosaurs mixed with the backgrounds. Thanks !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 29, 2012, 03:25:31 AM
Err so....is there a way to pretend that a few of us, or even just myself are perhaps extra dense and do not understand how these images were made? I think they are amazing. Can you discuss a little about how they are done, what is being mixed with what to create them? If its a some form of method secret or something no worries, but would be interested in hearing how you create the lifelike dinosaurs mixed with the backgrounds. Thanks !!!
I think they were made with a 3D modelling programme, such as Maya or something similar. I don't think Pixelboy made these models himself, they are available to purchase in a pack from artists as "stock", seen here as an example http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-69878941/stock-photo-dinosaur-velociraptor-d-rendering-with-clipping-path-and-shadow-over-white.html
Then I think it would be a matter of using photoshop or image editing software to get them to blend in the photos.

I could be wrong of course.

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 29, 2012, 03:25:31 AM

Tyrantqueen has the basic idea spot-on :)

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 29, 2012, 03:46:54 AM
I think they were made with a 3D modelling programme, such as Maya or something similar. I don't think Pixelboy made these models himself, they are available to purchase in a pack from artists as "stock", seen here as an example http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-69878941/stock-photo-dinosaur-velociraptor-d-rendering-with-clipping-path-and-shadow-over-white.html
Then I think it would be a matter of using photoshop or image editing software to get them to blend in the photos.

Though the link there just leads to flat images, or renders, of the original 3D figures, which would be of little use to me. Paticularly because whoever rendered them doesn't appear to have tried very hard to make that little raptor look its best :o
The base models themselves are available for purchase from the modeller. I then edit the textures in Photoshop to achieve extra detail, or I can edit the settings in the 3D software along with my own set of textures to add in fuzz or change the patterns. Then it's a matter of posing the animals, changing their shape a bit (like Irritator's more arched skull in comparison to Suchomimus'), matching the camera perspetive, and matching the lighting. Once I have the dinosaurs rendered as ordinary, flat images, I use either Photoshop or After Effects to match them up with the background photos and add details like lens distortion, water, dust, shadows, reflections, motion blur, etc. That process is called compositing, and it's my favorite part of the effects process.  :D I do animate on occasion, but that's been a tough learning curve to climb. Without real physics to work with, I find it even more laborious than stop-motion  :o

Frustratingly, I can't find the real name of the artist who modeled these dinosaurs - but he goes by the name "DinoRaul" in most places. His library of prehistoric models grows by the week, though lately he's been sculpting ancient plants. I certainly hope I didn't give the impression that I meant to take credit for modelling them all on my own  ???

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on November 28, 2012, 11:51:21 PM
Awesome work!  My favorite is also the Triassic one.  Did you use a bearded dragon for the lizard?

Actually, no - although I used to have a beardie and I must say they are excellent. Very easygoing, for a lizard. The one in the photo's identity eludes me - the local zoo has this massive, dome-shaped desert exhibit and there are lizards all over the place; it's tough to remember what's what, hah.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 28, 2012, 11:19:36 PM
Not bad at all bud. Your Irritator scene looks a lot like an actual photo even the blurry-ness looks right.

Thanks! I went back and tweaked that blur effect over and over, and I still think it looks a little too precise - but I'm glad to know it plays like the real thing to the eyes of an observer :)

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 29, 2012, 02:20:02 AM
Still, these are really nice looking scenes. The velociraptor one is my fave, I think.

Thanks! I like the overall effect myself, but if I did it again I'd find a way to correct the wings, add more fuzz, and make that tongue look a little more detailed and specular - it kinda has the texture of a rubber eraser at this point  :P

rfdelgado

I would brighten the eye of the stegoceras on the right a weeeee bit, to lead us there easier. Or at least older knuckleheads like me.

Patrx

Quote from: rfdelgado on November 29, 2012, 05:56:59 PM
I would brighten the eye of the stegoceras on the right a weeeee bit, to lead us there easier. Or at least older knuckleheads like me.

Good call, I think :) I admit, the composition of that image was more instinctive than deliberate, if that makes any sense.

rfdelgado

Squint your eyes and see each composition as a series of layer and assign a value of grey to each layer. Think of the classic Disney 'pool of light'.

Yet my stuff usually sucks, so maybe you should ignore my stupid advice.

Takama

Quote from: rfdelgado on November 29, 2012, 09:49:39 PM
Squint your eyes and see each composition as a series of layer and assign a value of grey to each layer. Think of the classic Disney 'pool of light'.

Yet my stuff usually sucks, so maybe you should ignore my stupid advice.

You know, The more you say that your work sucks, the more likely people are to buy it to see what the fuss is about.   

You have me very close to ordering your age of Reptiles Book, which from what i seen in the preview pages on Amazon, dosent suck ;).

rfdelgado

Takama,

Google Douglas Henderson and see what real paleoart is. I'm just a shmo comic book guy.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rfdelgado on November 29, 2012, 11:36:09 PM
Takama,

Google Douglas Henderson and see what real paleoart is. I'm just a shmo comic book guy.

..and creative artist..not to mention a great story teller. ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.