News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

POLL: What are your favorite toy companies?

Started by Seijun, March 18, 2012, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite dinosaur toy companies?

Wild Safari
Carnegie
Collecta
Papo
Schleich
Bullyland
Kinto Favorite
Mojo
Battat
Invicta
Toyway (WWD & NHM)
Kaiyodo
Colorata
Sega
Kenner/Hasbro (JP)
Tyco (Dino Riders)
Playskool
Starlux
Marx
Other (specify in comments)

Seijun

UPDATE: You may now vote for as many of these as you wish, but pleas try to show some restraint and only pick your top favs.  ;) In order to re-vote, you must first cancel your old vote by clicking "remove vote".

I tried to include all the major companies, I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Also, please keep the discussions civil. This thread is for opinions, not arguments.

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Gwangi

I voted for Kaiyodo, Carnegie and Papo. All three for either detail or accuracy, mostly detail for Papo. Difficult to choose though as I love so many of those companies.

ZoPteryx

I had to vote for the top three.  Safari for their variety and increasing accuarcy, Carnegie for their detail and accuracy, and CollectA for their huge selection and rapidly increasing quality.

Runners-up were Bullyland and the WWD figures.  I can't speak for Kaiyodo having never owned any, but they'd probably be a runner-up too. ;)

tyrantqueen

1. Favorite
2. Papo
3. Carnegie
I like CollectA too, for their diversity and improving sculpt quality, but I hope they (and think they should) keep striving for improvement.

QuoteInvicta are no. 1 for me.
Since we're sharing our views, why do so many people like Invicta? I personally don't like them at all. Even as retro figures, they don't do anything for me. I guess it's probably the monochrome colour scheme and the sculpt style. I hate the Invicta Baryonyx, sorry :x

Don't kill me (I know there are many Invicta fans on the board). It's kind of what makes dinosaur collecting so fun, the fact that one person may hate one figure, but another will love it.  :)

Tylosaurus

Well I voted The following in the following order:

1: Dino-Riders
2: Safari
3: Papo

Dino-Riders is my numero uno it's what really got me in to Dinosaurs, but also mixing them with futuristic weapons and amour, it was a very unique, but original concept, that made it a major success overall.
Also that I grew up with them during my childhood and they always remained that great memory from those days.

Safari & Papo placed 2nd & 3rd are they are my big favs when it comes to realistic models and collectables, however I also wanted to add Carnegie also as a 4th choice, but yeah since we are only aloud to vote a minor 3 haha there ya go then  8)

My Tylosaurus is from Safari and it's probably one of the most detailed Tylo's I found from that scale.

brontodocus

Invicta, Kaiyodo & Safari (in no specific order).

Invicta was the first and probably most consistent museum line. However outdated some of them may be now, they reflected the scientific consensus of dinosaur restorations rather than the fierce, monstrous look most toy companies may have preferred ad that time (and often still do now but all Invictas have their mouths shut). Furthermore, some of them are based on larger models housed in the NHM, e.g. Triceratops:

They were also among the very few ones of which most models are really approximately made to the scale that's printed on their belly, with only a few exceptions. I never believe the scale a company gives and re-checked almost every figure I own (and not by simply measuring length in a direct line, that wouldn't lead to a comparable result) and Invicta still puts most current companies to shame regarding their given scale. The Baryonyx was made in 1989, three years after its description but prior to a comprehensive study on its osteology so it looks different from how Baryonyx is reconstructed now, for sure, but it has been believed to be at least facultatively quadrupedal back then.
Kaiyodo is perhaps the best of the Japanese lines and there's even more than just the Dinotales (even if these are probably the most important dinosaur toy series by Kaiyodo). Safari Ltd. because I still think they have the best potential among the major toy companies.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on March 19, 2012, 03:06:49 PM
Invicta, Kaiyodo & Safari (in no specific order).

Invicta was the first and probably most consistent museum line. However outdated some of them may be now, they reflected the scientific consensus of dinosaur restorations rather than the fierce, monstrous look most toy companies may have preferred ad that time (and often still do now but all Invictas have their mouths shut). Furthermore, some of them are based on larger models housed in the NHM, e.g. Triceratops:

They were also among the very few ones of which most models are really approximately made to the scale that's printed on their belly, with only a few exceptions. I never believe the scale a company gives and re-checked almost every figure I own (and not by simply measuring length in a direct line, that wouldn't lead to a comparable result) and Invicta still puts most current companies to shame regarding their given scale. The Baryonyx was made in 1989, three years after its description but prior to a comprehensive study on its osteology so it looks different from how Baryonyx is reconstructed now, for sure, but it has been believed to be at least facultatively quadrupedal back then.
Kaiyodo is perhaps the best of the Japanese lines and there's even more than just the Dinotales (even if these are probably the most important dinosaur toy series by Kaiyodo). Safari Ltd. because I still think they have the best potential among the major toy companies.
I would have liked Invicta a lot more if the models had looked a bit like the picture in your post. I don't like the overly shiny, smooth plastic, and the lack of a paintjob.
QuoteThe Baryonyx was made in 1989, three years after its description but prior to a comprehensive study on its osteology so it looks different from how Baryonyx is reconstructed now, for sure, but it has been believed to be at least facultatively quadrupedal back then.
I don't really have a problem with how accurate or inaccurate the toys are. I love retro reconstructions ;D  There is something about the Baryonyx sculpt I just don't like. Like the stubby feet, and the fish foot.

Speaking of which, I've just noticed the fish looks a bit...rude

CAN'T UNSEE   :o

But, hey, I can agree to disagree  :) I don't mean to offend any Invicta lovers, I just have my own preferences.

Tylosaurus

@ Tyrantqueen  .. rofl!

I have that one too but then with a yellow green paint scheme added to it hmm I'll make a pic of mine and I hope it's less rude rofl

brontodocus

Lol! ;D But you do know that that structure is caused by the opercula and will be visible in most osteichthyans? :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Tylosaurus

Well I do, so by taking it by a different angle like so for instance:

It's less disturbing? lol? hmm? lol? :D :D :D Whaaaaa Zaaaaaaaa

Brachiosaurus

Wildheart

Horridus

The Invicta Baryonyx is very outdated, yes. Unfortunately, every other Baryonyx toy since has been far worse!

And, ooh, I don't like these polls. But I guess I'll vote...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Tylosaurus

The Invicta Baryonyx is by far the best Baryonyx sculpture I seen so far, even that I never liked the newer ones much, heh

Gwangi

Quote from: brontodocus on March 19, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
Lol! ;D But you do know that that structure is caused by the opercula and will be visible in most osteichthyans? :)

I was going to point that out myself. I don't have the Invicta Baryonyx but I must say it is the best figure I've seen of one to date. That is saying something for such an old and outdated model.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Horridus on March 19, 2012, 07:26:05 PM
....... ooh, I don't like these polls. But I guess I'll vote...
I never liked them as well, but this time it's the first time all important toy figure companies are involved :).

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 19, 2012, 07:44:48 PM
The Invicta Baryonyx is by far the best Baryonyx sculpture I seen so far, even that I never liked the newer ones much, heh
??? ???  http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,90.0.html
There are several beautiful Baryonyx sculptures, just not on the rubber toy market.

I voted for Battat, Invicta and Kaiyodo (close to you, Seijun ;)).
Battat & Invicta because they're little pieces of art and because they were the only two companies that tried to keep all species in scale throughout the entire line. BTW: The Invicta Dimetrodon is still the best in the Dinosaur Toy World. The same applies to the Battat Gallimimus for example.
Kaiyodo doesn't have to be explained ;D. I've been hunting the Dinoland series and resin museum figures even more intensely than the Dinotales.

If I have had more votes I would have voted for Safari, Carnegie (which is also Safari to me), Collecta, Papo, Favorite & Colorata as well, 'cause I love them all :).

Himmapaan

I think I'm just going to go with you on those, Helge, instead of voting.  ;D

DinoToyForum

After Invicta, I voted for Kaiyodo and Bullyland for my other choices. I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for Bullyland  :'(

Horridus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 19, 2012, 09:18:10 PM
After Invicta, I voted for Kaiyodo and Bullyland for my other choices. I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for Bullyland  :'(
They make some good stuff, but often tinged by bad production values - like the Velociraptor. It's great that they made a feathered one (FINALLY someone makes a proper feathered Velociraptor that's a good size!) but it feels a bit cheap. Especially the fugly head.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.