News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mb-cg

I have made some fixes in the model and test a new pose (I think I will need a predator for the Stego):

Quote from: Patrx on April 06, 2013, 08:10:00 PM
Great work on the Stego! I like the scales on the front legs. You may want to tweak the hands a bit, however, as it seems stegosaur hands were more vertical - a lot like sauropod hands.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2010/11/stegosaurs-walked-like-sauropods/

http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app55/app20091105.pdf

I'm not sure what this indicates as far as claws/nails, however.
Quote from: wings on April 07, 2013, 09:20:13 AM
...however, as it seems stegosaur hands were more vertical - a lot like sauropod hands...

But the hand bones (metacarpals) are very vertical in mb-cg reconstructions (see diagram below):

What Senter's paper was referring to are the hand bones (metacarpals) being vertical like the sauropods (http://svpow.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/lourina_sauropod_right_manus.jpg?w=480) but the actual fingers/digits/phalanges could still be in an angle. The part that indicate metacarpals on mg-cg's Stegosaurus are sitting quite upright. The problem is the length or robustness of these fingers. As you will find from the handprint diagrams above you will find that the last three fingers (there are five altogether) are encased in a fleshy pad (since they are not well defined) and the first two fingers are more pronounced. The first digit sets slightly higher than the other digits so there must be something underneath it to produce an impression, the last phalange on the first finger is also ungual-like as well;  perhaps it has a hoof or at least a fleshy pad. The second digit doesn't seem to be complete so it is hard to confirm whether it also has a ungual-like finger tip... (maybe it was preserved but never figured anywhere, or I just couldn't find it) since this digit also produce similar prints (see above) to the first digit; it is likely that the second digit is similar to the first. Also to be noted is that it shouldn't have a palm pad.

Another quick fix would be the upper leg retractor (m. caudofemoralis longus, CFL) from the tail (see figure 4-4, http://palaeo-electronica.org/2011_2/255/fig_4.htm, and http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/files/2012/05/osteolaemus-14-cfl-extracted-May-2012-600-px-tiny.jpg); it should not be too well defined because it was enveloped by the tail muscle (m. ischiocaudalis, ISCAUD and  m. iliocaudalis, ILCAUD). As you'll see from these examples (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Australian_freshwater_crocodile_%28Crocodylus_johnstoni%29_%282863782849%29.jpg/1024px-Australian_freshwater_crocodile_%28Crocodylus_johnstoni%29_%282863782849%29.jpg, http://whatsinjohnsfreezer.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/crocrom.jpg, http://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/Images/16562/IMS%201%20hand_big.jpg and http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/nature/files/2008/09/610_supersize_rom.jpg), this muscle is certainly not too visible.

Thanks for your help!

Quote from: Joel on April 07, 2013, 08:03:33 AM
Hi mb-cg, welcome back! Great job on the poster! ^-^

Your Stegosaurus is fantastic, like all of your work! I can't wait  to get him.

Thank you Joel :D

Quote from: jtn144 on April 07, 2013, 01:02:05 PM
Nice work on the Stegosaurus! In both 1/72 & 1/40 I hope?

I will do first 1/40 versions and then maybe 1/72, cause I will need to fix some parts that would be too thin.

Patrx

...however, as it seems stegosaur hands were more vertical - a lot like sauropod hands...

But the hand bones (metacarpals) are very vertical in mb-cg reconstructions.

You're right! I think it was the palm pads that were troubling me, the new version's looking quite nice.

Quote from: mb-cg on April 09, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
(I think I will need a predator for the Stego)

I can already hear Blade clamoring for an Allo  :))

tyrantqueen

QuoteI have made some fixes in the model and test a new pose (I think I will need a predator for the Stego):
I'd like to see something less common, maybe a Torvosaurus? Or a Ceratosaurus would be nice too, I was really disappointed with Safari's recent offering (with its big goofy clown feet and the over use of texture stamping)

Nothing against Allosaurus, but I would like a less common theropod than usual :)

amargasaurus cazaui

I appreciate the creating of the Yinlong and your making it availible to me .It truly is a unique piece in the pantheon of dinosaur figures, and perhaps the only true basal ceratopsian I have seen offered. At the risk of being shouted down for offering another idea or suggestion, I would make the one suggestion, perhaps when all other requests have been met and there is free time to work with.
  I think a  1/2 0r 1/4  scale model of Pegomastax Africana would be a very unique dinosaur. Considering its age at almost 200 million years old, early Jurassic and rather unique fangs and beak , and very likely quills. Fascinating creature, and might be worth a thought, thanks
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Joel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 09, 2013, 07:55:18 PM
QuoteI have made some fixes in the model and test a new pose (I think I will need a predator for the Stego):
I'd like to see something less common, maybe a Torvosaurus? Or a Ceratosaurus would be nice too, I was really disappointed with Safari's recent offering (with its big goofy clown feet and the over use of texture stamping)

Nothing against Allosaurus, but I would like a less common theropod than usual :)
Why not all three?  ;) He can start with Torvosaurus, then Ceratosaurus, and finally Allosaurus (maybe even two species of Allosaurus, like fragilis and atrox) ;D. Either way, I know we're going to love it!

SBell

Quote from: Joel on April 09, 2013, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 09, 2013, 07:55:18 PM

Why not all three?  ;) He can start with Torvosaurus, then Ceratosaurus, and finally Allosaurus (maybe even two species of Allosaurus, like fragilis and atrox) ;D. Either way, I know we're going to love it!

Or Saurophanganax! Then it might be a 2nd allosaurus, or it might be it's own genus, but either way, extra species!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on April 09, 2013, 07:16:24 PM

You're right! I think it was the palm pads that were troubling me, the new version's looking quite nice.

heh heh..darn I've become predictable ! lol

Yep, if you make one I'll have to buy it..easy as that. :)  Do multiple poses and I'll finally have a 1:40 Allosaurus pack as well ;) ......and of course I still want a little 1:1 Hatchling Allosaurus..if possible at all.   ^-^

I do think a Torvo would be good as well ( we all want to recreate the Dinosaur Revolution scene right ?  )

Ceratosaurus ? Why not.  My Allosaurs need some more primitive theropods to pick on.. ;D lol

amargasaurus cazaui

Thought I would post this little guy here. Artist for the base and paint is Martin Garrat. When I ordered the piece, in high frosted detail it was sent with a broken and missing tail tip which Martin fixed.

Gorgeous little dinosaur and so so rare ....wish we had more basal animals to choose from.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mb-cg

Finally I could upload both versions to Shapeways: walking and defending poses.

The next dinosaur I think will be one of the ones that have been mentioned, now comes the fun part to decide wich one  :D

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 13, 2013, 03:10:51 AM
Thought I would post this little guy here. Artist for the base and paint is Martin Garrat. When I ordered the piece, in high frosted detail it was sent with a broken and missing tail tip which Martin fixed.

Gorgeous little dinosaur and so so rare ....wish we had more basal animals to choose from.

Thanks you, Martin did a wonderful job with the Yinlong  :D

tyrantqueen

I liked the Stegos a lot, but I only wish they were on the larger size...about the size of the Bullyland Stego. Could I commission you for a private sale for the defending stego in 1/30 scale? :)

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 10, 2013, 01:29:37 AM

Yep, if you make one I'll have to buy it..easy as that. :)  Do multiple poses and I'll finally have a 1:40 Allosaurus pack as well ;) ......and of course I still want a little 1:1 Hatchling Allosaurus..if possible at all.   ^-^

I do think a Torvo would be good as well ( we all want to recreate the Dinosaur Revolution scene right ?  )

Ceratosaurus ? Why not.  My Allosaurs need some more primitive theropods to pick on.. ;D lol
Just for Blade,how about doing a Ceratosaurus with a mangled baby Allosaurus in it's mouth! >:D
Seriously though,one can never have too many of the Late Jurassic Morrison theropods. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on April 20, 2013, 04:13:27 AM

Just for Blade,how about doing a Ceratosaurus with a mangled baby Allosaurus in it's mouth! >:D
Seriously though,one can never have too many of the Late Jurassic Morrison theropods. :)

I'd hate to boycott all his new pieces though..   >:D lol

If we get an adult Allosaurus then feel free to make a baby Allo getting eaten by a Ceratosaur..would make an interesting diorama with a story to it..ala Delgado's  Age of Reptiles : The Hunt .

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 20, 2013, 05:50:51 AM
Quote from: John on April 20, 2013, 04:13:27 AM

I'd hate to boycott all his new pieces though..   >:D lol

If we get an adult Allosaurus then feel free to make a baby Allo getting eaten by a Ceratosaur..would make an interesting diorama with a story to it..ala Delgado's  Age of Reptiles : The Hunt .
For Allosaurus,I would have to say I would prefer A. fragilis.
A baby Allosaurus getting eaten by an adult of it OWN species would be even more vicious...Imagine a mob of Allosaurus that had been attracted by the smell of a Camarasaurus carcass,biting at each other when they get in each other's way where a young one gets too close to one of the adults trying to dart in to get a piece of meat,it gets snapped up and eaten itself in the frenzy...
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

The back story for the Sideshow Allo VS Camara involved cannibalism..the mother get's crushed by the bulk of the Camara when it goes down..the male mourns for about a second then he and the chicks start eating both.

The Digging Dutchman

At the beginning of this post Manuel asked for any suggestions, well I have some.
When i was looking at all the shapeways dinosaurs, I noticed that a lot of them are to be found in the Oldman Formation;
Brachylophosaurus, Coronosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Gryposaurus and Parasaurolophus.

So I thought, why not complete this formation's dinosaurs so one can make a huge diorama of this fauna?
The other dinosaurs that lived in this formation where:
Albertaceratops, Anchiceratops, Corythosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Hesperonychus, Paronychodon, Ricardoestesia, Saurornitholestes, Troodon and (no dinosaur) Champsosaurus.
I know Troodon and Champsosaurus are already on shapeways, but not in 1:72, which is the scale I work with.

I hope you guys like this idea,
Greetings,
Sander

postsaurischian

:) Two 1:40 Hadrosaurs - Olorotitan & Parasaurolophus - painted by Martin Garratt

postsaurischian

:) Three 1:40 Ceratopsians - Pentaceratops, Chasmosaurus belli & Centrosaurus - painted by Martin Garratt

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very nicely done..I think maybe I feel a splurge coming on..lol

tyrantqueen

mb-cg

Hello, finally I could find some time to start a new dinosaur, the Yangchuanosaurus. It's just the base mesh and I hope I can detail it soon :D

postsaurischian> Thanks for sharing the photos, it's a pleasure to see the Martin Garrat work on the figures  :D

Quote from: The Digging Dutchman on May 07, 2013, 05:30:29 PM
At the beginning of this post Manuel asked for any suggestions, well I have some.
When i was looking at all the shapeways dinosaurs, I noticed that a lot of them are to be found in the Oldman Formation;
Brachylophosaurus, Coronosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Gryposaurus and Parasaurolophus.

So I thought, why not complete this formation's dinosaurs so one can make a huge diorama of this fauna?
The other dinosaurs that lived in this formation where:
Albertaceratops, Anchiceratops, Corythosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Hesperonychus, Paronychodon, Ricardoestesia, Saurornitholestes, Troodon and (no dinosaur) Champsosaurus.
I know Troodon and Champsosaurus are already on shapeways, but not in 1:72, which is the scale I work with.

I hope you guys like this idea,
Greetings,
Sander

Thanks for the suggestions. The Champsosaurus would be very fragile in 1:72, bu there is already a 1:72 Troodon: http://www.shapeways.com/model/877352/herrerasaurus-1-72.html

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.