News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fascinating "ANIMAL QUEST" Walgreens Knockoffs

Started by allimancer, October 19, 2023, 02:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allimancer

Hi all! I'm fairly new to the forum and I hope posting about knockoffs is allowed.

I thought y'all might be as fascinated by these knockoffs/recasts my local (Chicago, IL, USA) Walgreens started carrying as I am.

I snapped a couple of quick images before I started getting weird looks in the store, but in this humble bin, labelled only as "Animal Quest," I found knockoff/recasts of what I believe to be:

• the classic Papo T-rex
  • Papo Dimetrodon
  • Schleich Spinosaurus (2015 World of History)
  • Schleich Triceratops (2018 Conquering the Earth)
  • Schleich Parasaurolophus (2007?)
  • Schleich Stegosaurus (2012 World of History)
  • Schleich Acrocanthosaurus (2017 Conquering the Earth)
  • REBOR "Y-Rex" Yutyrannus
  • one of Schleich's fantasy ice wolves?

They were priced at $7.99. I didn't buy any (the only one I considered for repainting was the triceratops, but the real Schleich is not that much more, and I'd rather support the original manufacturers).

Even the paint schemes are pretty close, though the quality is definitely lacking in the application (thicker layers, less detail, sloppy eyes and teeth). The REBOR sculpt was a surprise, and it drove me crazy trying to figure out what I recognized the sculpt from. I haven't been able to find anything else about this "Animal Quest" line except for listings for several zoo gift stores across the US, though these are all tubes and multipacks of modern zoo animals. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has encountered this brand. I was surprised to see such blatant rip-offs, though maybe Walgreens isn't known for its high quality dinosaur figurines.

Images below:

Halichoeres

Huh, I'm also in Chicago, but the Walgreens by me doesn't have these. Not that I mind, it's not like I'm trying to buy them!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shane

If I'm not mistaken, upper left-ish in the first picture seems to be a knockoff of the Safari American Mastodon.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.