News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Misc. Business/Flotsam and Jetsom

Started by dinonikes, March 19, 2012, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

This thread will be for any comments, suggestions for future models, and any other postings not pertaining to specific topics in my other threads. I will be setting up threads for any models from the old forum that were currently incomplete to keep continuity with future completed photos, the threads dealing with the completed pieces will remain over in the archive forum.
I plan on making Version 2 models for some of the earlier models that I will then retire-for instance the 1/40 T.rex has a new 1/40 Version2 completed, and the first version will now be retired. These newer pieces will bring more details to the models than I had done in the first ones which were done in a more loose toy style.

Patrx

Can't wait to see the next models you come up with! Maybe you could list some of the new model suggestions people have made so far here in this thread? That might be a good way to get some feedback about what ideas are most popular ;D

dinonikes

Well if you go to the archive forum you can find the original three lists of dinos and other prehistoric animals that were originally agreed on back in 2008 when I started these 1/40 figures in my Oiriginal Toy Line Questions thread(not sure exactly which page they were posted on, but they are near the front of the thread). I will try to repost them here for future reference. I have to admit that I have drifted away from those lists to some degree- but do look back at them for ideas of what to do next. I also have had newer suggestions from collectors who werent around back in 2008 to give their input.I also have to say that those collectors who have bought almost every model I have made get a heavy say in what is coming up-just fair, as they are so commited to the line.
Also, I have a few of the earlier pieces that had their molds damaged while in storage, and those will be replaced by new versions so I can put more into them-for example I started a new version 1/40 Acrocanthosaurus which will be in the same pose as the old one but will be much more cooler.

dinonikes

I found the original lists of proposed figures that were decided on back in 2008-if you havent read that original Toy Line Questions thread on the archive forum, you should, it is interesting. I compiled these lists after taking suggestions from members at the time- those that were the most popular made the lists. At the time that these three lists were proposed the plan was to make three 1/40 scale playsets that would include the models listed-I had wanted to issue the sets in boxes sort of like the old Marx playsets. There was also planned accessory pieces like those old sets had too- there were three sets planned- one for dinos, one for mammals, and one for marine reptiles and amphibians-I did not issue these as sets- went with the simpler and much more practical option to just issue these figures as separate pieces.The smaller species were planned on being made in a larger scale-

Here is the list that of 1/40 models that was decided for the Dinosaur Playset- I marked with an X those pieces that were ultimately issued or have been started-
1)T-Rex  X
2)Triceratops
3)Stegosaurus
4)Brachiosaur
5)Alamosaurus
6)Parasaurolophus X
7)Gigantaosaurus
8)Tsintaosaurus
9) Allosaurus X
10)Anatotitan
11)Carnotaurus
12)Styracosaurus
13)Irritator
14)Utahraptor
15)Yangchuanosaurus X
16)Ankylosaurus
17)Gallimimus
18)Dilophosaurus X
19)Kentrosaurus
20) Quaetzalcoatlus X

Accessory pieces-
- Three piece rock outcropping- will come apart into pieces with flat areas to display dinos on
-Smaller separate rocks
-Trees
-Cycads and ferns- small clumps
-Carcass- two types of duckbills Parasaurolophus and Anatotitan

Here is the list for the Prehistoric Animals Playset Vol. 1-

1)Platybeledon
2)Megatherium
3)Doedicurus
4)Eusmilus
5)Arsinoitherium
6)Eobasileus
7)Andrewsarchus
8)Macrauchenia
9)Embolotherium
10) Moropus X
11)Indricotherium X
12)Dinohyus X
13) Synthetoceras
14)Coelodonta
15)Diatryma
16)Phorusrhacus

Accessories-

-Tar Pit-- this will be a tar pit with a mammoth more than halfway down in the tar with the tar stringing off its tusks- will have a plug in tree with vultures on its branches
-Rock formation with cave
-Band of Neanderthals with campfire
-Separate smaller rocks
-Trees
-Small plant clumps

Prehistoric Animals Playset Vol.2

1)Eryops
2)Placerias
3)Ophthalmosaurus X
4)Dimetrodon
5)Sarcosuchus
6)Moschops X
7)Sphenacodon
8)Ichthyostega
9)Cacops
10)Eusthenopteron
11)Dunkleosteus
12)Stethacanthus
13)Xenacanthus
14)Hemicyclaspis
15)Mosasaur X
16)Muraenosaurus X
17)Meganeura
18)Trilobite
19)Cephalapod
20)Phytosaur

Accessories-
-Underwater reef type rock formation
-Swamp- this will be a clear plastic water piece with tree stumps and fallen logs
-trees
-small clumps of plants
-small rocks

SBell

Looking at this Malcolm--I think many of us are eager to see you get to work!  Unless you find something better to do first  ;)

dinonikes

Yeah Sean, I think you would be pleased to see something I worked on over the weekend-

I should stress that these lists were from 2008, things have changed and developed since then- although I will end up making models of a lot of these on the lists in the coming years(hopefully fate wil be kind to allow this), many will not be done I am afraid. Some due to the size of the specie, and those that would be better done or have been done by me life size-Bothriolepsis is an example. I am now just using these lists as suggestions- the group of members that participated to the original list in 2008 is broken up- many no longer post here. I now keep a list that fluctuates with time and demands.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hey there are a few of us still around bud.. ;)

I still want a Baryony and Irritator along with the Sucho and Spino..all in 1/40 will be great to display together.

I am interested to see how a Giganotosaurus would turn out as well..maybe add his African cousin the Charcharodontosaurus to it as well ? ;)

John

I would love to see your take on Styracosaurus albertensis. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Lady medusa

A utahraptor would be awesome!! Ive been wanting one for a long time! And might i suggest have it leaping through the air ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 26, 2012, 12:26:53 AM
A utahraptor would be awesome!! Ive been wanting one for a long time! And might i suggest have it leaping through the air ;)

A Utahraptor would be cool..but it's size might be an issue I think. It would smaller than the Dilo at 1/40. Now if it were made into a larger model or even just up the scale to make the figure it would be fine.

DinoLord

You should do a Barosaurus vs. Allosaurus piece based on the mount at AMNH. Maybe you could even work out a deal with the museum to have them sell it at their gift shop or something.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on March 26, 2012, 01:24:56 AM
You should do a Barosaurus vs. Allosaurus piece based on the mount at AMNH. Maybe you could even work out a deal with the museum to have them sell it at their gift shop or something.

I have to second this idea... ;D

stoneage

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 26, 2012, 01:15:02 AM

A Utahraptor would be cool..but it's size might be an issue I think. It would smaller than the Dilo at 1/40. Now if it were made into a larger model or even just up the scale to make the figure it would be fine.

Actually their both about the same size.  Dilophosaurus was about 20 feet long and a Utahraptor specimen has been found that is 23 feet long.  Both are thought to weigh about 1,000 pounds.  There is even a specimen that hasn't been confirmed for Utahraptor that is suppose to be 36 feet long.  Are you sure you weren't thinking about Deinonychus?

Patrx

The Barosaurus/Allosaurus idea would be pretty awesome, I like the idea of a diorama-type piece with multiple animals. However, (and maybe this is just me) I think there are plenty of big, scaly theropods in the line and in the works, and I'd personally be more interested in some deviation from that. What about a series of smaller animals at a larger scale - like, maybe Compsognathus, Eoraptor, Archaeopteryx, Velociraptor, Laelleynosaura, Othneliasaurus, etc? Oh, and I wholeheartedly support the idea of a Utahraptor sculpt, too, provided the feathers are present and correct. ;)

stoneage

Quote from: Pixelboy on March 26, 2012, 03:09:08 AM
The Barosaurus/Allosaurus idea would be pretty awesome, I like the idea of a diorama-type piece with multiple animals. However, (and maybe this is just me) I think there are plenty of big, scaly theropods in the line and in the works, and I'd personally be more interested in some deviation from that. What about a series of smaller animals at a larger scale - like, maybe Compsognathus, Eoraptor, Archaeopteryx, Velociraptor, Laelleynosaura, Othneliasaurus, etc? Oh, and I wholeheartedly support the idea of a Utahraptor sculpt, too, provided the feathers are present and correct. ;)

Feathers have never been found in association with Utahraptor specimens.  So how could anyone know accurately how they looked!  It would all be quess work at best.  I really don't think Malcolm is interested in doing feathered dinosaurs.

Takama

Concavenator

Dracorex

a Dromeosaur with mange like illness (so you wont have to worry about feathers)

and your very own human figure, for size comparison.

Patrx

Quote from: stoneage on March 26, 2012, 03:28:46 AMI really don't think Malcolm is interested in doing feathered dinosaurs.

Aw, that's unfortunate, those are some of my favorite kinds, and they're distressingly rare in model form. Plus, I bet they'd turn out really well if he did sculpt a few. Of course, he's welcome to sculpt what he likes, and I'll just buy the ones I enjoy most. :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stoneage on March 26, 2012, 03:08:24 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 26, 2012, 01:15:02 AM

Actually their both about the same size.  Dilophosaurus was about 20 feet long and a Utahraptor specimen has been found that is 23 feet long.  Both are thought to weigh about 1,000 pounds.  There is even a specimen that hasn't been confirmed for Utahraptor that is suppose to be 36 feet long.  Are you sure you weren't thinking about Deinonychus?

I was thinking of how they kept saying the JP Raptors were based on Utahraptor so figured they were 13-16' or so.

I would mind seeing a couple of those in 1/1 scale .. ;) ;D

Quote from: stoneage on March 26, 2012, 03:28:46 AM

Feathers have never been found in association with Utahraptor specimens.  So how could anyone know accurately how they looked!  It would all be quess work at best.  I really don't think Malcolm is interested in doing feathered dinosaurs.

I don't think Malcolm has mentioned not wanting to do feathers that I recall. Just larger / popular species to tackle first.

dinonikes

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 26, 2012, 02:42:35 AM

Eh, I dont know- Galileo already did that- he has a kit of that scene available- I would rather do somethingthat isnt so alike to what others have done-plus I am already making allosaurus on carcass based on the AMNH mount which will be part of a pack 'diorama piece' which will be separate models that will go together to make a pack scene, or just as individual pieces if desired.-- I was sort of thinking that a tar pit diorama might be cool- there is a real nice painting I think by Knight done for the Los Angeles museum that shows that sort of thing-

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinonikes on March 26, 2012, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 26, 2012, 02:42:35 AM

Eh, I dont know- Galileo already did that- he has a kit of that scene available- I would rather do somethingthat isnt so alike to what others have done-plus I am already making allosaurus on carcass based on the AMNH mount which will be part of a pack 'diorama piece' which will be separate models that will go together to make a pack scene, or just as individual pieces if desired.-- I was sort of thinking that a tar pit diorama might be cool- there is a real nice painting I think by Knight done for the Los Angeles museum that shows that sort of thing-

True..but his is a kit not a single cast model...kind of like is Safari made a toy version you know ?

Still it would be cool..maybe you could do an attacking / threatening Allosaurus as part of your diorama piece ?  Then just do a rearing sauropod to go along with it...Apatosaurus to go with your existing piece..a Dilpodocus ( Battat is still popular ;) ) or maybe a Brachiosaurus ? ( ala Jurassic Park ) ?

Those would all work for us  I bet . :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.