News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Misc. Business/Flotsam and Jetsom

Started by dinonikes, March 19, 2012, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: dinonikes on December 27, 2012, 01:00:55 AM
-Coelphysis bauri

Any chance of fuzz on that Coelophysis?    ;D Or any of the other theropods?

dinonikes

Quote from: Patrx on December 29, 2012, 01:05:18 AM
Quote from: dinonikes on December 27, 2012, 01:00:55 AM
-Coelphysis bauri

Any chance of fuzz on that Coelophysis?    ;D Or any of the other theropods?

Probably on the Coelphysis- it is going to be pretty small, 3 meters length is 3 inch length at 1/40 scale. I am taking on that one as a challenge to myself to see how small I can make these and still have details. My old school sculpting and casting methods are limiting as too those size issues, unlike say the Shapeways method which can make fairly small pieces with details.

Patrx

Ah, fantastic. It'll be neat to see how that one turns out :) 'Course, I wouldn't say no to one in a larger scale, either, hah. Coelophysis is a favorite of mine.

dinonikes

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2012, 02:50:52 AM
I don't see any pterosaurs aside form the discontinued ones..never did get those.. :/  No new marine reptiles either ? Always wanted a Nothosaurus..bigger than the Safari toob one anyway.

I guess I forgot to add those pieces that were retired that will be reissued in version 2- like the Ornithocheirus, Quetz, Tylo, Ophthalmosaurus. I will also probably make more marine animals, have had a lot of requests for Basilosaurus (not sure of spelling or if I got that name right offhand without looking it up- I mean that early whale).

Patrx

Quote from: dinonikes on December 29, 2012, 01:24:20 AM
I guess I forgot to add those pieces that were retired that will be reissued in version 2- like the Ornithocheirus, Quetz, Tylo, Ophthalmosaurus.

Cool! Do you think you'll include a tail fluke on the new Tylo?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't see any pterosaurs aside form the discontinued ones..never did get those.. :/  No new marine reptiles either ? Always wanted a Nothosaurus..bigger than the Safari toob one anyway.

I guess I forgot to add those pieces that were retired that will be reissued in version 2- like the Ornithocheirus, Quetz, Tylo, Ophthalmosaurus. I will also probably make more marine animals, have had a lot of requests for Basilosaurus (not sure of spelling or if I got that name right offhand without looking it up- I mean that early whale).

Cool.  Yeah I'm kinda partial to Basilosaurus myself, seeing it one of the Dinamation animatronic exhibits years ago made an impression. :)

I understand wanting to see how small you can go. I reached my limit recently with that Rhamphorynchus I did..lol

dinonikes

Quote from: Patrx on December 29, 2012, 01:52:59 AM
I guess I forgot to add those pieces that were retired that will be reissued in version 2- like the Ornithocheirus, Quetz, Tylo, Ophthalmosaurus.

Cool! Do you think you'll include a tail fluke on the new Tylo?

Yes, I will update the Tylo V2 to reflect the latest thoughts regarding mosasaurs.

dinonikes

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2012, 01:54:48 AM

Cool.  Yeah I'm kinda partial to Basilosaurus myself, seeing it one of the Dinamation animatronic exhibits years ago made an impression. :)

I understand wanting to see how small you can go. I reached my limit recently with that Rhamphorynchus I did..lol

I myself always prefer to sculpt large pieces, as far as animals whether prehistoric or extant species, I always prefer to work in 1/1 life size scale. It was hard  for me to make these small figures when I first started making them 4 years ago, as I had pretty much spent 28 someodd years working on large sculptures in my museum exhibit career. It is a feeling I would imgine is akin to someone who drives a big semi getting into a small go-cart- strange to get used to the way different handling so to speak. I think that now I am very comfortable with these little guys and have a system down now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Same here. I like to " go big " with just about everything..but I love detail, that leads to issues as well..lol

I've built and painted miniatures and models even sculpted some smaller things..but man 3" inches is a crazy goal I wish you luck with that one ! heh

Judging by your past - current work I'd say you are certainly finding your center.  The future pieces look even better I think than the current ones I've ordered..lol  I can't wait til your able to turn that skill back to larger models.. perhaps that 1/15 Sucho I've been droning on about ?  ;D

dinonikes

I havent been here in quite a while, thoguht I should explain a bit (not on computer much as I dont have internet access or a computer at home and have to rely on library access). I had some medical and dental problems which wiped me out in more ways than one. I am trying now to recover from that time and get caught up, am very very very behind. I apologize for the extreme wait on orders pending. I can only say that almost without exception I am told once a collector gets his package that it was worth the wait. I hope those in line to get their packages will feel the same once they have them. All orders will be filled you can be assured.
I have been sort of discouraged and embarrassed that all of this has meant as far as customer service. I am trying to rectify this.
I also have been sort  of feeling  that my time is over in a way. When I started this back in 2008, there wasnt anyone else here offering custom 1/40 figures, now there are many. Shapeways has changed a lot since then and maybe I am now a dinosaur like the models I make. I have been thinnking I might change focus to extant mammals and such as I dont think that area is so rife with choices. I dont know I do like making prehistorics.

amargasaurus cazaui

Malcom I think we all hit a point sometimes where we worry are we revelent and doing the correct thing. I waited awhile for my models, yes, but I was content with them and I felt your apatosaurus was especially nice. I left you a positive for the pieces . I disagree, when you say your niche or place has been taken. Your models are resin, and priced very fairly. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence either, thats a grand illusion. Shapeways is selling models that are sometimes sent broken and they are having their share of issues themselves. My pieces from you came carefully boxed, and were painted nicely ready to display.
  Give yourself a chance. You will work through this and do well. Your models are important to the forum and its members. Just hang tough and believe in yourself, I think the forum members here have shown the support you and your work as well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Man, I'm sorry to hear your having so much trouble financially still bud, I think we can all relate to that.  I honestly hope you don't give up, I know you have some pieces I've been looking forward to getting still when they are available.

Honestly I don't think your old hat at all. It seems to me your trouble lies in getting the orders done. If there was some way to get them casted up quicker or something then have another person do the shipping. I wish you could get some more more help and expand the business a little bit . A web page would be nice with all the models listed, painted/unpainted , prices given, a paypal option there something to advertise yourself more..but you need help getting the product through the stages leading up to a finished piece. Doing it all on your own is ROUGH going bud.

There is also the fact there is getting to be so much good stuff out there it's hard to find money for it all for collectors. Maybe do limited editions of pieces and number them ? Then you can cast a set amount of them and then no more. Would increase the demand I think. 

Extant animals..there are a lot of companies making them..maybe not all species or such , like moray eels..I like em' and collect them but there only one or two out there.  The reason Dinosaurs and extinct animals flourish on Shapeways is because many of those offered weren't available before. The plethora of options..it's just crazy.  You do have a nice 1/40 range established though and that's something few can boast of..even Safari can't anymore. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinonikes on June 01, 2013, 08:39:21 PM
I havent been here in quite a while, thoguht I should explain a bit (not on computer much as I dont have internet access or a computer at home and have to rely on library access). I had some medical and dental problems which wiped me out in more ways than one. I am trying now to recover from that time and get caught up, am very very very behind. I apologize for the extreme wait on orders pending. I can only say that almost without exception I am told once a collector gets his package that it was worth the wait. I hope those in line to get their packages will feel the same once they have them. All orders will be filled you can be assured.
I have been sort of discouraged and embarrassed that all of this has meant as far as customer service. I am trying to rectify this.
I also have been sort  of feeling  that my time is over in a way. When I started this back in 2008, there wasnt anyone else here offering custom 1/40 figures, now there are many. Shapeways has changed a lot since then and maybe I am now a dinosaur like the models I make. I have been thinnking I might change focus to extant mammals and such as I dont think that area is so rife with choices. I dont know I do like making prehistorics.
People still buy and like your stuff, I think you're still relevant in the paleo art community.

SBell

Malcolm I've been waiting a while as some others have, but honestly it has always been worth the wait--your materials have a hand-made, personal feel to each piece; the hand casting you do makes each one even more precious. If you could get someone to do the mould and cast, it would certainly speed things up--but as it is, every model from you is a rare gem that few can boast about possessing. I don't have nearly enough (space+budget) but I would hate to see you give up.

But hey, if you're going to do extant animals, I am totally in favour of freshwater fishes! Just saying, they get quite ignored (other than trout and carp...there are so many other ones out there)..

radman

Quote from: SBell on June 02, 2013, 02:25:23 AM
Malcolm I've been waiting a while as some others have, but honestly it has always been worth the wait--your materials have a hand-made, personal feel to each piece; the hand casting you do makes each one even more precious. If you could get someone to do the mould and cast, it would certainly speed things up--but as it is, every model from you is a rare gem that few can boast about possessing. I don't have nearly enough (space+budget) but I would hate to see you give up.

Ditto, my sentiments exactly, as well as some others that have posted.  Love the Leedsichtys as well, what a beautiful accompaniment it would make to your other marine species.  Best of luck, wherever life may lead you next.

Simon

Hang in there Malcolm.  Your pieces are individual works of art and I treasure your collection over any other.  I would sooner part with my Battat collection than part with my Faunacasts.

The Leedisychtus is absolutely AWESOME painted up.  I would also encourage you not to give up on your unique artistic pursuit here.  Having someone else do the moulding and casting would indeed be a good idea to free you up to sculpt.

Takama

I will be sad to see you quit prehistorics.   Right when I was about to get a job to own one of your pieces.    You had it conveinent for me. As I can not use shapeways due to in ability to use pa pal. And you pieces were sent alredy finished at one low price compared to resin figures that I'm afraid to lay my hands on.      It hurts me.   But you do what you thinks best for you

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on June 02, 2013, 06:54:33 AM
I will be sad to see you quit prehistorics.   Right when I was about to get a job to own one of your pieces.    You had it conveinent for me. As I can not use shapeways due to in ability to use pa pal. And you pieces were sent alredy finished at one low price compared to resin figures that I'm afraid to lay my hands on.      It hurts me.   But you do what you thinks best for you

Malcolm didn't say he was quitting as of yet. If you want to own a piece from him I'm sure he would assist you.

Takama

I just try to get the right funding is the issue for me.   And also to chose the right piece.   I was kindo waiting for the yangchanosaurus to come out as well.    I would sacrifice my carnegi collection to sale if things come to it.

On the other hand.  If he starts modern animals he should make some birds. Since there dinos. 

ProSauropod

Malcolm - I've dealt with a lot of small and one-man businesses over the Internet, and hey - these things happen.  As long as you're OK I don't mind waiting however long things take; you have a talent and a skill that is worth the time.  I'm not interested in A model - I'm interested in YOUR model.  As my artistic ability runs to toothpicks and styrofoam balls it gives immense visceral pleasure to see your work.  Art first, business second :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.