News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Would a Spinosaurus really kill a T-Rex

Started by IHogaRok, January 01, 2013, 04:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHogaRok

In another thread someone mentioned the scene from Jurassic Park were a Spinosaurus killed a T-Rex. I was just wondering if anyone thinks a Spino would actually kill a T-Rex.

T-Rex may have been not as big, but had a much stronger bite force. When the T-Rex bit the Spinosaurus on the neck, it probably would have died. However the Spinosaurus had large arms which could claw the T-Rex before it got close enough to bite.

Does anyone have an opinion.  ::)

Blade-of-the-Moon

This is just asking for trouble I'm afraid..that scene sparked so many discussions which became arguments..if we can be civil here and discuss it fine..otherwise..be fore warned.. ;)

My personal opinion, given a  large environment and not being forced into it, neither would win because they wouldn't fight. There is just no reason for two big apex predators with different dietary needs to even fight.  There is nothing to gain so both would probably just avoid the other.  ;)

Takama

One thing Everyone who was brain washed by Jp3 should know is that Spinosaurus Preferd Fish over Flesh. and every scene that depicts it taking on T-Rex is impossble.

Though Spiny might fight in self defense, but thats the only time it would sink its teeth into flesh

Brontozaurus

If there's one thing I really don't like it's the 'Would X kill Y in a fight' thing that comes up in discussions of prehistoric animals. In most cases there would be no logical reason for conflict to occur. Besides, there's so much more interesting stuff to consider than whether one dinosaur could kill another and how.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess the easy answer is IF they had live in remotely the same time period, and IF they had lived in even remotely close to the same location...if the tyrannosaurus managed to act enough like a fish, anything is possible right?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Brontozaurus on January 01, 2013, 07:26:16 AM
If there's one thing I really don't like it's the 'Would X kill Y in a fight' thing that comes up in discussions of prehistoric animals. In most cases there would be no logical reason for conflict to occur. Besides, there's so much more interesting stuff to consider than whether one dinosaur could kill another and how.
I agree. I hate this mentality- it's like living creatures are just some kind of cock fighting contest.

Also, JP Spinosaurus looks nothing like the actual animal.

My opinion is that these kind of topics are stupid and at the end of the day achieve no purpose other than to get people riled up and upset with each other  ::)

amargasaurus cazaui

Which living creatures were we discussing? I missed something...........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

They'd have to be (theoretically) alive to fight each other. 'Cause, you know, skeletons don't suddenly animate themselves.

Gryphoceratops

This sort of question comes up a LOT.  That being said I don't think anyone asking it is necessarily into animal cruelty or anything.  Its just curiosity about an animal's physical capabilities and I suppose one way to get that into perspective is by comparing it to another animal. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on January 01, 2013, 03:10:14 PM
This sort of question comes up a LOT.  That being said I don't think anyone asking it is necessarily into animal cruelty or anything.  Its just curiosity about an animal's physical capabilities and I suppose one way to get that into perspective is by comparing it to another animal.

I don't want to suggest anyone who looks at such a thing is into harming animals. My only concern is I've this exact topic blow up a lot..but if we can keep the discussion civil I don't see a reason not to look at each one's traits.  I really don't see how you can say one way or the other in a  case like this though.  In JP3 the Spino won, but those weren't dinosaurs..they were genetically engineered theme park monsters as Grant put it, even though he forgot that sometimes. Of course the plot called for it. 

In reality both animals were probably capable of killing the other. Of course there isn't any evidence of it. ;)

I guess we need an Ultimate Warrior type of show for prehistoric animals. Weigh each statistic and then let them fight it out in a simulation so many times, the higher number wins.  Anyone want to try it ?  :)

IHogaRok

I'm not trying to start an argument here. I'm just wondering which would win in a battle if it did occur. Can't anyone just answer a stupid question without getting all mad over it. >:(

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 01, 2013, 06:10:23 AM
This is just asking for trouble I'm afraid..that scene sparked so many discussions which became arguments..if we can be civil here and discuss it fine..otherwise..be fore warned.. ;)

My personal opinion, given a  large environment and not being forced into it, neither would win because they wouldn't fight. There is just no reason for two big apex predators with different dietary needs to even fight.  There is nothing to gain so both would probably just avoid the other.  ;)

Agreed, but large predators do fight with other large predators as any documentary concerning lions and hyenas will tell you. Granted there is a lot of similarity in terms of diet where lions and hyenas are concerned but there are many species that will attempt to kill the competition should the chance arise. Spinosaurus was primarily a fish eater no doubt but it certainly could have taken other prey as well. Crocodiles eat fish but we know they'll eat most anything they can catch. Even herons will take birds and mammals given the chance. If Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus occurred together the simple fact that they were both large theropods could be enough to make them feel uncomfortable among each other and if the Spinosaurus really was just a big fancy piscivore perhaps it would prove to be an easy meal for something like Tyrannosaurus.

Anyway, I'm not big into "X vs Y" type debates either but I would have to side with the Tyrannosaurus for its obvious bone crushing specializations.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: IHogaRok on January 01, 2013, 06:22:40 PM
I'm not trying to start an argument here. I'm just wondering which would win in a battle if it did occur. Can't anyone just answer a stupid question without getting all mad over it. >:(

Not mad at all, just explaining .  :)   You have to understand this question has been brought up a LOT since the film came out.  It's a metaphorical " dead horse " that has been beaten to death over and over.  You could find out comes for either one that might suit you, but the simple truth is we just don't know and aren't likely ever to know in this instance.

If you refer to the film canon now that's a different story..obviously " Spinosaurus " can take out and kill a T-Rex in the Jurassic Park-verse. ;)

IHogaRok

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 01, 2013, 10:00:30 PM
Not mad at all, just explaining .  :)   You have to understand this question has been brought up a LOT since the film came out.  It's a metaphorical " dead horse " that has been beaten to death over and over.  You could find out comes for either one that might suit you, but the simple truth is we just don't know and aren't likely ever to know in this instance.

If you refer to the film canon now that's a different story..obviously " Spinosaurus " can take out and kill a T-Rex in the Jurassic Park-verse. ;)

OK :). When I put the angry face, I wasn't really mad, I was just slightly surprised by the replies. Its my first time being on a forum, so I don't quite know the ropes. Sorry.

ajax

Impossible question to answer correctly but Im going to go with Spinosaurus, I think Spino would be too quick and agile for T.Rex which would give Spino a chance to slash and bite Rex's ribs and throat.

ZoPteryx

In a fair fight, where neither gets the jump on the other, I'd say Tyrannosaurus would win.  It's bone-crunching bite would make short work of Spinosaurus's sail, severely crippling it.  If they existed together in real life though, they'd probably ignore each other.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 01, 2013, 04:02:33 PM
I guess we need an Ultimate Warrior type of show for prehistoric animals. Weigh each statistic and then let them fight it out in a simulation so many times, the higher number wins.  Anyone want to try it ?  :)

There actually was a show like that on Animal Planet (no, not Jurassic Fight Club ::)), not quite as refined as Ultimate Warrior, but still interesting.  I wanna say there was only two prehistoric episodes though, T. rex vs Triceratops and Velociraptor vs Ankylosaurus.

John

Yes,a Spinosaurus really could kill a T. rex. The rex could choke to death on one of the ribs from the spinosaur's carcass it was eating from. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: John on January 02, 2013, 02:22:42 AM
Yes,a Spinosaurus really could kill a T. rex. The rex could choke to death on one of the ribs from the spinosaur's carcass it was eating from. :)
I think he pegged it, that is the best answer yet.

tyrantqueen

Libraraptor

These species never encountered. And Jurassic Park is nothing but pure fantasy. Were these species ever to encounter, there would not be a fight. They would both be irritated and then ignore each other.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.