News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Suchomimus- Released

Started by dinonikes, March 19, 2012, 11:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

I do not have a computer at home right now, had to get a library card and figure out how to upload using that, which I did. Here is one of the 1/40 Suchomimus painted- I am doing a fairly large batch of them, and this is just one of them, they are all turning out different (paint schemes not the models turning out different, although the arms a re cast separate and I do tend to put them on in different  positions each time).

Patrx

Brilliant :) I really like the fractal yellow pattern on the back.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah there we go ! ;D

I also love the coloration here. But the head looks spot on as well as the spine. I really like the ripples in the next and sides makes me want that 1/15 version even MORE. :)

Can't wait to display this one along side my Spinosaurus from you as well Malcolm...and then we'll need some more spinosaurs..like Irritator maybe ? lol

Simon

Another stunner, Malcolm!  Absolutely brilliant - fits right next to the Spinosaurus!

Jetoar

I like these figures. I am thinking to do statics figures as this because my figures are articulated all.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ataraxus

what 126 USD??? unbelievable, when i see Galileo`s Sucho, same size which looks thousand times better i can absolutely not understand this...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ataraxus on November 06, 2012, 10:18:35 AM
what 126 USD??? unbelievable, when i see Galileo`s Sucho, same size which looks thousand times better i can absolutely not understand this...
I can sort of see where you're coming from, but since this is Dinonike's artwork, he can charge whatever he feels is right for it.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2012, 12:50:26 PM
I can sort of see where you're coming from, but since this is Dinonike's artwork, he can charge whatever he feels is right for it.

I feel I should point out that that eBay seller is not Malcolm himself. I imagine this model costs about $60, paint and all; not $126 unpainted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 06, 2012, 01:17:19 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2012, 12:50:26 PM

I feel I should point out that that eBay seller is not Malcolm himself. I imagine this model costs about $60, paint and all; not $126 unpainted.

Exactly. Maybe even less when ordered from him via PM on here or email. The seller on eBay jacks up all his pieces prices if you've noticed.  I only posted the eBay link because I was so excited to see pics of it finally. Galileo's isn't better really from what I can tell.  His Sucho's skull is wrong, too thick and Jurassic Park Spinosaurus like.  It also looks like his spine is incorrect but that could just be a matter of taste.

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 06, 2012, 02:52:26 PM
Galileo's isn't better really from what I can tell.  His Sucho's skull is wrong, too thick and Jurassic Park Spinosaurus like.  It also looks like his spine is incorrect but that could just be a matter of taste.

Indeed, now that I have a look at Galileo's version, I really do like Malcolm's better. Galileo's details are nice, but his doesn't really look much like Suchomimus, so what's the point?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 06, 2012, 03:06:52 PM
Galileo's isn't better really from what I can tell.  His Sucho's skull is wrong, too thick and Jurassic Park Spinosaurus like.  It also looks like his spine is incorrect but that could just be a matter of taste.

Indeed, now that I have a look at Galileo's version, I really do like Malcolm's better. Galileo's details are nice, but his doesn't really look much like Suchomimus, so what's the point?
The point is that some people appreciate good sculpture, not just scientific details.  In my opinion, the details on the Galileo Sucho are superior (I own the Galileo Sucho, too, so I can attest to its quality). I'm not trying to insult Dinonikes by saying that, but those are my thoughts as a consumer.

On the topic of "what's the point" why collect dinosaurs if you have that frame of mind? What is accurate today won't be in 10 or 20 years time. I guess you'll be throwing out the bulk of your collection then when it gets outdated.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2012, 03:32:55 PM
I guess you'll be throwing out the bulk of your collection then when it gets outdated.

More like re-shelving the disproven reconstructions to display our changing understanding of the animal in question over time. I do curate my collection to keep the most up-to-date life reconstructions in greatest prominence. But, at no point did the palaeontological community suspect that Suchomimus' head was shaped like the one on Galileo's model, so the value of said model in my collection would be neither historic nor prehistoric.
Of course, that's just my system. You're entirely welcome to purchase and enjoy whichever figures you like based on whatever criteria are important to you :)

dinonikes

I hate to compare artists' work, it is as useless as arguing over whether a banana tastes better than a pineapple its all based on your opinion, you like what you like I like what I like. I have always admired Galileos work, but will say I was disappointed by his Suchomimus and felt it wasnt up to his usual standards- but I base it only on photos not having held one in my hands. Hve never held ANY of his work in my hands.

You have never held one of my models in your hands, and I am not much of a photographer. Everyone who ends up buying one of my models says that photos never do them justice.

As for the price, my Sucho is priced at 60.00 for a complete finished painted ready to display model, not a kit that need to be assembled. The ebay seller is a local guy who comes by and picks up models- he marks them up considerably feeling he wants to make that markup percentage. I feel he would sell more if his prices were lower.

Weaver

I love this Suchomimus. If I ever get one of my very own, I am going to put a tiny paper grocery bag filled with fish and lobster in his/her arms. Yep.

Love the wrinkles on skin on that next and that head is gorgeous. <3

Blade-of-the-Moon

The point is that some people appreciate good sculpture, not just scientific details.  In my opinion, the details on the Galileo Sucho are superior (I own the Galileo Sucho, too, so I can attest to its quality). I'm not trying to insult Dinonikes by saying that, but those are my thoughts as a consumer.

On the topic of "what's the point" why collect dinosaurs if you have that frame of mind? What is accurate today won't be in 10 or 20 years time. I guess you'll be throwing out the bulk of your collection then when it gets outdated.

Reminds me of the debate over Papo. Galileo's is about as accurate from what I've seen as Papo's Allosaurus, plesiosaur, ect.. they have great details and some love them for them for that, myself included. I also like movie monsters, retro-saurs and of course accurate pieces. Galileo's model just doesn't meet any of those except maybe a  fictional movie monster ala the JP Spinosaurus...but I have plenty of those already.   Malcolm here has the only accurate, pre-painted figurine/statue of this species out .  As far as the art goes, I think you need an accurate animal first and then build on it. Add creative liberties if you want, feathers, dewlaps, spines, spikes, ect..and of course the color as well..that's where a lot of the art in these creatures comes from...but it's totally optional.

amargasaurus cazaui

Perhaps just a matter of opinion there as well, but I felt the dinotales figure Suchomimus wasn't bad , itself.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 04:13:49 AM

Reminds me of the debate over Papo. Galileo's is about as accurate from what I've seen as Papo's Allosaurus, plesiosaur, ect.. they have great details and some love them for them for that, myself included. I also like movie monsters, retro-saurs and of course accurate pieces. Galileo's model just doesn't meet any of those except maybe a  fictional movie monster ala the JP Spinosaurus...but I have plenty of those already.   Malcolm here has the only accurate, pre-painted figurine/statue of this species out . As far as the art goes, I think you need an accurate animal first and then build on it. Add creative liberties if you want, feathers, dewlaps, spines, spikes, ect..and of course the color as well..that's where a lot of the art in these creatures comes from...but it's totally optional.

Well obviously it takes skill to depict a fictional animal, even if it is one like the JP Spinosaurus...some people think it is just a matter of copying the anatomy from Jurassic Park...but that isn't true. You have to know your anatomy, even if the animal in question is fictitious. Otherwise it would just look amateurish. Copying another artist's work means that you also copy their mistakes....
Obviously, the concept artist for Jurassic Park must have been good at anatomy, because before JP was released, who was there for him to rip off?

Personally my favourite Suchomimus is Charlie McGrady's one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just my personal opinion on how one should go about creating a dinosaur, it's not fact. I never said Galileo doesn't have skill, he most certainly does but a little more research wouldn't hurt if he wants to be accurate as possible is all. Sometimes he goes too fast to get something done.   Whose ripping off ? Crash is an excellent artist, I really like a lot of his work including his JP designs.

McGrady's Sucho kits are some of my favorite models. His skull is off on his first one though a bit..the 2nd version is much better..but at 600.00 for an unpainted resin model it's up there. Malcolm's here for 60.00 built and painted is much more affordable and accurate to boot.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 07, 2012, 11:10:25 AM
Perhaps just a matter of opinion there as well, but I felt the dinotales figure Suchomimus wasn't bad , itself.

Agreed, but it also suffered from my main complaint on all those gashapon figures....just way too small.. lol

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 07, 2012, 11:29:49 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 04:13:49 AM

Reminds me of the debate over Papo. Galileo's is about as accurate from what I've seen as Papo's Allosaurus, plesiosaur, ect.. they have great details and some love them for them for that, myself included. I also like movie monsters, retro-saurs and of course accurate pieces. Galileo's model just doesn't meet any of those except maybe a  fictional movie monster ala the JP Spinosaurus...but I have plenty of those already.   Malcolm here has the only accurate, pre-painted figurine/statue of this species out . As far as the art goes, I think you need an accurate animal first and then build on it. Add creative liberties if you want, feathers, dewlaps, spines, spikes, ect..and of course the color as well..that's where a lot of the art in these creatures comes from...but it's totally optional.

Well obviously it takes skill to depict a fictional animal, even if it is one like the JP Spinosaurus...some people think it is just a matter of copying the anatomy from Jurassic Park...but that isn't true. You have to know your anatomy, even if the animal in question is fictitious. Otherwise it would just look amateurish. Copying another artist's work means that you also copy their mistakes....
Obviously, the concept artist for Jurassic Park must have been good at anatomy, because before JP was released, who was there for him to rip off?

Just to clarify, I think the JP designs were fantastic and indeed demonstrated talent and technical skill as well as anatomical research. I even have a separate collection for Jurassic Park stuff - namely JP-inspired Papo figures and prints of concept art. Point being, there is a difference between appreciating quality work and deciding what to collect. If I bought every dinosaur I found to be cool-looking, I'd be flat broke, because there are a lot of talented folks out there making dinosaur sculptures. By focusing on the most up-to-date reconstructions, I save a lot of money and my collection gains educational value :) Doesn't mean I think every sculptor of inaccurate palaeo-creatures is a talentless hack or anything  :o

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 04:20:35 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 07, 2012, 11:10:25 AM

Agreed, but it also suffered from my main complaint on all those gashapon figures....just way too small.. lol

While I don't take scale into consideration for my collection, I agree with you there, Blade. The Kaiyodos and such are great, and generally peerless with regard to accuracy. I would guess that Japan has fewer cultural hangups regarding feathered dinosaurs, so they lead the pack in that regard - but I do wish Kaiyodo would use their knack for accuracy and detail to make some larger dinos as well. The tiny ones are lovely, but those nice details are harder to observe at that size.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Exactly. I'm not much on scale either..but I do love pieces I can see on a shelf without having to move in so close and examine them.   The larger vinyl Kaiyodos.. I love them you can see all that detail easily.  If they had scaled up that Sucho then we might have a serious contender here...though I prefer Malcom's active pose as well.

I really can't wait to see him finally get that 1/15 finished..at that size scales, spines, will all work out. :)

For the feathered dinos..I really want Griffon/Master Fossil's new Velociraptor..it's a larger piece probably as much as their Rex was but it's fully feathered and looked stunning in the ads in PT.  I'm sure Malcolm could also do feathers in a larger scale piece.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.