News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Ceratosaurus - Released

Started by dinonikes, March 19, 2012, 11:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

Here are a few photos of the armature for a 1/40 Ceratosaurus-it measures a little over 8 inches- basing it on the estimated largest size according to my research-

dinonikes

Photos of the roughed in clay-

dinonikes

photos of finished clay pattern- ready to go- this guy will cost 50.00

dinonikes

This shows the revision I made to the scutes on the sides of this model-

Blade-of-the-Moon

Can't wait to order this guy..I can just see him in JP Cerato colors.. ;D

Lio99

Himmapaan

You appear to have a fascination with teeth, Lio... ;D

This, of course, is gorgeous, Malcolm.

Totoro

Quote from: dinonikes on March 19, 2012, 11:26:52 PM
This shows the revision I made to the scutes on the sides of this model-

This is magnificent, Malcolm (say, that might be a new title for you...Magnificent Malcolm!)!!  Is it available for order yet?  I will send funds directly if so!   ;D
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

DinoFan45

Amazing Ceratosaurus! It looks amazing!
"Life will find a way."

dinonikes

I have been way too busy lately- I had a little time and wanted to post a few photos of things-
Once I had the mold made for the 1/40 cerato, I took the clay pattern from the new mold and wanted to take advantage of the main advantage to using plastilene clay- I can reposition the sculpt and now I will make a new pattern using the original sculpt as a starting point.

Here are some photos showing the repositioned sculpt- then I fill in the rough areas up to the detail of the original sculpt-changing little things as I can to make it more unique.

Simon

The new position is an 100% improvement on the old one - DYNAMISM!!  Awesome Malcolm!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't know, I like the old one as well..but there is something to be said for more action oriented poses.  I guess you found a good way to make us spend more money eh ?  lol ;D

Now maybe open the mouth ?  ;)

DinoToyForum

I love the extra texture and the row of spines along the back, that adds a lot of character  8)

Metallisuchus

It's amazing what you can end up with when you start with such 'humble' material as cardboard and wire hangers! Is there ever an issue with mold inside the model though?

dinonikes

Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 02, 2012, 04:08:17 AM
It's amazing what you can end up with when you start with such 'humble' material as cardboard and wire hangers! Is there ever an issue with mold inside the model though?

The finished models are cast solid in urethane resin- the cardboard and hanger armatures are within the clay pattern which is discardable once the mold is made from the pattern. In this case I reused the armature by repositioning it. The clay patterns are not around long enough to get mold issues- once the mold is done and the pattern becomes obsolete, I strip all ofthe clay form the armature and reuse the clay- throwing out the armature.

Metallisuchus

Thanks for the insight. I probably should've realized that the cast is no good once you create a mold, haha.

Patrx

Hm, both poses are good, in my view. I kind of like the peacefulness of the first one. No reason every dinosaur has to be rampaging about.

dinonikes

Quote from: Pixelboy on July 03, 2012, 07:27:02 AM
Hm, both poses are good, in my view. I kind of like the peacefulness of the first one. No reason every dinosaur has to be rampaging about.

I agree- the first pose is the less common pose- there are more sculpts of therapods running or doing some sort of ballet balancing act than just calmly plodding along

Blade-of-the-Moon

I figure having one of both covers your bases pretty well.. ;)

Yutyrannus

The original position is WAY better! By the way, whatever happened to the ceratosaurus sitting on a nest? I think that one will be even better than this one once it's finished :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.