News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Daeodon - Released

Started by dinonikes, March 19, 2012, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

Here is a real rough that I did tonight when I had some inbetween time waiting for stuff to dry- measures approx. 2.5 inches at the shoulder-

dinonikes

Here is the finished sculpt-

Lio99

Lady medusa

Aaaaaaaahhhh killer piG!

Takama

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 26, 2012, 12:31:36 AM
Aaaaaaaahhhh killer piG!

Grab me the shotgun, Im getten me some Bacon!

tyrantqueen

^ Come on now guys, that's not very constructive is it?  ::) ;D

Tylosaurus

Hmm I like how you did them hairs dinonikes!

Did you use a small scalpel for those? I love the detail man it's really realistic :)
What colors do you plan to give it?

Seijun

Wasn't it decided that these guys are probably closer-related to hippos than pigs? It makes me wonder what their fleshed-out faces really looked like, because a hippo face looks nothing like the skull!
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Roktman

Quote from: Seijun on April 07, 2012, 08:29:05 AM
Wasn't it decided that these guys are probably closer-related to hippos than pigs? It makes me wonder what their fleshed-out faces really looked like, because a hippo face looks nothing like the skull!

I had never heard that. Will be interesting to look up.

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on April 07, 2012, 08:29:05 AM

"Decided" is rarely (okay, never ;)) the word of choice--but yes, current research indicates that entelodonts and hippos are closer related to each than either is to pigs.

dinonikes

Quote from: Seijun on April 09, 2012, 11:51:52 PM
Hint: Malcom, I would love to see you sculpt an entelodont with a more hippo-like face! I don't think anyone has ever done that before, even in a drawing.

Just a first reaction on reading your posts regarding the hippo relation factor to entelodonts, keeping in mind that I am certainly no animal anatomist and only go by what I can research and read, but mainly from what I can see in modern animals when it applies to relevant prehistoric animals. Even though they are related, and the skulls have a similar look to them, entelodonts and hippos wouldnt necessarily have the same sort of face. I would think it would depend on diet and other influences. Hippos have those huge lips and face, over a skull that doesnt look anything like what is attached to it. I believe the huge lips are for grazing underwater plants. Entolodonts may have had huge faces like hippos, but they do seem to be built much differently in the body which I would take as meaning different lifestyles, so probably different diets,etc. Hippos have large tusks that appear superficially like the large canines of entelodonts, but look more tusk like to me than the large teeth of entolodonts. I think it would be a stretch to make an entelodonts face look hippo like.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: dinonikes on April 13, 2012, 02:02:50 AM
Quote from: Seijun on April 09, 2012, 11:51:52 PM
Hint: Malcom, I would love to see you sculpt an entelodont with a more hippo-like face! I don't think anyone has ever done that before, even in a drawing.

Just a first reaction on reading your posts regarding the hippo relation factor to entelodonts, keeping in mind that I am certainly no animal anatomist and only go by what I can research and read, but mainly from what I can see in modern animals when it applies to relevant prehistoric animals. Even though they are related, and the skulls have a similar look to them, entelodonts and hippos wouldnt necessarily have the same sort of face. I would think it would depend on diet and other influences. Hippos have those huge lips and face, over a skull that doesnt look anything like what is attached to it. I believe the huge lips are for grazing underwater plants. Entolodonts may have had huge faces like hippos, but they do seem to be built much differently in the body which I would take as meaning different lifestyles, so probably different diets,etc. Hippos have large tusks that appear superficially like the large canines of entelodonts, but look more tusk like to me than the large teeth of entolodonts. I think it would be a stretch to make an entelodonts face look hippo like.
Agreed.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

dinonikes

Here is one painted up-

Simon

Superb Malcolm - it may be your best pre-mammal yet!

SBell

Quote from: Simon on May 01, 2012, 06:08:52 AM
Superb Malcolm - it may be your best pre-mammal yet!

I'm pretty sure it's just a mammal. ::)

;D

dinonikes

Thanks Simon-

I took Simon's term pre-mammal to be short for prehistoric mammal-not literally pre-mammal-

I think the one photographed was either Simon's copy or SBell's copy, I sent out some and cant remember which went where.

DinoToyForum

Dinonikes, the painted model is simply amazing. You've captured so much movement in this figure, and the details, especially the fur, are exquisite.  :D

Patrx

I agree - I'm not generally big on mammal figures, but this beast has a lot of life to it. One can almost hear it galloping. Excellent work :)

Lady medusa

I really like this guy. LiKe whats been said theres alot of movement! This animal just looks terrifying.
I fully agree that just cause certain animals my be related that their features can be drastically different!
Another good point would be whales and dolphins. If we didnt have them alive today i dont think they would be invisioned with a melon( in odonticetes) or the large throat grooves (in mysticetes). The very primitive versions of these guys however do (as far as we can tell) lack these adaptations.
Another point would be basilisk lizards as compared to their other agma reletives. Male green Basilisks have large fleshy Sails that extend from the head, back, and tail something that (besides the hyrdosaurus genus) other agamids lack! Another adaptation they have is the fringed toes that makes them able to run on water, an adaptaion that ONLY basilisks have! Unless one was super well preserved we probably would never guess such an animal can do these things or look this way.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.