News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Baryonyx Toyway/CollectA Deluxe Custom

Started by Steve170, February 12, 2013, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve170

If I had to choose then Baryonyx is probably my favourite dinosaur. Maybe influenced because he was discovered in the same county that I live in...and that claw...what a great dinosaur.

I'm still waiting for a standard model to be made of it that is right. To me nothing I've seen from the common manufacturers has made one. I'm after something that looks like the bary in the book behind.

I have had the NHM Toyway bary for quite a while now and thought I'd do a bit of work to it...so far I only have changed the arms - excuse me if that's not proper terminology  ;). But already I think he looks much better. I want to shorten the neck slightly or even go as far as removing the neck and moulding a brand new one...but I don't trust my modelling skills yet, no matter how simple. So for now I'll leave it like this.

Also please tell me if I this is wrong...I'm no expert.

Thought I'd post a pic of the 'heavy claw' baryonyx is known for

Primeval12

That is big

ajax

The shape of the figure is not to bad but the head looks so messed up, or maybe its just really ugly so Im not sure how you could fix that. Have you thought about finding a Spinosaurus figure and cutting the sail off, There are plenty of spino figures to choose from and then you can still make all the mods you need to.

Steve170

Yeah the head is terrible. I have seen that idea before - maybe on this forum and I've seen an edited image of I think the Papo spino without the sail. I think I'd like to do it to the Kinto desktop spinosaurus for the most impresive results but this is such a nice figure already, so maybe I should go for the basic Kinto.

Has anyone tried to do this to a figure already and has pics?

PS. Thanks for the suggestion

Gryphoceratops

Have you checked out the Carnegie Baryonyx?  Its not great but the proportions seem to be more correct. 

DinoToyForum

Great improvement to the arms and hands!  8)

Steve170

I went further with the transformation...I chose to take the head from my deluxe CollectA bary and put it on the Toyway body, shortening and slightly bulking the neck. Still not perfect as the head looks a bit too big but I'm happy enough now...just a final paint needed.

I think I'll keep the grey so just need to tweak the claws and teeth

Steve170

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on February 14, 2013, 03:09:59 AM
Have you checked out the Carnegie Baryonyx?  Its not great but the proportions seem to be more correct.

Thanks, I've been looking closer at it since your post and I might end up buying it too.

And thanks dinotoyforum!

Sumo

Wow, what an improvement! Looking forward to seeing it painted. :D
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

darylj

This looks great, I to am looking into doing a custom / kitbash baryonyx! I hope mine ends up as good as this

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.