News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Leedsichthys- Released

Started by dinonikes, March 20, 2012, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

Kind of skipped through this one without any of the initial stages-I was in a hurry to try to make one of these asap-I tried to research this guy, but there isn't a lot out there- when one google image searches Leedsichthys- not much of use as sculpt reference comes up- all there really is of any concrete info on how these might have looked is the BBC reconstruction- which I liked better than any other reconstruction paintings or illustrations i saw that all looked like just big fish, the BBC version has a lot of whale shark in the body and fins which I liked and pretty much went along this line-followingtheir 3D rendering which they have in a 360 spin mode on their site which helped a lot to see what to sculpt- here it was at one point- still rough, but showing final details layed in- it measures 23 inches in overall length-

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/HlozJbk.jpg[/img]http://

dinonikes

Here is the Leedsichthys at about the final point- just did a bit of tweaking with thinner to clean up rough spots- then its off to the molding-I guessed at the baleen in the mouth- just sort of went off of whales- but figured that without the big toungue a whale has to press the water out through the baleen, the Leedischthys might just have it hanging atthe back ofthe mouth in front of the throat-[imghttp://i.imgur.com/DjQ5RtO.jpg[/img]http://

Lady medusa

About tiMe some one sculpted one of these!!! Are u gonna turn it into a kit?

stoneage

:)  I'd really like to see one of these finished and painted.  I'd also like to see how you mount it to the finished base, since it's so big.

SBell

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 26, 2012, 12:15:42 AM

They aren't made as kits, they are single pieces, prepainted or not.

Lady medusa

Quote from: SBell on March 26, 2012, 05:38:31 AM
Quote from: Lady medusa on March 26, 2012, 12:15:42 AM

They aren't made as kits, they are single pieces, prepainted or not.

Hey i dont care if they come in pieces or one single piece as long as i can get it and paint it ;) ! Id rether them be one piece anyways so i dont have to worry about screwing it up while seaming it!

When i say kit i mean an unpainted piece more or less lol guess i need to stop saying that :P

Takama

dinonikes

One of these painted up

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a big fish ! I need a harpoon and several barrels of fish fry.. lol

The pose looks great Malcolm..I love how these piece of yours seem to really be undulating their bodies through the water.

SBell

That looks amazing...I am down for one, right?

Takama

A little bright.  But. Its nice to see this creture in a diffrent color besides tan/grey. (From one of my books)

Bokisaurus

Another fantastic model! Wow, really impressive this guys is. I hope that mine will be swimming its way to the pacific in the near future ;)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stoneage

Jetoar

I love it. It is magnificent
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.