News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Funny dinosaur names

Started by Primeval12, March 11, 2013, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Crabs Named after the king of pop, dinosaurs' names that sound funny. Post em' all here! Than we'll vote on the best.

Takama

Irritator Rugops Pantydraco

stoneage

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on March 12, 2013, 12:19:10 AM
:))  http://www.neatorama.com/2007/02/19/the-worlds-strangest-dinosaur-names/

There's a couple that I think may be nomen dubium--and as far as I know, Eric isn't a genus name (it's genus is Umoonasaurus, which is still pretty awesome), nor was it named for Eric Idle. It was more likely named for Eric the Half-a-bee (a Monty Python sketch). There are also plenty missing I'm sure (unless we stick only to dinosaurs).

Iguanocolossus

Aside from the ones in the article? Pantydraco, Magnapaulina, Sarahsaurus, Adeopapposaurus, Angulomastacator, Capitalsaurus, Crichtonsaurus, Cunmoria, Demandasaurus, Edmarka, Fruitadens, Kemkemia, Labocania, Timmimus, Leaellynasaura, Lurdusaurus, Martharaptor, Megacervixosaurus, Nedoceratops, Panamericansaurus, Opisthocoelicaudia, Rileyasuchus, Richardoestesia, Stephanosaurus, Struthiosaurus the ankylosaur, Tetragonosaurus, Thespius, Ugrosaurus, Vagaceratops and Wadhurstia

Himmapaan

I never saw Leaellynasaura as funny. I think it's a beautiful name. :D One of my favourite dinosaur names, in fact. And I'm fond of the animal itself too.  ^-^

Gryphoceratops

I actually wrote a post exactly about crazy dinosaur and other prehistoric animal names this past Jan on my website.  I could probably do another one there are just so many good ones out there. 

http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/01/dinosaur-names-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Simon

...when half a bee, is not a bee - due to some ancient injury....

everybody whistle now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w

Brontozaurus

Megapnosaurus, meaning 'big dead lizard'. I've always found that one funny.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

CityRaptor

Well, it is  a big, obviously dead lizard...

I always think it is odd to name something -mimus, as imitating would be the other way around.  Also especially odd when you name it after a person.

Aside from the already named:
Sciurumimus - becomes somthing similar to Megalosaurus after all.

Also Mussasaurus, the Mouse Lizard.

Also Hippodraco, the Horse Dragon. Sounds like something out of Mythology. But then again, looking at Aladar...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stoneage

Quote from: Simon on March 12, 2013, 04:39:39 AM
...when half a bee, is not a bee - due to some ancient injury....

everybody whistle now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w

;D  This reminds me of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. " To bee or not to bee."

Takama

Primeval12

How do you make a poll again?

Splonkadumpocus

On a more serious note, I think Nigersaurus has the most unfortunate name of all, especially considering its trademark feature is a wide mouth.

I won't link anything specific, but the Internet has taken the implications and run with them, the Wikipedia article on Nigersaurus has repeatedly been vandalized (e.g. "plant-eater" changed to "fried chicken and watermelon-eater") and such.

I just wish scientists would consider things more carefully sometimes. This reaction should have been obvious from the beginning and a different name should have been given.

Dikiyoba

...Nigersaurus is named after the country of Niger.

Anyway, Pawpawsaurus. And, um, Sinraptor dongi.

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: Dikiyoba on March 21, 2013, 03:57:42 AM

I never said otherwise. It's still close enough for people to use it for offensive jokes, which is why I wish it had been named something else.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on March 21, 2013, 03:32:15 AM
On a more serious note, I think Nigersaurus has the most unfortunate name of all, especially considering its trademark feature is a wide mouth.

I won't link anything specific, but the Internet has taken the implications and run with them, the Wikipedia article on Nigersaurus has repeatedly been vandalized (e.g. "plant-eater" changed to "fried chicken and watermelon-eater") and such.

I just wish scientists would consider things more carefully sometimes. This reaction should have been obvious from the beginning and a different name should have been given.

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on March 21, 2013, 04:30:07 AM
Quote from: Dikiyoba on March 21, 2013, 03:57:42 AM

I never said otherwise. It's still close enough for people to use it for offensive jokes, which is why I wish it had been named something else.

Those things never once occurred to me.  :-\ But as with all such things, those who see an opening for offensive jokes with it only show themselves up for what they are. Neither the name nor the scientists who chose it are the problem, I think.

Primeval12

Can we not talk about this?

Primeval12

Quote from: primeval12 on March 21, 2013, 03:23:32 PM
Can we not talk about this?

However I do think it's horrable that people make racest jokes about the name

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.