News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/15 Dilophosaurus- Released

Started by dinonikes, March 20, 2012, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

Here are some photos of a roughed in sculpt of a 1/15 Dilophosaurus- measures 16.5 inches in length from nose to tip of tail- based on the type skeleton which was a gracile type-clay has been roughed in and smoothed, putting in muscle definition , almost ready to texture and detail- noticed one of the toes on the upraised foot fell off prior to photographing it, did not notice that til photos were uploaded-

Dilophosaurus is probably my favorite theropod, as I have had much time spent with the Rush full size reconstruction that Greg Paul directed Rush to make in the 80's. I cast and painted four of the Rush full size models, spent many hours cleaning the casts up for painting, working over the body, I had one of the full size ones displayed above my desk for six years so I saw it every day for years. I sculpt Dilos without using any reference other than the skeletal drawing that I start off my armature with per usual-

dinonikes

This one is pretty much finished, just needs tweaking and cleaning up a bit as I mold it- hope you like it-

John

This is quite impressive! Easily the best Dilophosaurus I've seen yet.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Lio99

i love carnivorous dinos with there mouth closed!

Blade-of-the-Moon

This one is cool..but my favorite has to be your 1/1 Dilo...would love to have that guy in my " park ".. ;)

dinonikes

I did more to this model since these photos were taken. I do really like Dilophosaurus(and it always bugged me how it was portrayed in JP, made what is a really beutiful head look ugly in my opinion) and I think I did a pretty good job getting it right with this model. Blade, the 1/1 Dilo isnt really mine- it was originally sculpted by Roger Walshlager for Rush Studios, I was just lucky enough to cast a few of them in my time and paint them. I do have a mold for the right side of the head from that Rush Dilo model that I make up as a wall hanging.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah, I keep seeing how similar the 1/1, 1/40 and this 1/15 are and figure it was all you bud.  The JP Dilo was really just a smaller Raptor head they used so it is a shame they didn't go with the actual skull for some reason.

No disrespect intended though I love this one too..I just have that nasty penchant for 1/1 that drives me and others crazy..lol

I do like the color scheme from the film and novel though..would be cool to see an accurate model painted with them.

dinonikes

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 21, 2012, 06:03:49 PM
Ah, I keep seeing how similar the 1/1, 1/40 and this 1/15 are and figure it was all you bud.

I will always see a Dilo as how Rodger Walshlager sculpted it for Rush- similarities between his and mine are unaviodable. I actually use a variation of his style on all of these models- it gives detail, but is also a quick technique. I worked with Roger for many years and learned a lot from him. I always think how he is the most important relatively unknown paleo sculptor- no one really knows who he is (He gets a mention in the Preface to Gregory Paul's book Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, probably the only time he got public credit for his work). Rodger was the first (1974) to sculpt a life size T.rex in a modern posture and that is something that no other artist will ever do-be the first.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinonikes on March 21, 2012, 06:42:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 21, 2012, 06:03:49 PM
Ah, I keep seeing how similar the 1/1, 1/40 and this 1/15 are and figure it was all you bud.

I will always see a Dilo as how Rodger Walshlager sculpted it for Rush- similarities between his and mine are unavoidable. I actually use a variation of his style on all of these models- it gives detail, but is also a quick technique. I worked with Roger for many years and learned a lot from him. I always think how he is the most important relatively unknown paleo sculptor- no one really knows who he is (He gets a mention in the Preface to Gregory Paul's book Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, probably the only time he got public credit for his work). Rodger was the first (1974) to sculpt a life size T.rex in a modern posture and that is something that no other artist will ever do-be the first.

I saw it mentioned that Greg Paul was the artist whose work the Dilo was based on, on Glut's site where I found those pics  I posted for you on FB.

You know, you should write up an article or help someone else to on Mr. Walshlager for PT. That way many more Dino fans could tell whose art they've seen and been inspired by.

Lady medusa

How much would this dilo be prIced at??? I have the dilo from creature studios that i want to start on soon but i would love to have this one with it in the same diorama!

Takama

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 26, 2012, 12:05:45 AM
How much would this dilo be prIced at???

Yes, Im curios too, also is your 1:40 version still in production?

DinoFan45

The Dilophosaurus Is amazing, I personally want to see what he looks like in color.   ;D
"Life will find a way."

dinonikes

Here are photos of finished piece-

Jetoar

Cool Dilophosaurus. I like the run position  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

:D It's wonderful! I want it ;D!
Would you also sell it unpainted?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks really awesome ! A larger version of the 1/40 but this one has such great color and detail. ;D

Malcolm I believe sells all his pieces unpainted as well as painted. I'd send him a PM and ask. :)

Takama

I actaully got a glimpse of one of these painted alredy, in Sepps Collection pictures

Patrx

Truly an improvement over even the Rush maquette :) Great work!

dinonikes

Quote from: Takama on December 09, 2012, 11:42:16 PM
I actaully got a glimpse of one of these painted alredy, in Sepps Collection pictures

That larger Dilo in Sepp's collection is one of the Rush Dilophosaurus models I made up for her a ways back ( she also has one of my 1/40 dilos).

dinonikes

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 09, 2012, 08:15:20 PM
:D It's wonderful! I want it ;D!
Would you also sell it unpainted?

Yes. I do sell unpainted figures- I do not sign the unpainted ones, though. I only sign the ones that I paint up.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.