News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dimetrodon: what is this mold ?

Started by biniou24, August 15, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biniou24

Hi, this morning I have bought at a secondhand market a Dimetrodon.

It seems the same as the one I already possess but I've seen a difference: it doesn't have scales on its belly. It's smooth instead.

Is this a smithsonian version ? It does have the mecanism to move its mouth.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not sure, but that is a possibility.   I recall the few Smithsonian figures I had some were different like this.

Seijun

How very curious! I checked mine and I also have one with belly scales and one without. If it is the smith version, I wonder why they would remove the scales? Or maybe the DR version is the one without scales?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

biniou24

Quote from: Seijun on August 15, 2012, 06:25:04 PMmaybe the DR version is the one without scales?
I am 99% sure that the DR has scales (or could I say "my DR dimetrodon"), because I bought mine to a man and he said to me that he owned it since he was a child (and about 15 other DR, lol, I bought all of his toys).

ajax

That is a bit strange, I thought i would have read this on the DR site or somewhere. Mine is at home and I will have a look tonight. I love the figure with and without armour.

CityRaptor

Well, I have two Smithonian Dimentrodons, both with smooth bellies. 
The colors also match your smooth one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

dinoridersworld.com

Quote from: ajax on August 16, 2012, 12:31:51 AM
That is a bit strange, I thought i would have read this on the DR site or somewhere. Mine is at home and I will have a look tonight. I love the figure with and without armour.

I have never actually compared these before - to me this seems almost certainly a situation of there being minor differences between the Dino Riders versus Smithsonian editions.  I'll have to check my toys to see which one is which.  That said, it still doesn't answer the question of why they would be different.

David Phantomhive

I have the Dino Rider Dimetrodon, and it is not smooth on the bottom.   :)

Jetoar

My Dimetrodon have esales in its belly  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

David Phantomhive

Cool Jetoar!  Are you into Dino Riders too?

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

David Phantomhive

WHOA!!! That is a super-awesome collection of dinos you have!!!  My sis has my camera with her on vacation, but when she comes back, I will take some pics of mine to share.  I have 25 complete Dino Riders, and I am looking for Edmontonia, Chasmosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus (Rulon), and the mail-away Pterodactyl, so if you ever want to get rid of those...  ;D Very nice!!!

Jetoar

Quote from: David Phantomhive on August 02, 2013, 09:52:04 AM
WHOA!!! That is a super-awesome collection of dinos you have!!!  My sis has my camera with her on vacation, but when she comes back, I will take some pics of mine to share.  I have 25 complete Dino Riders, and I am looking for Edmontonia, Chasmosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus (Rulon), and the mail-away Pterodactyl, so if you ever want to get rid of those...  ;D Very nice!!!

I have their armors in a box because I think that for their displays is the best  ^-^

David Phantomhive

I am deciding to display with the armor, because it is so awesome, but these dinos display well by themselves too!  A lot of these sculpts were way ahead of their time!  ;D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.