You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Collective Nouns - What terms should we use?

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, July 20, 2013, 07:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything_Dinosaur

From time to time we get asked to write various pieces on the Dinosauria and prehistoric animals in general.  One of the problems that we come across is to how best to describe a group of a certain species - the collective noun.  We have schools of fish, pods of whales, troops of monkeys, but none of us ever recall coming across any defined terms when it comes to extinct animals.  Most researchers now agree that many dinosaurs lived in herds, even Theropods may have hunted in packs, should we have specific collective terms for various groups of dinosaurs?

How about a "menace of Allosaurs", or a "rush of Hypsilophodonts", or even a "parade of Parasaurolophus"

Suggestions most welcome, we can then build up a definitive list for future reference.

sauroid

"flock" seems to be an appropriate term to use on small communal species, whether ornithischians or saurischians
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Theropods hunting together- a pack
Large herbivores that group together such as Triceratops, Brachiosaurus, and Parasaurolophus- a herd

Those are the words I use, they work well enough for me.

DinoToyForum

Great idea for a topic! One can find plenty of real life examples for inspiration here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animal_names

Pod of plesiosaurs makes sense :)

How about a wobble of sauropods.
Crush of ankylosaurs.
Slobber of tyrannosaurs
Hulk of abelisaurs
Swathe of raptors
Navy of ichthyosaurus
Mosh of mosasaurs

Everything_Dinosaur

A pod of Plesiosaurs, we should have thought of that, it makes sense.  We thought about something to do with tanks or the military for Ankylosaurs something like a brigade of Ankylosaurs.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 20, 2013, 12:21:35 PM
A pod of Plesiosaurs, we should have thought of that, it makes sense.  We thought about something to do with tanks or the military for Ankylosaurs something like a brigade of Ankylosaurs.

Yes! A battalion of Ankylosaurs!
A convoy of Ceratopsians

Roselaar

'A Pod of Plesiosaurs', 'A Convoy of Ceratopsians'... sounds like new novels from A Song of Ice and Fire. :)

I would just compare extinct species to contemporary animals and apply the terms used for those. E.g., a pack of Allosaurs, a herd of Sauropods, a flock of Eudimorphodons, etc. But I understand th fun involved in going alliterative with terminology.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roselaar on July 20, 2013, 01:22:05 PM
'A Pod of Plesiosaurs', 'A Convoy of Ceratopsians'... sounds like new novels from A Song of Ice and Fire. :)

I would just compare extinct species to contemporary animals and apply the terms used for those. E.g., a pack of Allosaurs, a herd of Sauropods, a flock of Eudimorphodons, etc. But I understand th fun involved in going alliterative with terminology.

But 'flock', 'pack', 'herd', are general terms. Specific animals often have specific collective nouns. Such as 'pride of lions', 'gaggle of geese', 'troop of ostriches'. That's where the fun begins ;)

Roselaar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 20, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on July 20, 2013, 01:22:05 PM

But 'flock', 'pack', 'herd', are general terms. Specific animals often have specific collective nouns. Such as 'pride of lions', 'gaggle of geese', 'troop of ostriches'. That's where the fun begins ;)

So you're saying, since these animals are extinct, you can make up whatever terms you like and hope it catches on then? Okay then, here's a few more:

'A Conglomerate of Concavenators'
'A Succession of Sinornithosaurs'
'A Treasure Trove of Troodons'
'An Invasion of Incisivosaurs'
'A Mountain of Montanoceratopses'
'A Force of Fabrosaurs'

You're right, this is fun! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

A fun topic ! Though I think this would go in the Dinosaurs section since it doesn't relate to toys specifically .

Takama

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on July 22, 2013, 01:44:46 AM
I read that a group of baby sauropods are a pod
WWD called them a "crèche"

How about a dictatorship of tyrannosaurus rex?

Patrx

Everything_Dinosaur

As far as we know there are no definitions regarding collective nouns for the Dinosauria or indeed any extinct animals that we can think of.  If the Thagomiser can become a valid scientific term (tail spikes on a Stegosaur) then as far as we are concerned it is open season on collective nouns.

amargasaurus cazaui

Perhaps a snicker of Psittacosaurus.......or a swoop of pterodactyls!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

brandem

Everything_Dinosaur

A "court of Tyrannosaurs" nice one!  We had a similar suggestion a few months ago sent into us a "retinue of rexes".  A clever geologist colleague explained at the time that a retinue was the name given to a group of attendants that travelled with an important person such as King.

tyrantqueen

How about a thunderclap of Apatosaurus? It makes reference to the old name, Brontosaurus 8)

amargasaurus cazaui

I think going with the flow here you could have a peck of Oviraptors, a trample of Brachiosaurus, and a crest of Lambeosaurs
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: