News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I will say Carnegie is pretty hit and miss, but that being said they've made more than their fare of gems over the years for me to safely say I want them to keep on making more, even if I only ever end up getting a select few

John

I just picked the 4 new Battat dinos up at my nearest Target today and I have to agree with the comments calling the Pachyrhinosaurus being easily the best of it's species ever made.In my opinion it's the best ceratopsian to come out since,well the ones from Battat's Museum of Science,Boston line in the 90's. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2014, 02:55:19 AM
I will say Carnegie is pretty hit and miss, but that being said they've made more than their fare of gems over the years for me to safely say I want them to keep on making more, even if I only ever end up getting a select few
Me,I love both the Carnegie Museum AND Battat lines really.Both those lines being active now along with Kaiyodo in Japan which just came out with the fantastic marine reptile miniature set (which I also got recently and HIGHLY recommend) makes 3 out of four of my all time favorite lines still going now.The only line missing right now is Invicta's Natural History Museum,London line which I would absolutely love to see suddenly turn up with new additions too. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Simon

Quote from: John on August 24, 2014, 03:11:16 AM
I just picked the 4 new Battat dinos up at my nearest Target today and I have to agree with the comments calling the Pachyrhinosaurus being easily the best of it's species ever made.In my opinion it's the best ceratopsian to come out since,well the ones from Battat's Museum of Science,Boston line in the 90's. :)

Well, fancy that!

Simon

"Hit or miss" hits the nail on the head, and with the across-the-board advances of the competition - and now the re-introduction of the "Holy Grail" real-museum-line that is Battat, all of Carnegie's pretense about being THE "Museum Quality" figure company has been thoroughly blown away, leaving behind an "Emperor" that is often without clothes, with an unbroken record of producing the most horrible theropod dinosaur figures of the past 10 years ...

John

I hope that both the new Battat dinosaurs AND Carnegie Collection dinosaurs keep coming for years to come. ;D

DinoLord

Carnegie puts out some decent figures with nice sculpts but I find a lot of them (theropods especially) rather boring.

John

I find it an odd coincidence that much of the new dinosaurs and prehistoric animals I've gotten within the last year like the Carnegie's 2014 T. rex,the 4 new Battat dinos and the small Kaiyodo Plesiosaurus from the recent marine reptile set are all in 1:40 scale. :)

Simon

Well John, it COULD just be that the 1/40 scale is the most popular one out there, so ....

... as for me I am a "one scale fits all" kind of fellow.  Another reason for me to dislike Carnegie ...

Meso-Cenozoic

Hey guys! I was in Walmart a couple days ago to see what's new on their Schleich display shelves. I was hoping to finally get a glimpse of their new Pentaceratops. Not only did they finally get that one in, but I also spotted an "Exclusive" RED T.rex! I think it's the same sculpt as the green 2012 figure. Has anyone else heard of this release? I saw Fukuiraptor posted a pic of an all gold one, which I also never heard of. What are these variants?

Here's a pic of it and a couple more with the Pentaceratops...

morrijos

Quote from: Simon on August 24, 2014, 03:24:43 AM

"Hit or miss" hits the nail on the head, and with the across-the-board advances of the competition - and now the re-introduction of the "Holy Grail" real-museum-line that is Battat, all of Carnegie's pretense about being THE "Museum Quality" figure company has been thoroughly blown away, leaving behind an "Emperor" that is often without clothes, with an unbroken record of producing the most horrible theropod dinosaur figures of the past 10 years ...

Sometimes a little free-market competition is just what's needed to turn the tide, so to speak.  Maybe it will force Carnegie to do better. 

tyrantqueen

Huh, that's interesting. It's actually kind of cool that Schleich makes these variants in different colours. It adds a bit more fun into collecting. I wish more companies did this. It reminds me of that zebra set that they made a while back. That was very odd :o

John

Quote from: Simon on August 24, 2014, 06:01:59 AM
Well John, it COULD just be that the 1/40 scale is the most popular one out there, so ....

... as for me I am a "one scale fits all" kind of fellow.  Another reason for me to dislike Carnegie ...
It's not the popularity of 1:40 scale in the case of either the Carnegie or Kaiyodo ones.They just happened to fall under that scale because their respective lines' size ranges.
While I can see the appeal of having everything to the same scale,I find sticking to just one scale a bit too limiting for me.

Fukuiraptor

Thanks Meso-Cenozoic for the photos!  I think the red t-rex is beautiful  :))

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 24, 2014, 06:54:43 AM
Hey guys! I was in Walmart a couple days ago to see what's new on their Schleich display shelves. I was hoping to finally get a glimpse of their new Pentaceratops. Not only did they finally get that one in, but I also spotted an "Exclusive" RED T.rex! I think it's the same sculpt as the green 2012 figure. Has anyone else heard of this release? I saw Fukuiraptor posted a pic of an all gold one, which I also never heard of. What are these variants?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Trying to make them more collectible is my guess.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 24, 2014, 07:40:05 AM
Huh, that's interesting. It's actually kind of cool that Schleich makes these variants in different colours. It adds a bit more fun into collecting. I wish more companies did this. It reminds me of that zebra set that they made a while back. That was very odd :o

What the... Zepig? Zeraffe? Zeguin? Kangabra?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Bokisaurus

A resin JP looking spin ;D
[

Meso-Cenozoic

No problem, Fukuiraptor. Glad to share! (Though, it did take me a few tries to remember how to post pics again. Haha!)

Cool JP-style T.rex, Boki! What company makes that?

Tyrantqueen, I think the variants are pretty cool too! I just found it a little odd there wasn't any mention of this one being made for the 2014 season. But maybe I missed it somewhere. Although, it does make it fun in a way to experience when looking for new figures in the old-fashion way (sans the internet) and then being pleasantly surprised at a store!  :))

BTW, I don't ever remember seeing those zebra variants before. How strange. I wonder what they were thinking? Haha! Although, they do make for an interesting collection art-wise.

Alexxitator

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 24, 2014, 06:54:43 AM

Buy em all! I want one! And a golden too! If they do a purple one grab it for me aswell!  8)
I really love these variants
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Megalosaurus

Pretty piece Bokisaurus.

Nice finding Meso-Cenozoic.

I must confess that I've never considered to get the Schleich T-Rex, but the new gold & red exclusives pump up its collector value, so I go for the Red one if I see it online, or if someone cand lend me a hand to get it please send me a PM.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: