News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo Tyrannosaurus - The stock dinosaur

Started by Hermes888, August 19, 2013, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermes888

I keep seeing Papo's original Tyrannosaurus figure appearing other places as "stock" dinosaurs. Here are some examples I found:

I know it doesn't seem like much at the moment, but I swear I saw two kids' books at museums that had the Papo figure on their cover, but after spending fifteen minutes searching on Amazon I gave up. Does anyone else know of any products that use Papo's figure as a "stock" image?

tyrantqueen

This whole book uses Papo dinosaurs, such as the Spinosaurus. A bit misleading for a book that's supposed to be educational :-\

Found on Zazzle

Sold as a print.

Patrx

You bet! I've seen it on pens, books, posters - all kinds of things. Papo dinosaurs are often photographed for use as stock photos. Take a look here.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Pachyrhinosaurus

I saw a billboard like this on the way to Atlantic City once.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Everything_Dinosaur

The Papo green standing T. rex (55001) and the Papo Allosaurus seem to be everywhere, the images are widely available as "stock" dinosaur images, I suppose this goes some way to explain the sensitivity Papo have towards their images being used without their Papo logo.  We even saw an image of what looked like the Papo Running T. rex in an article published in the Economist.

Megalosaurus

I believe the reason behind this is that Papo dinosaurs look much like real living dinos.
So they look better than illustrations and better than other models. I`m not talking about accuracy, i`m talking about organic look.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on August 19, 2013, 05:38:01 PM
We even saw an image of what looked like the Papo Running T. rex in an article published in the Economist.

Ahah, you mean this?

It appears to be a composite of the running Papo rex with the digital model by Raul Lunia:

Also, the arms look like they may be made from photos of some kind of agamid lizard.

Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 19, 2013, 05:59:57 PM
I believe the reason behind this is that Papo dinosaurs look much like real living dinos.
So they look better than illustrations and better than other models. I`m not talking about accuracy, i`m talking about organic look.

That's probably so, but it's distressing. Papo's inaccuracy issues aren't really a problem when they're just toys - but it's a shame to see them used in lieu of proper life reconstructions for kids' books and the like.

Hermes888

Is it actually legal to take a figure from Papo and use it to sell your own product? Isn't that stealing?

Justin_

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

John

The Papo green standing T. rex (55001) and the Papo Allosaurus seem to be everywhere, the images are widely available as "stock" dinosaur images, I suppose this goes some way to explain the sensitivity Papo have towards their images being used without their Papo logo.  We even saw an image of what looked like the Papo Running T. rex in an article published in the Economist.
Papo can hardly say anything about the use of some of their toys being used in images,especially the first T. rex they released.It's an exact copy of the one in the Jurassic Park movies,even down to the wrinkles and scales on it's body...Did Papo pay anything to Stan Winston Studios? ;)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: John on August 19, 2013, 08:00:26 PM
Papo can hardly say anything about the use of some of their toys being used in images,especially the first T. rex they released.It's an exact copy of the one in the Jurassic Park movies,even down to the wrinkles and scales on it's body...Did Papo pay anything to Stan Winston Studios? ;)

No it's not.

Also, Papo are not using the Jurassic Park trademark for their toys, nor do they claim that their toys are official JP replicas. They can get away with it.

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 19, 2013, 09:58:10 PM
Quote from: John on August 19, 2013, 08:00:26 PM

No it's not.

Also, Papo are not using the Jurassic Park trademark for their toys, nor do they claim that their toys are official JP replicas. They can get away with it.
Actually,my point was that those using the images of Papo's toys are doing to Papo what Papo did to Stan Winston Studios. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Takama

Papo dinosaurs are common on all sorts of things.   Like this puzzle i found at Wal-Mart

John

Quote from: Takama on August 20, 2013, 12:31:40 AM
Papo dinosaurs are common on all sorts of things.   Like this puzzle i found at Wal-Mart

They seem to have the Allosaurus and Spinosaurus confused for one another. :)

Takama

Yes they do.  Dr. Admin said he wouldn't trust the most trusted name in learning because of it.

tyrantqueen

QuoteActually,my point was that those using the images of Papo's toys are doing to Papo what Papo did to Stan Winston Studios
Maybe, kinda. But Papo are not directly ripping off JP's images, they are only taking inspiration from their designs. The images posted in this thread are directly stolen from Papo's stock images. Big difference.

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 20, 2013, 02:30:27 AM
QuoteActually,my point was that those using the images of Papo's toys are doing to Papo what Papo did to Stan Winston Studios
Maybe, kinda. But Papo are not directly ripping off JP's images, they are only taking inspiration from their designs. The images posted in this thread are directly stolen from Papo's stock images. Big difference.
When you think about it,Papo has a copyright on all the designs and images they have of their products so I would guess the images were used with permission. :)

Everything_Dinosaur

We think a number of the Papo images are actually out of copyright.  It is a subject we have never raised with Papo, but the green standing T. rex and the Papo Allosaurus images are ubiquitous and as we have worked on various projects including our "dino van" we were offered imagery of the Papo Dinosaurs mentioned above for use in the design.  We took a number of pictures of the Papo dinosaurs being used and we wrote a blog article about the process here: Dino Van becomes a reality].  When we told Papo management what we were doing they were delighted, so they did not have an issue with the images.  I think with most design companies if you ask them for dinosaur images to be used for any marketing purposes, it is a fairly safe bet to expect to see Papo imagery come up in the examples offered.   We have not seen any of the more recent Papo models used in this way, maybe others have.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.