News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo Tyrannosaurus - The stock dinosaur

Started by Hermes888, August 19, 2013, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 01, 2018, 08:38:26 AM
Yeah, we got a thread about that:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6486.0

Quote from: Ravonium on February 01, 2018, 07:56:54 AM
Ah, the media, always pumping out junk articles about Palaeontology and other science

You know, I can see why Professor Challenger does not like reporters.

Oh sorry, I completely missed that thread!  :-[

yankeetrex

Quote from: Roselaar on November 23, 2017, 08:36:31 PM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 23, 2017, 06:45:24 AM
I'll be shocked if this hasn't been mentioned before:

Jurassic World promo material and also briefly visible in a few scenes of the movie.  I guess if you can't beat the copycats, just copy them right back!

I'm not convinced that counts, there's plenty of differences. The pose sure is similar, but otherwise... Besides, Papo started ripping off the JP Rexes first.

I'm not saying this model wasn't inspired by the running Rex, it could have been.

I got to hold one of these while I was on set, they were made of resin and much bigger then the papo running rex.  Its def inspired by, but totally its own thing.

Shonisaurus

Obviously it does not surprise me why Papo continues with that tyrannosaurus rex figure and does not update it. It is an icon among collectors and children and has become popular.

Nor is it any wonder that other companies have followed their example. It is obviously a source of income for any toy company.

Although it is not scientifically accurate, Papo has been able to sell the product and sincerely, the company Papo has sincerely "hooked" me from the collector's point of view.  :)

Minmiminime

The Papo green runnng rex is currently plastered over the side of a local bus, advertising tourism in the town. Makes a change from the usual one! These Papo rexes get everywhere!!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

fleshanthos

I've seen that running rex in a number of businesses...
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

CityRaptor

Ah, also reminds me of that one time Schleich used it for their advertisement.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 24, 2019, 02:03:16 PM
Ah, also reminds me of that one time Schleich used it for their advertisement.
I still have that image saved somewhere. Golden.

Roselaar

Went to the Naturalis NHM in Leiden yesterday. Next to their awesome T-Rex skeleton they had some typical museum information, accompanied by a huge imprint of the Papo running Rex. Should have taken a picture...

SidB

Glad that I got the original brown running rex when it first came out (briefly and limitedly) years ago at Mastermind Toys. It's a classic!

Halichoeres

That Cox et al. encyclopedia that so many of us own or have owned has a new cover, featuring ol' Snaggletooth.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

:P   Don't miss the latest grey version of Papo's running Tyrannosaurus to complete your collection!

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Loon

I was doing a totally normal thing, just watching an age appropriate video, when I noticed a familiar sillouhette in the background.

GojiraGuy1954

Kapitaenosavrvs

Stumbled again on this one and thought of this Thread. Reminds me of the Schleich-Papo incident, hehe. I just thought of a Kid seeing this in an offline Store and the pure Sadness afterwards.

PrimevalRaptor

Interestingly enough (and I guess funny since you compared it to the time Schleich used a Papo T.rex for an ad) the figure there almost seems more based on the 2006 Schleich one especially looking at the legs.

But man this is sad, I loved the "Was ist was" books as a kid, c'mon you're better than that.

Justin_

Despite the oil-slick feathering, the Dwarf Black Tyrant in the Supersaurs series of books is clearly based on the Papo running Rex.

Most of the pictures I've seen of it are the same pose from different angles, sometimes mirrored like this one:

There's even a life-size model:

Other Papo figures used as models in these books, also I think a few Schleichs. The Papo Pachyrhinosaurus is in the background of the second picture, and I've spotted the arch-backed bellowing Stegosaurus and the long-necked Styracosaurus.

TethysaurusUK

Quote from: Arul on August 17, 2015, 03:03:51 AM
Who love smack down/RAW ?

Vince, stop! We get it! Roman Reigns is your next 'John Cena'. But, he can't superman punch a T. rex!

Faelrin

This website for this event in my area (which I'm thinking of going to), uses the Papo running rex and the Triceratops promo/stock pics in their header.

https://thejurassicencounter.com/gallery/
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

Papo really needs to remake the original standing rex with the altered head

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.