News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2013 - poll now open!

Started by DinoToyForum, September 05, 2013, 11:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick your top FIVE dioramas.

1. In deep water
5 (4.9%)
2. The lost world
36 (35%)
3. Dinner guest
3 (2.9%)
4. Cretaceous expedition
4 (3.9%)
5. Meeting at the river
11 (10.7%)
6. Patience is a virtue
11 (10.7%)
7. Cruel sea
25 (24.3%)
8. Three angry chicks at work
42 (40.8%)
9. The hunt
10 (9.7%)
10. Asserting his territory
11 (10.7%)
11. Up the river
12 (11.7%)
12. Vagaceratops at sunset
17 (16.5%)
13. Sic semper tyrannis [Down with the tyrant]
26 (25.2%)
14. Dreams of sailing
13 (12.6%)
15. The awakening of rapier teeth starts upon the last rays of the sun
3 (2.9%)
16. Youth gone wild
12 (11.7%)
17. Dancing with death
7 (6.8%)
18. Supremacy in the Jurassic - Brachiosaurus Vs Allosaurus
11 (10.7%)
19. Fatal attraction
21 (20.4%)
20. Get off my back, it's bedtime!
5 (4.9%)
21. Tiny giant
16 (15.5%)
22. Theropod showdown
10 (9.7%)
23. Swamp monster
2 (1.9%)
24. Spying the new girl in neighborhood
2 (1.9%)
25. Hidden in the bushes
4 (3.9%)
26. Desert of the titans
3 (2.9%)
27. Carno's charge at the creek
2 (1.9%)
28. Siesta
25 (24.3%)
29. Multispinus mudbathers
12 (11.7%)
30. Is everything right at the rear?
1 (1%)
31. The meeting
4 (3.9%)
32. Flying low in the Cretaceous
5 (4.9%)
33. Bird's eye view
3 (2.9%)
34. A day off at the bar
8 (7.8%)
35. Grandeur
19 (18.4%)
36. Snack time
8 (7.8%)
37. Dinosaur eggs
8 (7.8%)
38. Dinosaur group
10 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: October 05, 2013, 11:24:29 PM

Nebuloid

Some great entries this year ! I couldn't find time/inspiration to create something myself however... 
Good luck to all, especially my clear favourite !

Georassic

As a newbie to the forum and a first-time diorama entrant, I checked out the past years' entries, and one thing I noticed was the improvement in photography over the years. So for you forum veterans, how important is the technical and artistic quality of the photo, vs the subject diorama itself? For instance, is there a point where a one-dinosaur diorama becomes just a nice portrait of the model?

Great entries and good luck to all!

Gwangi

Quote from: Georassic on September 06, 2013, 08:01:45 PM
As a newbie to the forum and a first-time diorama entrant, I checked out the past years' entries, and one thing I noticed was the improvement in photography over the years. So for you forum veterans, how important is the technical and artistic quality of the photo, vs the subject diorama itself? For instance, is there a point where a one-dinosaur diorama becomes just a nice portrait of the model?

Great entries and good luck to all!

For me personally, yes, there is a point when some dioramas just become nice portraits. I'm more interested in the artistic quality involved. Creativity, story, composition, accuracy etc. Not to say those portraits aren't nice but nice models are easy to photograph. Some of the best entries use nice models in conjunction with all those things I mentioned.

jurassiraptor

Turret

After some consideration I've cast my votes, wasn't an easy choice.

postsaurischian

For me it was pretty easy to decide for which one I vote :).
I only voted for one, because I want it to win ;D.

Crackington

Well done everyone. Also found it hard picking just 5, there were 12 I liked and 7 or 8 of these were very strong entries, so tough to whittle it down.

Definitely more difficult to pick a winner this year!

Concavenator

I voted 5 dioramas,but there's one that's very impressive.Only time will get the answer,and reveal the 2013 winner  :)

DinoToyForum

Remember, we need to find second and third place winners too, so every vote counts. :)

Georassic

[/quote]

For me personally, yes, there is a point when some dioramas just become nice portraits. I'm more interested in the artistic quality involved. Creativity, story, composition, accuracy etc. Not to say those portraits aren't nice but nice models are easy to photograph. Some of the best entries use nice models in conjunction with all those things I mentioned.
[/quote]
Well-said Gwangi. My votes went to both single- and multi-dino dioramas, but looking at the improvements in photo quality over the few years of competition, I was curious as to what long-time contributors thought.

Federreptil

I got my five, not easy to decide, but possible. I lost only two or three, I like also. My choice is a mixture of 2 portraits of fantastic looking individuals and combinations in a more naturalistic manner. And now I'm very curious, how this selection will match the public mind.

Ikessauro

I too like dioramas as portraits, but the ones that tell a story instead of just being pretty are even better. Of course I picked the ones that have a combination of these aspects in some way.

Simon

Quote from: Juan Andrés on September 07, 2013, 12:54:45 PM
I voted 5 dioramas,but there's one that's very impressive.Only time will get the answer,and reveal the 2013 winner  :)

Yes, I agree with you.  I expect that it will win 1st place.  (I am assuming that you are talking about the same one that impressed me.)   ;)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Georassic on September 07, 2013, 03:45:56 PM

[/quote]
Well-said Gwangi. My votes went to both single- and multi-dino dioramas, but looking at the improvements in photo quality over the few years of competition, I was curious as to what long-time contributors thought.
[/quote]

Having done dioramas a few years now, I will be more than happy to share my thoughts... however, I will wait till the contest ends ;) That way it won't distract too much from the contest, plus it will be a good opportunity to start the feedback series  ;D

docronnie

I really have only 4 but voted 5 entries in the end.  Good Luck to all the participants!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Pangolinmoth

These are all so awesome! Great job everybody!! Love the diversity of creativity this time around and it really looks like you guys put some serious time and energy into making these. Very cool.

Pangolinmoth

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 08, 2013, 02:37:16 AM

Having done dioramas a few years now, I will be more than happy to share my thoughts... however, I will wait till the contest ends ;) That way it won't distract too much from the contest, plus it will be a good opportunity to start the feedback series  ;D

I'll second this and think it would be quite a lot of fun to hear about everyone else's techniques. I know I have always had a blast creating little fun worlds in my camera lens.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Pangolinmoth on September 08, 2013, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 08, 2013, 02:37:16 AM

I'll second this and think it would be quite a lot of fun to hear about everyone else's techniques. I know I have always had a blast creating little fun worlds in my camera lens.

Hey, nice to see you ^-^ I think you entered this year, right? ;)

Pangolinmoth

Thanks Boki! :) I did enter this year! And it's awesome to see the forum alive and kicking!!

mooseman

I like the really well posed and photographed action scenes, but I also like the less serious ones with funny titles.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.