News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandem

working on new sculpts to be posted when finished

Yutyrannus

Cool sculpture! I would definately want to buy this :)!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Awww, it looks cute :) I like the detailing on the head, like the eyes and teeth. My crit would be to try to work on the feathers on the forearms, they look a little chunky. Also, you might want to try photographing the sculpture indoors because the beige colour of the sculpey makes it hard to make out details. Other than that, it's very good.

How are you getting along with the Super Sculpey? Do you like it?

brandem

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 08, 2013, 09:34:17 PM
Awww, it looks cute :) I like the detailing on the head, like the eyes and teeth. My crit would be to try to work on the feathers on the forearms, they look a little chunky. Also, you might want to try photographing the sculpture indoors because the beige colour of the sculpey makes it hard to make out details. Other than that, it's very good.

yeah its great to work with,
now do you mean the down feathers on the arms or the remiges coming off the arms? I was kinda afraid the arms looked too chunky, but then i though hey maybe they are just fluffy, but I will likely shave them down now and redo the feathers on the arms.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on September 08, 2013, 09:42:44 PM

now do you mean the down feathers on the arms or the remiges coming off the arms? I was kinda afraid the arms looked too chunky, but then i though hey maybe they are just fluffy, but I will likely shave them down now and redo the feathers on the arms.
I meant the feathers on the forearms. I think they're a little too uniform in length. Most feathers taper towards the end, and they're not all the same size :)

I think the part of the wing where the "fingers" are (not sure of the terminology) is a bit on the large side. By fingers, I mean the actual fingers of the forearm that have claws on them. But then again, it could just be personal preference. Many birds have puffy feathers.

I hope I'm making sense :)

brandem

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 08, 2013, 09:56:31 PM
Quote from: brandem on September 08, 2013, 09:42:44 PM

I meant the feathers on the forearms. I think they're a little too uniform in length. Most feathers taper towards the end, and they're not all the same size :)

I think the bit of the wing where the "fingers" are (not sure of the terminology) is a bit on the large side. By fingers, I mean the actual fingers of the forearm that have claws on them. But then again, it could just be personal preference. Many birds have puffy feathers.

I hope I'm making sense :)
ah I see what you mean, the remiges are looking a bit cartoony I think, that's what I get for doing them at 1 am, well I think I know just what to do

tyrantqueen

Maybe Wings, Gwangi or Patrx (who are pretty knowledgeable about avian anatomy) could chip in their opinion? :)

brandem

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 08, 2013, 10:05:58 PM
Maybe Wings, Gwangi or Patrx (who are pretty knowledgeable about avian anatomy) could chip in their opinion? :)
Well here's hoping they do, I appreciate your input too though

brandem

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 08, 2013, 09:31:32 PM
Cool sculpture! I would definately want to buy this :)!
And thanks yutyrannus, I'm definitely gonna try to keep the cost down so that anyone who wants one wont have to pay an unfair price for it

Jetoar

Wonderful sculpture friend  ^-^, I like it ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brandem

Hey all, I thought I would just make a single thread in which to place all my sculptures(mods feel free to delete the old ones). I will update with new sculpts and progress as I go along,and as always constructive criticism is welcome and at times demanded, I am always looking to improve my technique and the accuracy of my models,
First an update on an older project, new wings for balaur bondoc(1:10):

hopefully in a few days I will upload pictures of my simosuchus, so if your interested hope to see you back here,

tyrantqueen

The new wings look a lot better :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The wings do look much better !

Note : I merged this topic with your first one to keep everything in one thread. Just post your updates here from now on okay ? :)

brandem

Blade-of-the-Moon

Gorgonzola

That's a great model!  Props for using super sculpey at a small scale, I was never delicate enough to work it without extreme frustration.

And I'm in agreement, the new wings just make the whole piece ten times better.  It'll look great once you paint it up.

brandem

Quote from: Gorgonzola on September 18, 2013, 02:48:13 PM
It'll look great once you paint it up.
Thanks does anyone have any opinion on dromaeosaur  feather colors? I was leaning towards the shade and pattern of a barn owl but any input would be nice.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on September 18, 2013, 04:02:31 PM
Quote from: Gorgonzola on September 18, 2013, 02:48:13 PM
It'll look great once you paint it up.
Thanks does anyone have any opinion on dromaeosaur  feather colors? I was leaning towards the shade and pattern of a barn owl but any input would be nice.
I think the colours are pretty much fair game ;) Although if you wanted to ground in more in reality, maybe you should go for dull, neutral colours (such as whites, brown, blacks, and greys) since most extant raptors today are patterned that way :)

Btw, your idea of a barn owl pattern kinda reminded me of this artwork of a Sinovenator by John Conway

I love his work :))

brandem

wow thanks for the picture, thats very striking.  I knew some research had been done into dino feather color based on preserved melanosomes though thats been called into question based on our lack of knowledge on how melanosomes degrade over time, but while i do like a colorful dinosaur I'm probibly going to stick to a predatory palate based on modern birds,

Jetoar

Wonderful feathers colors like as barn owl  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.