News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandem

hey all thanks for the input on balaur,
not too long ago I mostly finished up my simosuchus,
have a look tell me if he's off at all.

brandem

no love for simosuchus? well that's ok, he was always a favorite of mine, but maybe the model is off, anyone else like herbivorous crocodilians?

Takama

I just now seen this creature.  Seems different, but I like it.    You have plans to cast it and sell it?

brandem

Quote from: Takama on September 20, 2013, 08:25:22 PM
I just now seen this creature.  Seems different, but I like it.    You have plans to cast it and sell it?
yes since he is so petite he will be the first I'm going to try to cast since he is a simple shape and i wont waste too much plastic if i mess up, he will also get a crocodilian paint job, I'm thinking an olive drab, somewhere between crocodiles and alligators

tyrantqueen

I didn't even know this croc existed until a few google searches ago.

My only crit would be that the back and front legs look a bit chunky. Maybe slim them down a little bit? :)

brandem

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 20, 2013, 08:51:31 PM

My only crit would be that the back and front legs look a bit chunky. Maybe slim them down a little bit? :)

ah yes my question about that is would the thick bony scutes on simo have made his body and limbs look more robust?
From what I could find his were rather thick likely to deter large theropods from snatching an easy meal.

Mind you i don't mind putting him on a diet though

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on September 20, 2013, 09:22:23 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 20, 2013, 08:51:31 PM

ah yes my question about that is would the thick bony scutes on simo have made his body and limbs look more robust?
From what I could find his were rather thick likely to deter large theropods from snatching an easy meal.

Mind you i don't mind putting him on a diet though
I see what you mean :) My opinion is just an opinion after all, I'm no expert.

brandem

No no it's a fair assessment, I've seen plenty of paleoart depicting it as a lean critter ie:

But thinking about it overall I decided to lean more towards the idea that it was like modern reptile herbivores sorta chunky and plodding, I could be wrong though I'll think more about it

brandem

hey all I thought I would update with my next project; archaeornithomimus with dragonfly, he is quite gracile

wings

Quote from: brandem on September 16, 2013, 11:43:30 PM

I know it's a bit late but you can probably apply this idea on your next project. The secondaries should be overlapping part of the primaries when the wings are folded (kind of like the way sculpted on your original wing) rather than what you have now where the primaries are overlapping the secondaries. See diagram below (side view of the wing):

brandem

ah I see what you mean there, well nothing is so foregone it cannot be fixed

dinocat

tyrantqueen

Great archaeornithomimus :) I like the detail on the head especially (I always have trouble with sculpting heads)

I also like that you integrated a tree into the sculpture- it adds interest and makes for a nice diorama :)

brandem

Thanks dinocat and thanks tq the dragon fly was in part to give an excuse to have him in that position though I supposed it could be guarding it's nest or putting on a mating display,

Balaur

Thats a beautiful Archaeornithomimus! I love the detailing, the dragonfly. I also love the detail on the tree. Good job! I'll definentally want to get some of these.

Also, how big are your sculpts?

brandem

Quote from: Balaur on September 23, 2013, 02:40:27 PM
Also, how big are your sculpts?

so far I havn't made anything over eight inches long, and archaeornithomimus can easily fit in your palm, right now a different figure I'm working on is 1:30 and is about 5.5 inches long, and ill be uplaoding my 8 inch 1:72 sculpt later today

brandem

hey all the next update is a special one for me since I think every series should have a giant predator, since safari is finally releasing the general public's favorite (only known?) extinct shark species next year I wanted to bring it's mammalian contemporary to the table so that collectors could have their dream dinner date between meg and mel (such a cute couple), tooth to tail mel is nine inches, taking up about eight inches of space, and as I want what I produce to be considered figures and not models, mel is completely detachable from it's base. modeled on a sperm whale mel's head is proportionally larger compared to it's body as its prey consisted of much larger animals than any modern sperm whales.

tyrantqueen

It's moby dick ;) Reminds me of that sculpture that paleoferroequine made a while back. I like the scars on the snout :)

brandem

Hey thanks that would make him male barring the idea that female livyatans had a reason to joust, and I just looked that sculpt up, I think even I know what photo they used for reference on the skin, I was looking at a lot of sperm whale photos for a while there...sigh.

wings

One thing to keep in mind though is the proportion of the head because it appears that males have proportionally larger head than females (http://www.arkive.org/sperm-whale/physeter-macrocephalus/, check the reference at the bottom of the page if you can; the one by Carwardine, M. (2000) Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises. Dorling Kindersley, London). Can't find a better image but here is a diagram from wiki (see below):

Maybe it's the angle but from looking at the sculpture (below, and if the wiki diagram is roughly right), it looks like your animal is kind of a combination of the two sexes (it has the head of a female and a body of a male)...

Quote from: brandem on September 23, 2013, 10:51:57 PM

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.