News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Is that the concept drawing to the Animas aureus modela? :)

brandem

Quote from: Takama on May 27, 2015, 04:20:24 PM
Is that the concept drawing to the Animas aureus modela? :)

It can be, it's very much what I had intended though it's head is tilted rather than strait on, we could always do it like that though

Takama

Dude it looks awsome.   Only thing I suggest changing on the actual model is the jaw would not be as wide and maybe make the lifted foot touch the ground.

brandem

If that's what you want, so you want it walking and not running? That would ad to stability,
And that jaw width is somewhat based on Scott harmans illustration, but we can tone it down.

Takama

What ever width is more plausible for the mouth is fine.     I figured I don't want it to look like it's really screaming for no apparent reason.    I will pm details later (I'm out of town and on my phone)

Concavenator

Is that a Torvosaurus gurneyi?It looks really good,though I would oersonally leave the mouth closed if you want a running pose.Also,what about adding some feathers?Torvosaurus was a megalosaur,from the same family as Sciurumimus,which was feathered.

brandem

Quote from: Concavenator on May 27, 2015, 05:56:59 PM
Is that a Torvosaurus gurneyi?It looks really good,though I would oersonally leave the mouth closed if you want a running pose.Also,what about adding some feathers?Torvosaurus was a megalosaur,from the same family as Sciurumimus,which was feathered.

Yes that was the general genus being aimed at, and the mouth is only open because it intends to drop the hammer on something, I wouldn't imagine it running mouth agape most of the time, and I don't mind feathers on even the largest theropods, but this time I didn't, just imagine if you'd like that it's recent severe irregular molt,

Takama

I'm going by the consensus that sciurumimus was a colurosaur. So I had the torvo  made in scales.

SBell

Quote from: brandem on May 27, 2015, 06:29:10 PM

Yes that was the general genus being aimed at, and the mouth is only open because it intends to drop the hammer on something, I wouldn't imagine it running mouth agape most of the time, and I don't mind feathers on even the largest theropods, but this time I didn't, just imagine if you'd like that it's recent severe irregular molt,

maybe it's just mangy?

brandem

Quote from: SBell on May 27, 2015, 08:41:12 PM

maybe it's just mangy?

Precisely Dino-mange, brought on by mites, a sort of Dino-mite

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brandem on May 28, 2015, 03:57:17 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 27, 2015, 08:41:12 PM

maybe it's just mangy?

Precisely Dino-mange, brought on by mites, a sort of Dino-mite
Something like this one perhaps?

:))

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Tyto_Theropod

UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

brandem

Writing a book about prehistoric life in our state for my new son, all the text is written and just started illustrating and thought i'd share the first painting that's basically finished (which is actually from the third chapter)

brandem

Since I was busy with various things including sculpting I did not get to make a diorama but for fun here is something simple with Asilisaurus

brandem

I thought I'd add my protosphyraena here so we stay up to date

Brocc21

Quote from: brandem on August 31, 2018, 02:16:29 PM
Writing a book about prehistoric life in our state for my new son, all the text is written and just started illustrating and thought i'd share the first painting that's basically finished (which is actually from the third chapter)

Where are you from?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

brandem

Quote from: Brocc21 on February 03, 2019, 03:59:18 AM
Where are you from?

Kentucky, we have Cretaceous soil but no one has really gone looking for dinosaurs, so the whole dinosaurs/Cretaceous chapter is extrapolated from dinosaur finds in neighboring states, so the third chapter is a day for Appalachiosaurus.

Brocc21

Oh yeah Appalachia! Now I'm interested  ;)
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've been very tempted to make an Appalachiasaurus for the Park here, but I just can't it all worked out in my head, there's the lack of fossil arms issue, if it has tiny two clawed hands it would be pretty similar to my juvenile Gorgosaurus.

brandem

Yes as I recall they had originally pegged it with powerful 3 clawed arm but then suddenly did a 180, I supposed based on some cladistic analysis. Which would be interesting as it would put appalachiosaurus and whatever predicated dryptisaurus in the same general area where they would have had run-ins.

But in general I wanted to cover several time periods/animals in the state
Chronologically:
Cameroceras
Edestus
Appalachiosaurus
Megalonyx

All predicated by the fact that when I was growing up no one could really tell me what animals lived close to home. As interesting as the dinosaurs in Texas or Montana it is very rewarding to be able to talk about your on home in the grand scale of time.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.