News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Berlin impressions

Started by postsaurischian, September 11, 2013, 05:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

I've just returned from Berlin and I took the camera with me.

Part 1:  The retro Aquarium exterior facade

You can enter the Berlin Aquarium from two sides.
The main entrance is on the street side where all the normal traffic is going on.

This is the museum's back entrance, which is one way to enter the Berlin Zoo.
When I visited this place for the first time in 1976 I instantly fell in love with this life-sized Iguanodon statue.
Since then I've been always having a thing for retro Iguanodons, especially in this pose :) and I am very glad that almost nothing has changed (maybe a bit more moss on the Iguano's head ;D).

Isn't that one of the most beautiful portals imaginable :)?

These sculptures & reliefs are very old and the translation for Triceratops - "Ochsensaurier" :o ;D - is very funny.

....... more Iguanodon ;D .......

Right on the opposite there's the Lions' compound

The Lioness was respectfully facing the Iguanodon right in this moment :).

Hey Seijun, I guess you like this one too ;). It's a shame they still haven't managed to make a figure of this beauty.
If I was the curator of the Berlin Aquarium it would be the centerpiece of the museum shop :).

>>  The Berlin (Aquarium) Wall - it's soo retro ;D:

Gwangi

Very cool, I've never seen this before but feel like I should have. They're all well made as inaccurate as they are. I really like the ammonites and some like the Triceratops, speak for themselves.

Zhuchengotyrant

-Zhuchengotyrant

Jetoar

Cool and wonderful images friend, I would like to visit this zoo  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Thanks for the comments :)!

Part 2:  The Humboldt University Museum of Natural History

Unfortunately almost every room except for the main hall was closed (renovations?). So my plan to make really good pics of the Brachiosaurus (Giraffatitan) failed. I would have to go to the second floor (which was closed). Finding an ideal motif making a low-angle shot is nearly impossible. The beast is 13 m high and even with my back pressed in the farthermost corner of the hall its proportions are deformed ....... too big ;D.     .... so is the Diplodocus.

Sorry, amargasaurus cazaui - because of all the closing I wasn't able to find any basal Ceratopsians, the closest related thing I could find is this here :-\:

At my first visit in 1976 I bought some postcards of the current skeleton mounts. I put them in here for comparison.
Forgive their poor quality. I was 9 back then and didn't take care enough for things ::) ;D.

....... so this is the main hall:

... oops, my favourite 'modern Dinosaur', the Shoebill :)

tyrantqueen

Magnificent skeletons and photography :)

Seijun

The iguanodon statue is epic. It's head looks like a sock puppet!
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks for remembering my request !! I love all the pictures of the Brachiosaur mount...especially those that allow you to see the Diplo in compare. Thanks for taking so many of them, I could study that dinosaur for days !!So very kind of you, and thanks. Just sorry they had the other halls closed so you could not view the other material. Perhaps next time .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jetoar

I want to visit this museum! thanks for share friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Everything_Dinosaur

Wonderful pics brings back happy memories.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.